If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

Sweet Children and Sweet Kisses

He’d called me Sam, not Samantha I hadn’t corrected him. I have never done that until now.
The boys had told me to dress regular for tonight’s main event. After my shower I put on some of the new things I had bought in North Carolina, a Henley and a pair of tight skinny leg jeans with some converses which I dug out of the bottom of a yet-to-be-unpacked box. I pulled out a bottle of hair gel and mouse scrunching my dark brown hair. While applying my mascara, eyeliner, and a light shadow I pondered what the set would sound like. Would it be loud; or love songs, slow romantic ballads perhaps, I really had no idea since I had never heard them play.
Billie called at around two o’clock to tell me he and Mike would be coming to pick me up at around five-ish. From there it would be about forty-five minutes to get to the Gilman. They’re set would start at six thirty. To amuse us until then we would watch the other bands sets.
The moment of truth was steadily approaching as the clock crept towards four forty-five. Just as the hands of the clock struck there was a planned out rapping on the door. There stood Billie Joe and Mike, my best friends as well as a new face. “Samantha, this is our drummer John Kiffmeyer or Al Sobrante as he likes to be called” Mike said introducing us to each other. I felt Billie’s gaze sweeping over my figure so I turned towards him.
“You look really pre-beautiful Sam” he whispered averting his eyes from mine. Al was defiantly older than us by at least one year; he just seemed to know more about what we were going to go do. He just had an air about his jaunty figure.
After my dad finally met the allusive trio he gave us leave to set out on our journey to the Gilman. Of course he didn’t know we were going there (cough music Nazi cough). He thought we were going out to see a movie and then grabbing a burger (salad for me).
In the van we were jammed in we debated over T.V., radio stations, even food. I could tell we were all be great friends for a long time.
Car rides with my dad were always boring and usually filled with awkward pauses, but riding Billie, Mike, and Al; well everything was loud, fast, and crude, similar to the music we’d listened to the day I came over. We played I-spy once on the highway, that is until Mike, Al, and I got tired of Billie only describing trees. For example: “I spy with my little eye something tall…”
“Uhhh… Is it Mike” Al asked.
“Nope”
“A tree” I answered rolling my eyes.
“Right, okay I spy with my little eye something green…” Billie said scratching his head.
“A tree” I replied in monotone.
“Yeah, okay I spy-“I cut him off.
“Lemme guess it’s um… a tree” I said sarcastically.
“Actually… yeah it was a tree” his face fell as he revealed the truth. I laughed he was really cute… wait did I think that?
We reached the Gilman just in time, I think that if we had been in the van for a moment longer Mike would have let go of the wheel and strangled Billie. I helped unload instruments and other equipment so Mike decided he’d come up with a nickname for me, ‘Roadie’. Well I suppose that it was better than Al’s suggestion, ‘Al’s Personal Assistant’. I shuddered at the thought.
Billie came with me to find a good spot to watch the set before their band, Sweet Children, went on. We found a nice spot close to the side of the stage. He quickly gave me a few ‘moshing tips’ (just for good measure) before I wished him luck and he scurried away ‘backstage’, which was really outside the back of the Gilman.
“Alright everybody this next band is new here so lets se what they’ve got okay, here’s SWEET CHILDREN!” a guy announced as Sweet Children filed on stage.
“HEY! We’re Sweet Children and we would like to dedicate our set to a girl who came with us to hear some REAL music!” Billie screamed into the microphone. I felt myself go crimson as Billie pointed at me his eyes focusing on me as everyone else turned to get a look at the fore mentioned girl. Jeez Billie why’d you have to go and open your big mouth? I thought. “Okay this song is called At The Library” he screeched.
Hey there lookin’ at me
Tell me what do you see
But you quickly turn your head away
Try to find the words I could use
Don’t have the courage to come up to you
My chance is looking a bit grey

Staring cross the room
Are you leaving soon?
I just need a little time

What is it that drives me mad?
Girls like you that I never had
What is it about you that I adore?
What makes me feel so much pain?
That makes me go so insane
What is it about you that I adore?

Staring cross the room
Are you leaving soon?
I just need a little time
One more time…Whoa!

