If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

Strange Dreams and New Friends

"And do you Samantha Marie Kratzer take Billie Joe Armstrong to be lawfully wedded husband?" the pastor asked turning to face me.

"I do?" I responded in the traditional way but unsure as to my real feelings.

"Then you may now kiss the bride," the parson continued clapping his hands together at that final statement motioning for us to move in for the peck that sealed my fate. I turned to face Billie and was horrified to see he was only wearing a towel! I looked down at my own ensemble to see I too wore only a towel. My body moved in for the smooch against my will. My head screamed for me to stop until it was too late. Our lips were an inch apart when I sat up on the couch, sunlight streaming in through the blinds. It was only dream. The nightmare lingered in my thoughts for the rest of the morning. I entered the bathroom and my peripheral vision spotted the organizer still open with Billie's number scrawled on it. Maybe I would call later today to see if he wanted to hangout, I thought.

I changed into some old clothes and called my dad, who was downstairs dinking a cup of coffee to come up to start painting my room. We taped and primed the walls before our first break. After allowing the primer to dry we began on the actual color. I had chosen a light gray which would have a bright green bordering the top of walls with little ivy vines which I would free handing.

When we completed the painstaking aquarelle we picked up the tarp and tools that lay scattered around the room and peeled off the tape. Once the paint dried we would place the furniture in their appropriate places and put up some snapshots of natural beauties that I had taken. They were black and white still life shots I had edited to pull out the greens to coordinate with the room. My dad had taken them to a shop and had them blown up to gallery size and framed.

I washed sweaty paint spattered body before I went into my almost completed room and retrieved my cell phone. Glancing at the organizer I quickly entered his number labeling it Billie. I hit the call button and was greeted by an enthusiastic, "Yello."

"Billie it's Samantha."

"Hey, I take you found my note."

"Yeah, so I was wondering if you know, we could hangout sometime today."
"Of course, uh how 'bout now?"

"Great! Now is fine."

"So I'll come on over then?"

"Yes I will you in about five minutes?" I said checking my watch.

"Bye."

"Bye." I spoke that word as he hung up. About three minutes later the doorbell rang. I opened it to a very out of breath Billie. "Did you run over here?" I questioned not even bothering to hide my smile.

'Yeah, why?" he answered taking deep breaths while doubled over with his hands on his knees and looking down.

"Hey, don't do that after running so fast you'll make yourself sick." I warned.
"Then what should I do Dr. Kratzer." He replied sarcastically.

"You should stand up straight, look up and put your hands behind your head." I answered non-chalantly.

"Oh," he retorted as his face fell. "So what do you wanna do now that I have arrived?"

"How's your game?" I asked suddenly very serious.

"What are you talking about" he asked meeting my intense gaze with one of confusion.

"Soccer, how good are you at soccer?" I rephrased.

"Okay, I guess; I never really play much," he shrugged.

"Well were going to right now follow me." He followed me through the house and out the door that led to the garage where I found my soccer ball and the net I had yet to set up. "Hey you can help me with this anytime now you know," I cried as I struggled with the pieces and ball all at once.

"Oh sorry, here you give me that," he replied taking the frame pieces from my hands. We carried it towards the backyard where we assembled it making sure each piece was connected appropriately. Turning the goal at an easy shooting angle we began the game. We played World Cup a game where you choose the name of any country and try to score. Normally you have two people per country and as many countries as you want. Billie lost every time most were because I scored first but when he finally got a shot in he forgot to call out the name of his country. All though he begged that I would let it slide, I was merciless.

At about three we had a visitor. Billie's friend Mike came over; to peak his head over the tall wooden fence to laugh at Billie for being beat by a girl. "Well if you're so good you come play her." He snarled at his lanky friend.

Within ten minutes Mike had taken off his white shirt and was waving it around in a truce. He lay on the ground panting while Billie called, "I told you so," from the side of the goal. We went inside for some water bottles, but I ended up having to take them on the tour of the house. I finished the circuit with my room; a look of awe on the boys faces.

"So," Mike began, "What shall we do now that we've had our butts kicked for the day?"

"Hmm... what do you want to do Samantha" Billie said turning to face me.

"Uh well we could... " I trailed off not knowing what we could do. All I ever did were things that you did by yourself now get your minds out of the gutter. "What do you guys like to do?"

"Nothing," Mike replied simply.

"Listen to music, play music, stuff like that I guess," stated Billie.

"Well then let's do something like that," I said sitting up from my bedroom floor in my excitement. The arts had always excited me but I never had done much with music besides play really bad on a recorder in the third grade.