If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

That Summer I Loved You

*** Sam's P.O.V. ***
“Hey Sweetie! How was you flight? Are you having a good time at school? Oh, I missed you so much!” My dad talked a mile a minute as he gave me a big bear hug in the terminal.
“Hi Dad! My flight was good; yes school is fun, and I missed you too!” I answered his questions returning the hug. I really had missed being at home. The sights, the smells, the feel of everything, it was so comfortable and…home.
“Let’s get out of here quickly. I brought your car and Catcher’s in it alone.” My father led me to an exit so I could see my babies.
“Oof!” I grunted as Catcher lunged himself at me when we opened the car door. “I missed you too boy!” I laughed as he assaulted my face with his wet tongue. “Dad, a little help please.” I suggested trying to get Catcher off my stomach.
“Oh right! C’mere boy, c’mon in the car.” He whistled and pointed at the car. Thankfully Catcher took a hint and leapt off me and into the backseat of my Impala.
Driving my car never felt so good! I think it was the fact that I owned it and wasn’t just catching a bus or taxi.
“I’ll get it!” I called to my dad as I heard the phone ring. “Hello?”
“Sam?”
“Trè? What’s up?!” I was happy to hear from one of my friends.
“I was just calling to see if you wanted to come swim at Starr’s house?” he sounded equally happy, probably because he would get to see Starr in a bathing suit again.
“Sure! I’ll get my stuff together and come right over!” we said good-bye and I ran to get my bathing suit on.
“Dad! I’m going swimming at Starr’s okay?!” I shouted as I ran out the front door, barely waiting for his approval.

“Sam! You made it, YAY!” Trè yelled in a high voice before running over and hugging me.
“Hi Trè!” I choked as he squeezed the breath out of me. “Trè I can’t breathe!”
“Whoops, sorry.” He laughed releasing me. “Hey did you hear about our new album? We’re going on tour again in about two weeks!” he shouted ecstatically.
“Really?! That’s great I’m really happy for you guys!” I really was. I looked around surveying the little get together here in Starr’s backyard.
“He’s not here yet.” Trè whispered noticing me scanning the yard. “Late as usual.”
“Oh. So, so he is coming?” I asked, trying to sound non-chalant.
“Yeah,” Trè answered.
“Speak of the devil,” I muttered as the wooden gate creaked open and Billie Joe came in. Adrienne was with him; three guesses as to where he was!
“Sorry I’m late guys! I had to do something.” Billie panted. Trè burst into laughter at his statement.
“We know!” he laughed embarrassing Adrienne and Billie; making them both blush. I couldn’t help but stifle a giggle myself even though I could feel that my cheeks were hot and it wasn’t from today’s high temperature.

