If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

Come On Over

We set off for Billie's house to go listen to some music and afterwards watch a movie. The two boys, my friends, introduced me two the beautiful world that is music. I found my fingers drumming along to the rhythm of a band I had never heard of. I immersed myself in the sound as I laid down next to Billie on his bed closing my eyes as I became lost in sound. This other world was something that filled me with a need for more, a bit like nicotine. Billie was humming along with some songs his foot tapping in time with the beat, while Mike who was lying at the end of the bed followed the bass line repeating "Dirnt, dirnt, dirnt... "

Before we knew it, it was four o'clock. We slowly went into the den and out the door back to my house to watch a movie on my dad's new plasma screen T.V. I pulled out our box of movies so we choose. Billie said that I should pick since I was the only girl and because they were my movies. I went through and pulled out 'Ladder 49' with Joaquin Phoenix. At the end I was bawling like a baby, and out of the corner of my eye I was sure I saw Billie wipe away a few tears. I definitely heard Mike sniffle. We are such wimps, I thought, laughing to myself.

"Hey Billie, what's this all about?" Mike teased pretending to cry and wipe away his tears secretively.

"I don't know, but what was all the sniffles near you 'cause if you had somethin'over there I am so ticked off at you right now," Billie said trying to look angry but failing miserably.

"Hey guys uh, what are you going to be doing tomorrow?"

"Dunno... " Mike began.

"Hey wanna have a slumber party?!" Billie shrieked with a lisp and flicking his wrist.

"But you're guys," I spluttered

"Do you know that for sure," Mike whispered, pointing a finger casually at Billie. I snickered.

"What do I have something on Mike's face?" he cried slapping Mike's face, leaving pink marks.

"Ow! Idiot! " Mike yelled slapping Billie's face as payback. Both boys had hand prints on their cheeks. I left and came home to eat dinner with my father. We ordered a pizza, half pepperoni and sausage, half black olive and some pineapple chunks. I picked off the chunks of fruit saving them for last along with the crust. I was so hungry I consumed four pieces of the 'pie' in a matter of minutes. When we had finished eating I grabbed two Tupperware dishes and placed the left-over pieces inside.

While washing the dishes my thoughts trailed off to Billie and the future. Would we ever be more than friends, would our friendship last past high school? So many questions surfaced to the top of my brain that I had trouble sleeping. My dreams contained his voice as we danced to an infectious beat.

It was seven a.m. when I woke up. I went to the kitchen to fix a fruit salad for breakfast. Slowly I walked up the winding staircase munching on crisp apple slices, plump grapes, and just-ripe-enough bananas. I shed my clothes for my morning shower neatly folding them and putting them in a hamper. The steam fogged the mirror and the shower's sliding door. I stepped into the tub and was instantly taken in by the warmth. When I got out I dressed and applied my make-up and pulled my long brown hair up into a ponytail, leaving only my stubborn bangs covering my shocking blue eyes. My dad always told me that when I was born that everyone in the room gasped. They became darker and lighter with my mood and had the slightest amount of silver in the irises.

I went to Billie's house around nine. I knocked on the door twice, and just before my third knock the door opened revealing a girl with reddish-brown hair talking on the phone as she jerked her thumb behind her and mouthing "He's upstairs." I found this a little nerve-wracking, ad though I had been talked about non-stop by the Armstrong's. Walking up the stairs to Billie's room my thoughts continued to race for answers causing my slightly obsessive-compulsive tick to be exposed to the world. My fingers began to drum rapidly against my thigh in odd beats not really following any particular pattern.