Status: Active- slowly

All Figured Out

It's Confusing

Matt was confused. His best friend, Vinny "Ladies Man" Vegas, had just kissed him on the month, not days after hearing Alex and Zack now suddenly had a thing.

Sure, sometimes he and Vinny would get too drunk and play kiss each other, but on the cheek, and it wasn't weird. But now? Matt wasn't sure how to feel. He knows he shouldn't enjoy it, not only because Vinny's his best friend, but because he had a girlfriend back home.

He knew Zack was right though, he had to talk to Vinny, even if that meant it had to be awkward.

Pushing himself off the ground he walked a few doors down and placed his hand on the doorknob, twisting it softly. His fingers felt numb against the metal, and he noticed his palms quickly became clammy.

Turning the knob just a little more and pressing his other hand on the door itself, he pushed the door open slowly, almost like he didn't want it to make a sound.

And he guessed maybe he didn't, because then Vinny would know he was back and he knew the slightly younger man would want to talk about what just happened not even twenty minutes ago.

He tried to be quiet in closing the door.

“Matt?”

Shit, Matt thought. He was caught, but he supposed he'd have to talk to Vinny sometime; it wasn't like he could avoid him for the rest of the tour. But then again, running back out that door and down the hall seemed like a much better idea than facing his demons.

“Matt, is that you?” Vinny poked his head around the half wall between where the bathroom met the sleeping area. Matt had to admit, he did look pretty adorable in a sad puppy kind of way.

Matt stepped towards his friend slowly, his feet not moving as slow as he'd like them to. Guess he can't win everything.

“Vinny, dude, look. Uh,” he scratched the back of his neck, looking down at his feet, “I'm sorry I ran off like that man, you just uh-you caught me off guard.”

He didn't look up yet, but he heard Vinny sigh and then the bed squeak.

“I'm sorry bro, I don't know why I did that. This whole Alex and Zack thing, man. It's just-it's weird. It's got me feelin' a little weird.”

Matt sat down slowly next to Vinny on the hotel bed.

“Vin, are you sure it's not just because you're lonely? I mean, I know this single life might seem like it suits you, but-” Matt winced when he felt skin hitting his face. Looking next to him it was so clear that Vinny was pissed. Shit.
“Are you fucking kidding me dude? You think I fuckin' kissed 'ya because I'm fuckin' lonely?” Vinny was standing now, fists clenched at his sides. He had a clear advantage if he really wanted to hit Matt again, and if Matt was being honest it was pretty likely.

“Vin dude, calm the fuck down. Look, I'm sorry. I'm just tryna' look out for you.”

“Look out for me? Look the fuck out for me then, Matt. Learn to trust your fucking best friend, bro. Fuck I shouldn't have done that. The second I did it I regretted it.” Vinny sighed, turning from Matt and walking toward the window, the blinds open to let the sun in, and the view out their window looking down on the busy city streets.

“You regret kissing me then?” Matt asked, part of him hoping Vinny would say no. Vinny just sighed again. “Look, Vinny. You're my best friend, and shit, I'd never do anything to intentionally hurt you in any way. But like-”

Vinny cut him off again.

“Look Matt, maybe I am just lonely, I don't know. I just- I don't know. I'm going to sound like such a sap...” he trailed off, half expecting Matt to say something, “I get this stupid feelin' in the pit of my stomach when I see you and I feel like throwing up. I haven't had that feeling since middle school, man. I don't even get nervous around pretty chicks anymore and to be honest I kinda fuckin' miss that feeling.”

Matt looked up at his friend who was still staring out the window. He didn't know what to say. Part of him wanted to kiss Vinny again, just to make sure what he felt earlier was a real feeling and not just something he thought he felt.

“Matt? Are you going to say anything?” Matt could hear the annoyed tone in Vinny's voice, even though he knew the merch guy was trying to hide it.

He sighed loudly, standing up from his spot on the bed and walked toward Vinny to join him near the window.

“Vinny look, I just don't want you to do anything you'll regret. And Sarah- fuck, I still have Sarah back home.”

He heard Vinnny curse under his breath. Had he forgotten about his best friends girlfriend of two years?

“I'm not asking you to break up with Sarah, dude. I know how you feel about her. I just-”

“Do you have feelings for me, Vin?”

“I-I think I do, yeah.” Vinny felt a lump climbing in his throat and he was getting nervous excitement again, much like he'd been feeling around Matt for more than half this tour.

“I don't know Vinny, this is really complicated and confusing.”

Vinny sighed again. He figured with all the air he's been letting out of his lungs by sighing all day that he could fly planes with just his mouth.

“I'm sorry, Matt. I shouldn't have done anything in the first place. I should have just kept my mouth shut.” Vinny walked away from the window, pulling the covers of his bed back and climbing under them, hoping Matt would go away. He felt so sick now.

“Vinny look, I can't do this. I mean, how's that fair to Sarah? Fair to me?”

Vinny felt anger bubbling inside him, but he wasn't about to leave the warmth of his shitty hotel bed.

“Fair to you? Fuck you, Matt. You haven't given two shits about my feelings about any of this. Just go away.”

He expected his friend to retaliate, but when he peaked his head over the comforter he was under, Matt was already slamming the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm hoping a majority of you stuck around; if not, I totally understand. I've been gone for 4 years almost, I haven't updated this story in 3. I found a notebook with all my ideas for this story while I was cleaning my room this weekend, along with the flash drive I kept everything on. I re-read this story last night, dissected it, and slapped myself for the way I talked in these author's notes.

I will admit, I missed this story a lot, Zack and Alex were once my favorite pairing. I do not, however, fan girl quite as much over All Time Low anymore, but they're how I met my best friend, so they'll always have a special place in my heart.

I'm in my junior year of college now, studying business management. I was in a bad spot the last few years, but over the past 8 months or so I've gotten a lot better. I'm in a good place and I'm happy, so I'm hoping to finish this story in it's entirety, and maybe post some new things.

If you stuck around and waited for this, wow, I love you. If you're coming back or just coming in, I love you, too.

Feel free to follow me on twitter: @samtwomilton