***
“Boy it’s hot, huh?” Adrienne stated trying to make conversation as we sat on lawn chairs trying to get a nice light tan.
“Mmhm,” I nodded taking another sip of my Coke.
“Yeah…Samantha,” she started.
“Sam.” I corrected.
“Sam,” she repeated getting a feel for it. “Did, oh this sounds awfully paranoid and silly of me but did you and Billie Joe ever…go out?” she seemed hesitant to asked me that and I admit when she finally came out with it I nearly shot out my drink through my nose!
“Me and Billie Joe? Seriously, you thought we dated?” I stared at her in disbelief once I swallowed.
“Yes. It’s just you guys act; the way you two act I thought maybe you had a messy break up or something. And sometimes it’s like he’s only dating me to make you jealous.” She confessed.
“Adrienne I have never dated Billie, we’re just good friends. Like a brother and sister. And he really does love you. Whenever I see him or talk to him, which mind you is very little with school and what not, he can’t shut up about you, alright. I would never try to break you two up, ever. Understand?” I explained to her look of worry. When I finished she looked at ease again.
“Thanks Sam. That meant a lot. I can’t believe I ever thought those things!” he recovered from her mostly false feelings.
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
“So what were you two talking about?” I interrogated Adie as I put and arm around her as I walked with her to get another soda.
“Nothing sweetie.” She answered coyly.
“Really because you know it looked like something to me.” I retorted.
“Are you seriously doing this? You feel threatened by her or something? I said nothing okay, just let it go.” She responded back hotly.
“I’m sorry, forgive me?” I asked hanging my head.
“Yes.” She smiled and gave me a kiss. As I began a little make-out session I peered out of the corner of my eye to see if Sam was watching. She wasn’t she was flirting with Starr’s twin brother, Jet.
What the heck am I doing?! I’m trying to make a girl, not even my ex-girlfriend, jealous by fooling around with my girlfriend! All those Jurassic Monkeys have screwed up my brain; I’m so regretting rebelling against that stupid health teacher that told me drugs were bad! I broke away from Adie and looked in her eyes. She smiled so I took off at full speed towards the pool.
Without looking back and without thinking I swan-dived into the cold water. I opened my eyes while still underwater and looked at my surroundings. Everything looked blurry and soon my eyes began to sting. I gazed around some more ignoring my eyes cry to close them and escape the irritation. Sam is tiny; scary thin, I thought looking at her half submerged body. I think I could fit my hands around her waist and my finger tips would touch. As I thought about this I suddenly felt lightheaded and everything went dark for a minute. Oh my God, I’m drowning, my head screamed as I kicked my legs furiously to get back to the surface. Spluttering and gasping I broke through to the air and felt my body stop starving for oxygen.
“Man are you alright?!” Mike asked in a frantic tone. “We didn’t know what happened to you. You dove in and didn’t come out. I almost had a heart attack imagining you smash your head against the pool floor and losing consciousness then not being able to get back up!” he puffed winded after a long description with no breaths.
“I’m okay. I’m okay.” I muttered hoarsely.
“Billie! Are you alright? Are you hurt?” Adrienne had just gotten over to where we were since she had been on the porch. Her cheeks were pink from the heat and her brow was furrowed with concern.
“I’m fine Adie, just fine,” I repeated swimming over to the ledge and hoisting myself out of the water.
“Maybe we should go,” she suggested quietly.
“Okay.” I agreed.
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
Is he insane?! He could have killed himself! And for what to get my attention? Well he’s probably celebrating now because it worked. He scared me half to death! I was ignoring him because I didn’t want to see him and kiss him again…well at least want to.
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
“Hey Bill!” Mike had just called me. I was at home and was eating a sandwich.
“Hey Mike.” I mumbled through a mouthful of bread, lettuce, and turkey.
“I’m worried about Sam.” He stated. He definitely wasn’t beating around the bush.
“Why?” I asked swallowing.
“I can literally see all her ribs, I counted them myself man!” he blurted.
“Yeah I know,” I added solemnly.
“She’s like a walking skeleton, I’ll bet she only weighs like eighty pounds!”
“Probably,” I answered uncomfortably.
“Dude are you alright?”
“Fine. I ‘m fine.” I said taking another bite.
“Whatever you say.” He knew this was a touchy subject with me…why he even brought it up I’ll never know; I guess, like me, he’s scared.
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
“So Jet likes you.” Starr said casually one day while we kept Ana company. Green Day was on the road again and she missed her husband.
“Really?” I liked Jet too he was nice, and cute. I guess when it comes down to things I honestly just wanted to fill the void. I needed someone. And the one person I wanted remained unattainable.
“Are you going to ask him out?” Ana asked rocking Stella gently to put her to sleep.
“I don’t know? Do you guys think it’s too soon?” I asked. Thinking about Jared still brought a lump to my throat, as it should I suppose.
“Depends on you I guess, are you ready to move on or hold onto what you had?” Ana had become quite wise since having Estelle.
I thought about it before responding. “Throw me the phone,” I sighed.
“Oh this is weird if you marry him we’ll be related, like sister-in-laws!” Starr gasped as I dialed her number. I gave her a look and put the phone to my ear.
“You would be sister-in-laws.” Ana said stating the obvious.
“See!” cried Starr as if it had been what she was saying all along.
“Hi Jet. It’s Sam. I was wondering if you wanted to go out sometime? Okay how about tonight? Great we can go see a movie! See ya at around seven, okay? Bye.” I hung up the phone and felt really weird.
“Now was that hard?” Starr laughed.
“Very.” I replied.
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
“Ana just called, Sam has a date.” Mike plopped down onto the next to me as I instantly became jealous.
“I’m going to go call Adie.” I said angrily.
“Don’t you want to know who’s the lucky guy?” Mike called.
“No.” I firmly replied. The torture is only beginning, I thought bitterly.
“Hey! I’m not available right now so leave a message and I’ll get back to you!” D**n, I got her voicemail. I slammed the phone down and looked at my watch. I was mad so I let it out onto some paper. It may not have really been true for the most part but it made me feel better.
All brawn and no brains
And all those nice things
You finally got what you want
Someone to look good with
And light your cigarette
Is this what you really want?

I figured out what you're all about
And I don't think I like what I see
Sooooo ...
I hope I won't be there in the end
If you come around.

How long will he last
Before he's a creep in the past
And you're alone once again?
Will you pop up again and be my
"Special friend" 'till the end?
And when will that be?

I figured out what you're all about
And I don't think I like what I see
Sooooo ...
I hope I won't be there in the end
If you come around.

I figured out what you're all about
And I don't think I like what I see
Sooooo ...
I hope I won't be there in the end
If you come around.

Mindlessly strumming I made up some music to go with the song.

Sam is really starting to open up about the idea of dating after her fiancèe’s death obviously. The things that worry me about her are her weight,her very quick recovery after Jared’s death and little mourning, and finally her confusing actions.
I wanted her kiss. Over and over that feeling played in my mind. We both knew that considering the situation, it was wrong, but we could let it be right.
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
“So what movie should we see?” I asked Jet.
“Um let’s see…at the drive-in they’re having a movie marathon of the great classics from early Hollywood.” He replied.
“Okay that sounds cool let’s go!” I grabbed my purse and we went to get in his car.

Sitting on the hood of his little Camry as we watched Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard steal masks seemed so perfect. Jet’s a great guy but ever since I called him it didn’t feel right, maybe it was too soon. Wow, this is like the shortest relationship ever!
“This was really fun Jet but I don’t think it’ll work.” I said quietly as he dropped me off.
“Oh good! I mean, I think you’re great and all but you’re just not for me but I had fun,” he sighed as if relieved I felt the same way.
I waved to him as he pulled out of the drive way then went inside the house.
“So Jet wasn’t perfect, huh?” my dad asked from his spot on the couch where he was watching some show on cereal, must be FoodNetwok.
“Nah,” I responded.
“Well don’t worry sweetheart, you’re young, you’ve got plenty of time to find Mr. Right.” He said focusing on his show.
“Or a Mr. Wright?” I mumbled aloud.
“What?” curse my dad’s good ears.
“I was just think out loud.” I answered.

*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
“Hello?” Trè said picking up his cellphone off the coffee table.
“Who is it?” I asked.
“Sam.” He mouthed. “Oh really? Well I’d love to but I have a girlfriend remember? Okay, fine bye.” Trè hung up and began to smile contently.
“What are you all smilely about?” I asked suspiciously.
“Sam has finally given into my charm.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“She asked me out.”
“No way!”
“Yes way,” he laughed. Gah this is what he’s wanted forever.
“What are you doing now?” I sighed still angry.
“Texting Lisea.” He shrugged.
“About?” I inquired.
“I’m breaking up with her temporarilly.” He replied.
“How can you break up with someone temporarilly?”
“You give them a date card.” He answered rolling his eyes.
“Which is?”
“You let that person date any one person the want so you can see someone else and they can use it whenever then you get back together like nothing happened,” he explained.
“Did you just make that up?” I asked.
“…Yes.” He said taking a moment to think.
“You are so stupid. No girl would ever agree to that.”
“Oh yeah well check this out!” he handed me his cellphone so I could read what Lisea had texted.
Sounds good. UR ON!” I read aloud.
“See. And you didn’t believe it would work,” he said with a sly grin.
“I cannot believe she would do that.”
“Believe it. You know you should try this. It might work so you could go out with Sam too.” He yawned.
“Dude you have problems.”
“That’s what they keep telling me but I don’t believe them.”
“Which proves them right.”
“Maybe, now hush.”