Status: Completed!

The Fallen Cranes

Chapter 1

Kev, 5 years old, stared desperately out the window. He still remembers the time when his father would be home. His father would always be bright and happy, joking around, swinging Kev around in his arms. Still, no matter how many happy memories Kev remembers, the day Kev turned one will always torture him. It was that day that someone had come to take his father away.

“Kev, I promise, I promise that I’ll be back to play with you.” Kev’s dad had said. Not knowing any words at that time, Kev nodded.

“And remember, no matter what, always believe that you can. Don’t let anyone stop you. I’ll believe that too. I’ll believe that someday, I’ll be back, and we can live as a family once again with your mom.” And with those final words, Kev’s father had stepped out the door and followed the stranger away. Kev had at the time wept the whole day and remembering that time now, Kev’s eyes began to fill with tears once again.

Suddenly, Kev’s small little eyes widened as he saw a neatly dressed men walk towards his door. It was an officer from the war- WWIII. Kev ran, tripping over his own toys, but still worked his way through. Short he was, but still his hands were able to grasp that doorknob. Kev’s small little hands turned the knob and there in front was the officer. Kev’s wishful eyes looked desperately at the officer, although young, he knew something important was about to be told to him when he noticed his mom had slipped up behind him.

“Sir, do you need anything?” Kev’s mom asked. Immediately, Kev could tell the news was bad.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Lee. Your husband is back, however, he’s at the hospital. The doctors say he has a small chance of living. He was shot 3 times in his chest during the war.” With that, the officer left, never saying or making another sound. Kev watched his mom fall to her knees with tears slipping down her face. Kev walked over to the kitchen to get a box of tissues; however, he knew that some of the tissues would be used by him as well.