If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

Crushin' on You

"Sam!" Billie smiled he was accompanied by none other than Mike who waved energetically before turning back to his bass. Billie's room resembled that of just about any other sixteen year old boy's. It had clothes hastily shoved under the bed a tattered backpack resting against the wall abandoned during the summer. It also contained a single guitar case showcasing a blue electric guitar, covered in stickers. It rested perfectly balanced against a desk with papers scattered all over it. The bed was made, but very wrinkled as though it had been laid on recently. My tick increased at this sight since I became a perfectionist shortly after my mother and brother's death. I figured if I could keep everything else in order it would be like nothing happened.

I quickly smoothed my clothes and brushed away a few dust bunnies before taking a seat between the two boys. The room had definitely looked better the last time I had been here. "So, Billie who was that girl who let me in?" I asked trying to break a bout of uncomfortable silence that had formed when I arrived.

"What did she look like?" he replied.

"Um, she had reddish brown hair and was talking on the phone-" Before I could finish Billie and Mike answered in unison.

"Anna!" They cried out as if they were on some game show.

"Who's Anna?" I said.

"She's my sister, well she the youngest sister I have," he began.

"How many siblings do you have?" I thought out-loud, picturing the woman who lived in a shoe.

"I have six counting myself," he answered shrugging his shoulders.

"Wow..." Now I knew why he had to fight for the bathrooms. I thought, while he ticked them off on his fingers.

"There's David who's the oldest, then Allen, Marcy, Holly, Anna, and finally me," he said, throwing his arms up in the air when he said 'me'.

"Interesting," I whispered when he concluded the list. Billie was suddenly a bit on edge. I leaned over to Mike and asked what was up with him.

"Billie recognizes signs when his brothers or sisters are going to burst in and
embarrass him," he responded. Within the blink of an eye Billie was tackled to the floor by a swirl of color. The mass that pinned him on the carpet turned out to be Billie's oldest brother David followed by Allen. The two boys then proceeded to sing, "Billie and Whats-her-face sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage!"

"Get off me!" Billie squirmed to get out from under their combined weight that kept him down. When he emerged his face was blushing more furiously than I had seen anyone else's do...ever!

*** Billie's P.O.V. ***

They just had to do that didn't they; I mean I don't even know if I actually like Samantha. But then again they do love to torment and embarrass me. I'll make a mental note to kill them later. Samantha giggled freely with Mike, oh heck they were rolling on the floor howling, Mike actually started crying! I could feel my face flush again this time it was a scarlet color rather than a pinkish-red. I excused myself to go to the bathroom where I proceeded to splash water on my face and regain composure before setting foot in my bedroom where I could hear Mike and Samantha talking. My brothers were downstairs reenacting the scene for my mother and sisters. I could hear my mom's soft chuckle and Holly's, Anna's, and Marcy's shrieks of amusement. Great now I was the laughingstock of my family and friends!

By now Mike and Samantha had calmed down along with the rest of our home. I walked back in and Mike snickered so I shot him a look that said "I'm gonna strangle you in your sleep if you don't shut up!" He quickly stopped. Samantha did nothing accept blush slightly when I sat back down next to her, but I ignored it thinking she was stifling a laugh too.

*** Samantha's P.O.V. ***

Why did I have to blush, now he's probably thinking that I like him, when I don't, do I?

When I left Billie's house I was so excited tomorrow they were going to take me to Berkeley's local punk scene, Gilman Street. It was an old warehouse that had been renovated to hold hundreds of punks from all over the Bay Area to come together and listen and mosh to the local bands. Billie's and Mike's band would be performing for the first time there and they said, "What better way to introduce her to real music then from us!"