Why did you have leave so soon?
Why did you have to walk away?
Oh well it happened again
She walked away with her boyfriend
Maybe we’ll meet again some day
Maybe we’ll meet again some day
Maybe we’ll meet again some day
Some day…


That from a band in there garage phase was… unbelievable! “Alright!” Wow Billie was obnoxious on stage! “This next song is called ‘The Judge’s Daughter’” he yelled.
Princess in a school girl’s dream
May I please speak with you?
I’m having troubles with control
And its all because of you
Today I kept on falling down
I thought it was the street
So I look down at my shoes
They were on the wrong feet

I find hard to be myself
(Can you please explain?)
I do not think that it’s my health
(You’re the one to blame)
You’re the one I wish I had and
Now my girlfriend’s getting mad
(I cannot call this sane)

Today as I was walking down
You bumped into me
You said ‘Excuse me’ and walked away
As I dropped to my knees
I prayed to the being in the sky
That my parents told me of
I asked about you but no reply
No clues about your love!

I find hard to be myself
(Can you please explain?)
I do not think that it’s my health
(You’re the one to blame)
You’re the one I wish I had and
Now my girlfriend’s getting mad
(I cannot call this sane)

Can we find a way?
So that you can stay
I think I’m gonna pop

I find hard to be myself
(Can you please explain?)
I do not think that it’s my health
(You’re the one to blame)
You’re the one I wish I had and
Now my girlfriend’s getting mad
(I cannot call this sane)

Can we find a way?
So that you can stay
I think I’m gonna pop!

Once they finished the song Mike leaned over and whispered something in Billie’s ear which caused him to smile devilishly. Oh Boy!
“Hey Roadie come up here!” Mike cried. No! No! NO! , my head screamed as my body inched its way through the pit towards the stage. This would defiantly be a BAD thing!
“Now that you’re up here we want you to sit on that amp or dance or what ever the heck you want ‘Kay” Billie whispered. I could feel his hot breath blow my hair slightly, shivers racked through my entire body. The next song started up as I focused on the crowd but I could feel him glancing back at me as the fans jumped up and down.
The energy was like nothing else, they really did love what they did, I could tell by that wild look that Billie got in his green eyes whenever he did something crazy; the way he provoked the ‘moshers’ and squirted them with his water bottle.
Sweet Children came off the stage with me in tow, red-faced and sweaty but extremely content none the less. I did what I never would have done if I had not been completely over-taken with adrenaline. I had danced like a fool, and even staged dived! I was gleefully smitten with that stage because for once I wasn’t Samantha, uptight perfectionist who never gets out of hand, I was Roadie, I was Sam, free to be myself, spontaneous, and the girl who tells you to “Shut up and dance!” This girl was who I am while onstage, like some Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde persona.
“You guys were great” an unfamiliar face said while patting us on the back. “I didn’t think that this young lady would have those kinds of balls” he said beaming.
“Well Roadie here’s a very complex individual Larry” Mike responded returning the ecstatic smile.
“Sam this is Lawrence Livermore, founder of this lovely establishment and of the awesome band ‘The Lookouts’.” Billie insightfully shared as I reached out to shake Larry’s hand.
“HOT FEME AT TWELVE O’CLOCK!” A boyish voice roared from behind me. I spun around nearly colliding with the body of a pair of blue eyes a shade lighter than mine. “Hey Sexy my name’s Cool, Trè Cool” He said extending his hand towards me. I was taken aback by his forward, say before thinking (if at all) attitude. I slowly extended my hand out to meet his but found myself being pulled towards him by my wrist until he had me in a dip and was trying to kiss me.
“Trè, man get off her” Thank God Billie saved me before he planted a sloppy one on me.
“Sorry but your really hot and I was thinkin’ that you and me could-“Mike slapped a hand over Trè’s mouth before he could finish his perverse sentiment.
“And now you’ve met drumming genius and otherwise complete moron Frank Edwin Wright the III a.k.a. Trè Cool. Yeah he is this perverse, hyper, and lewd 24/7” Larry spoke smacking a hand to his forehead and shaking his head at Trè; who was trying to escape Mike’s grasp and wiggling his eyebrows at me implying.
I had never been as confused as to whether to be flattered that someone was attracted to me or utterly insulted at how desperate someone could be. That in itself was what made Trè Cool well, Trè Cool.
When we finally came back to our street dark had swallowed up the clear skies and it was about a quarter till nine.
Billie walked me to the front door since I was the last person to be dropped off and he was playing the full gentleman role tonight, opening the car door for me, and letting me go through the door first. As I reached for the doorknob I stopped, turned around and gave Billie a peck on the cheek to thank him for a wonderful evening. His hand flew up to the spot where my lips grazed his skin as a goofy smile was plastered on to his face and he began to walk to his house waving energetically. I curled the corners of lips to form a small smile and walked inside.