Diva

1/1

I looked at the clipboard my mother had given me and frowned. I couldn't believe I had taken up a summer job helping at the hospital; actually, volunteering would be the right word. You see, my mother is the main nurse on the floor, and she thought it would be good for me to work with her in the hospital. She said, and I quote, "It builds character, Calli." I huffed at her, and cocked an attitude which only meant I was volunteering more hours a week than the original plan was for.

I groaned lightly as I placed my cell phone in the small locker which was given to me. My mother looked over my shoulder as I placed my purse inside as well. I really despised helping at the hospital. It's not like I could do anything to help them. I wasn't a nurse, nor did I have any medical training. All I could do was walk room to room, and ask if they needed anything, and keep them company.

I breathed out softly as I walked over to the nurses station where some of the younger RN's stood gossiping. I rolled my eyes lightly, as I stood near them, eavesdropping on their conversation a bit.

"So, he's famous?"

"Sort of, he's a skateboarder, and has had a television show and been in a couple of movies."

"How old is he?" another asked.

"Twenty or so, I believe."

I rolled my eyes once more as I walked past them. My mother was busy with a patient down the hall, so I started going and visiting random people to see if they needed anything. I learned quickly that standing around and waiting for the seconds to tick by made the day drag by.

I visited with many elderly people on the floor before I walked inside a room I had yet to be in. I walked in, and my eyes widened when I saw what looked like a young man in almost a full body cast. His eyes were closed, and his face was blue from the bruises. I turned around, sensing he needed his rest and headed for the door.

"Hey you," The voice called out.

I spun around slowly and looked over into the most beautiful green eyes I had ever saw in my life. I trailed my tongue across my lips, tasting the strawberry gloss that coated them as I walked over, taking in a better view. He looked like he had been hit by a car; literally. His entire body was black and blue, well, what was viewable, most of it was in a full body cast like I had mentioned earlier.

"Who are you?" He asked, his voice raspy.

"My name is Calli," I shrugged, not knowing what else to say.

"What are you doing in here?" He asked, "You're too young to be a nurse."

"I'm just a volunteer," I sighed, "I'll go and let you get some rest though," I said, and then turned around slowly, ready to make my exit.

"No!" He said rather quickly, "Just. . . stay, okay?"

I looked at him oddly, my eyebrows burrowed together in the middle of my forehead. What the heck did he want me to stay for? I looked towards the door, and then back toward him. Well, I had nothing else on my agenda for the day, and I was stuck here for another four hours, so I might as well waste some time on him.

Wasting four hours on him was easier than I ever thought possible. I discovered a lot about him in the short amount of time I was in his room. His name was Ryan, and he was famous. Though, he didn't act like someone who was famous. He was more down to earth than what I would have thought. He told me about his two best friends Tony and Casey. He told me how his parents divorced, and he also told me how he had got into this body cast. He had wrecked his new white hummer, totaling it and nearly killing himself.

"Calli?" I heard my mother's name call for me.

I looked at Ryan and bit down on my bottom lip. For once, I didn't want to leave the hospital when my time was up. I smiled softly, and told him goodbye, but only after I promised to visit him again. I knew he was going to be in here for awhile, and a friend was always needed, so I figured why not.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned in to over a month of volunteering and visiting with Ryan. I would go and see all the other patients when I first arrived each day, and then the rest of my time would be focused on him. Our friendship had grown, and I had a feeling we would continue it even when he got released from the hospital.

I walked inside his room and smiled when I saw him sitting up in his bed eating dinner, complaining that the food tasted like crap and demanding someone buy him a cheeseburger.

"Well, if someone isn't a diva," I laughed.

"Shut up," He smirked. "This food really does suck," He said, pouting a bit as he looked at me.

I nodded, "I brought some candy." I grinned, "I'll sneak it to you before I leave."

"Did I ever tell you that you're a life saver?"

"Too many times to count," I grinned.

Ryan and I kicked off our day just like we normally did. He would tell me about some of the things he had done in physical therapy, and I would tell him about my time away from the hospital. I knew he was getting better with each day that passed, so I knew he would be leaving the hospital soon. Even though, I had a feeling he would stay in touch when he left, there was still that small bit of me that was scared he wouldn't.

"The doctor told me one more week and I'm gone from this place," He smirked. "Just in time for the X Games too,"

"Oh?" I murmured, "That's great," I said, trying to act happy, though my insecurities were getting to me now. What if Ryan forgot about me? I mean, there was a million girls more interesting than me out there.

"Yeah," He nodded, "I can't skate just yet, but at least I can go," He smirked.

I nodded and stayed a bit quiet as I picked at my nail polish. I was biting down on my bottom lip so hard that I was almost to the point of drawing blood.

"Cal?"

I looked up, "Yeah?"

"Did you just hear anything I said?"

"No, sorry." I mumbled. "I was. . distracted, I guess."

He groaned, "I asked if you would come with me," He shook his head, laughing a bit. "Get your head out of the clouds."

"Where do you want me to go with you?"

"The X Games," He laughed. "Pay attention,"

I laughed it off, and agreed to go with him, trying to keep my cool. The truth was, on the inside I was squealing out like a little fan girl who had just met her favorite celebrity of all time.

XXX

I couldn't believe Ryan wanted me here with him. I never thought I would be going to some event like this, let alone with a celebrity. We stepped out of the vehicle, and I was super surprised when Ryan grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers together as he pulled me through the crowd of fans. His name was being screamed by hundreds of girls as we made our way over to a side view of the ramps.

"It's packed here," He smirked a bit as he looked at me.

"Yeah," I nodded.

I looked around and noticed a lot of jealous eyes were on me, clearly wondering why Ryan had a girl like me here. I tried not to pay attention to the girls giving me the death glares, but I couldn't help it. I knew they were probably thinking Ryan and I were a couple. I moved away from him a bit, not wanting to put a damper on his game, or whatever they called it nowadays.

"What's wrong?" He asked me.

"A lot of girls are staring at us," I said honestly.

"So?" He asked, as he shrugged, "Who cares."

"Ryan," I sighed, "Those girls probably think we're dating or something. You don't want that, I'm sure,"

"I don't?" He asked, tilting his head to the side. "That's exactly what I want, Cal."

I stared into his green eyes with my mouth gaped open. I was speechless, not knowing what to think or say. He laughed a bit as his arm snaked around my waist and pulled me close to him. I was frozen as I leaned into him, breathing in the scent of his signature cologne. I tried to focus on the guys skating, though that was hard, especially when I felt his lips push against my temple.

I turned to look at him, my facial expression slightly confused. I had heard what he had just said, and I knew the meaning behind it. I was just confused as to why he would feel like that towards me.

"So, you like me?" I asked softly.

He laughed, "Way to figure things out, genius."

"Ryan!" I whined, getting ready to protest about how he was beating around the bush, though his lips pushed against mine making me forget what my name was.

When Ryan pulled away from me, I probably looked like a dear caught in headlights. He laughed and shook his head lightly, as he ran his finger over my cheek, probably pointing out how deep a shade of red they were.

"Are you done with your volunteer work at the hospital?" He asked me as the games came near an end.

"Almost," I nodded, "School starts in a couple of weeks."

"You're still going to make time for the boyfriend though, right?" He asked, cocking his head to the side a bit.

I smirked, "I suppose I can pencil you in," I grinned.

"Now look whose being a diva!" He smirked, as he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I loves you, Calli! :)