Hopeless Hearts

Doctor's Visit

I was sitting in the waiting room of the doctor’s office, waiting for my mom to come out. After the doctor had finished examining me, he had told my mom and I that he wanted to talk to my mom alone. My mom finally came out.

“Come on Claire,” she said, heading for the exit. I got up and followed her.

“Mom!” I called to her. She was walking fast and was a good distance away
from me already. I ran to catch up with her. “What did the doctor say?”

“We’ll talk about it when we get home,” she said. I just sighed and got into my mom’s car, which we had now arrived at.

The ride home was quiet and seemed to take longer than the 5 minutes it usually takes. I didn’t know why I kept getting sick in the morning, but my mom seemed a little angry.

“Go into the living room,” she said when we got home. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

I silently got out of the car. My mom didn’t seem to be in a rush to get out. I headed into the house and into the living room. I sat on the couch and waited for my mom to come in.

After about 5 minutes she finally came in. She came into the living room and stared at me. I was beginning to get annoyed because she was taking so long to tell me whatever it was the doctor had told her.

“Well?” I said.

“Ok,” she said. “I’m just going to tell you.”

“Thank you,” I said.

“Claire,” she started, “You’re pregnant.”

I just stared at her for a moment.

“What?” I said. The information hadn’t sunk in.

“Honey,” my mom said. She came over to the couch and sat next to me. “You’re pregnant Claire.”

I looked at my mom in disbelief.

“No,” I said. “ I can’t be—pregnant.”

“Well,” she said. “Did you have sex?”

I nodded my head, not looking at my mom.

“Then you can be, and are, pregnant,” she said. “But don’t get too worried about
it. I’ll help you with everything. Now, do you know who the father is?”

I nodded my head. “I’ve only had sex with one guy.”

“Who’s the father then?” she asked.

“Frank,” I said. She nodded her head.

“Are you going to tell him?” she asked.

I just nodded my head, still in shock from the news that I was pregnant.

I was pregnant. With Frank’s baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliche..I know.
~Sally