‹ Prequel: Almost Gone
Status: he he

Halfway There

Chapter Eighteen: Emma’s POV

I eventually calmed down enough to come back. Everyone was talking and having a good time. Maybe this isn’t so bad … I think, smiling to myself. I look around, trying to recognize all of their faces. It’s just been so long!

I finally saw Drew. How old was he now? I think twenty-five. He sure doesn’t look the same!

“Emma!” Leah, my twin sister says happily. “What have you done?

I knew what she meant. My hair. “Nothing,” I grumble, looking away from my twin’s knowing eyes. “I can do what I please with my hair.”

“Yeah, but why would you dye it?”

All my friends looked at me; their expressions varies from shock, confusion, and curiosity. Nobody knew that I dyed my blonde hair. But, that’s merely because I hid it so well. I’ve been dyeing it for years now.

“Because I wanted to, Leah, why else?” I snap grouchily. Leah was a full two-hours older. Oh, and her birthday was yesterday. Yes. Odd. Not to mention lucky. “You dyed your hair red.”

It was true. Instead of Leah having her identical blonde curls — mainly from the humidity on the island — her hair was straightened and bright red. She was one to criticize. Hypocrite.

“I like it like this,” Leah grumbles stubbornly. “Fair enough.”

I always win.

“Hey, little sis,” Drew says, ruffling my hair like the good old days. “How yah been?”

“How do you think?” I snap. Oops. I have to work on that. “Sorry.”

“Nah, I deserved that,” Drew says, hugging me like a good big brother. He whispers in my ear as we hug, though, “If that guy hurts you, I’ll take care of him.”

“Thanks, Drew,” I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes as he lets go, “Always know how to lift the spirits.”

“Aw, aren’t you just adorable!” Some random girl says, pinching my cheeks. I whack at her hands, glaring as I rub my cheeks. That really hurt. “How come you never told me that your little sister was so cute!”

Cute?! Okay, I passed cute when I was four and brutally raped. I felt like yelling at her. She doesn’t know anything about me.

She was blonde — which was obviously dyed, not that I’m judging. She had dark brown eyes, tanned skin, and looked like a supermodel. What was Drew doing with her? No offense to my brother.

“Umm … Emma, meet Dinah. My girlfriend.”

That still didn’t explain why she tried to pull off my face!
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoyable?