Status: active :D

Closer To The Truth

fourteen.

I drummed my fingers on my thighs, unsure of exactly how to act. Of course I felt comfortable around Garrett, I mean, he was a sweetheart, but he was a boy, and I was a girl; my nerves were bound to act up.

I hear Garrett clear his throat, which automatically gained my attention.

"So, how do you like living with your sister?" he asked.

"I love having her here. I mean, she's the only family I have here, so it's nice. How do you like living with your best friend?"

He laughed. "Uh, it has it's ups and downs. I mean, John can be a handful sometimes, but then again, I can be a handful myself."

I had to laugh at his answer. "No wonder him and Alaska clash so much."

We continued to make small talk until we reached the theatre. We both took our time getting out of the car. After shutting my door, I inhaled a sharp breath of air before hoisting the strap of my purse higher on my shoulder. I met Garrett on his side of the car and we made our way to the door.

"After you," he smiled.

"Why thank you," I blushed. The first thing that ran through my mind, was that in all the years Craig and I dated, I couldn't ever remember him opening or holding a door for me.

We walked to the ticket desk, and I reached into my purse, grabbing my wallet.

"Can I get two tickets to Love and Other Drugs, please?" Garrett requested.

"Fifteen-fifty," the young girl behind the desk stated.

Before Garrett could say anything, I slapped my half down on the counter. "I know it's unusual for a girl to want to pay on a date, but please, don't give me any grief for it. You won't win."

He laughed and set his half down on the counter. "It seems like you have your mind made up."

I smiled and gave him a wink, surprising myself with how flirtatious I was being. Once we were given our tickets, we walked to the concession stands.

"Popcorn?"

I nodded my head. "That's a must."

He smirked. "Candy?"

"I'll let you pay if you can guess what kind."

He chuckled. "Alright. Give me a second." He walked to the glass and looked over the various boxes of candies. He looked over his shoulder, "Cookie Dough Bites?" I gasped. "What?"

"You're right," I told him, still shocked.

A surprised look came on his face as well, before being replaced with a grin. "I guess I win."

I laughed and listened to him order. Once we had our snacks, we headed down the right hallway and walked into the theater our movie was playing in. We took a seat in the very back, which sent off a cliché alarm in my head, but I shrugged it off.

I took a sip of my Sprite and looked at Garrett. "Thanks, Gare."

"No problem, Rox," he smiled.

I felt butterflies form in my belly as we locked eyes, smiling at each other. It had been so long since I last experienced that feeling.

Throughout the previews, Garrett and I would make comments about upcoming movies, stating our opinions on each one.

"Okay, that movie's going straight to DVD," he stated.

I looked at him with wide eyes. "Why?!"

"Well, first of all, they have that guy playing the lead role."

"His name is James Franco!" I defended.

He laughed. "Excuse me! I meant, James Franco!" I stuck my tongue out at him just as the lights dimmed. "I saw that!" he whispered.

I giggled. "Sure you did."

I took a sip of my drink before reaching my hand into the tub of popcorn. I felt his hand and by reflex, retracted mine.

"Sorry," he apologized, though, he really didn't need to.

"It's fine," I assured before going back in the for the popcorn.

__________________________________________________

Once the movie was over, the lights flickered back on and Garrett and I stood up. After throwing our trash away, we walked to the restrooms.

"Be right back," he laughed.

I nodded my head and laughed. "Same here."

I walked into the women's restroom, and after using it, washed my hands. I tried to fluff my hair, which didn't work out too well; my hair was thin and therefore couldn't hold volume very well on its own. I shrugged my shoulders before walking out.

I spotted Garrett's back and began making my way towards him, when a face entered my vision. I froze and swallowed harshly, panicking.

"What're you doing here?" he asked.

I licked my lips nervously. "I - I'm here with a f - friend."

"Who?" he asked boldly. Before I could answer, Garrett was by my side. I watched as his facial expression changed. "Garrett, long time no see, man. How've you been?"

"Great. Still working on becoming a rock star," he joked.

He laughed. "Sweet. Who're you here with? I know you didn't come empty handed."

Garrett smiled and looked at me. "I came with Roxie, actually."

"Oh," he said, his voice dropping.

"Yeah, but we should get going. Roxie has work in the morning," Garrett told him.

"Alright. I'll see you around then."

"Yeah. Later, Craig."

"Bye," I mumbled, noticing how intense Craig was staring at me.

Garrett and I walked out of the theater, and I finally felt as if I could breathe.

"Well ... That was somewhat awkward," he laughed.

"You have no idea," I said.

"You okay?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, fine."

He gave me a skeptical look but let it go as we neared his car. He opened my door for me and shut it before going around to his own door. Once he started the car, we were on our way back home.

I wondered why Craig seemed to look so touchy when Garrett mentioned that he was there with me. He had no right to be angry that I was trying to get over him. He had broken my heart, after all.

"You sure you're okay, Rox? You seem kind of quiet," Garrett asked, turning the volume of the radio down.

I decided to just come out with it. "Did Craig seem ... Upset to you, when you mentioned that we were there together?"

"He didn't seem too happy about it, but I don't think he was upset, either."

I nodded my head. "Maybe I'm just over-thinking."

He chuckled. "Welcome to the club."

I laughed. "Thanks."

He nodded his head and we turned into our apartment complex. After taking the keys from the ignition, he got out and ran to my side, opening my door once again.

"Thanks, Garrett," I smiled.

"No problem," he grinned.

We walked up the staircase and once we reached the platform, we turned to face each other.

"Well, I had a great time tonight," he stated.

"I did, too. Thanks for everything, Gare."

He smiled. "It was my pleasure. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

I laughed and nodded my head. "That sounds great. You and John should come back over for dinner. It's Alaska's turn tomorrow."

He laughed. "I'll tell John. Good night, Roxie."

"Good night, Gare," I smiled and gave him a quick hug before going to my apartment door.

I quikly opened it and gasped once I looked into my living room. "I don't even want to know. Keep going, children," I said to Alaska and John before going straight to my room.

I could hear them laughing behind me and I smiled. I quickly changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed, a wide grin adorning my face.

There was no doubt about it, I was crushing on Garrett.
♠ ♠ ♠
I suck at updating. I'm sorry. Blame me. Not Alaska. :P
I hope this satisfies you lovely readers for now! (: