Status: active :D

Closer To The Truth

sixteen.

I tapped my pen on the desk, feeling bored. I had been done with my paperwork for at least an hour at work, and I couldn't clock out until another thirty minutes. I yawned and pulled out my phone, figuring texting would be much more fulfilling than sitting here, tapping a pen.

Just as I went to my text my sister, however, my phone began ringing. Seven digits that I hadn't seen in awhile popped up, and my heart began racing. Why was he calling?

"Hello?" I answered nervously.

"Roxie?"

"Y - yeah." I bit down on my lip, ashamed that he still had the power to make me stutter.

"Hey, it's Craig," he said simply.

I know. "Oh, hey, how're you?"

"Great. Just got home from the gym, actually. And you?"

"Fine. Still stuck at work," I told him.

"Oh, bummer."

"Yeah ..." This conversation was turning out to be more awkward than I thought it would be. I slouched in my chair, and stared at the ceiling, waiting for him to speak.

"So ... I was calling for a reason," he started.

"And what would that be?"

"The other night ... when I bumped into you and Garrett ... I mean, are y'all dating or what?" he asked.

I cleared my throat, not really wanting to answer him. "Uh ... Well, no. I mean, we've only gone on one date-"

"Date? So, y'all are dating now?" he questioned, sounding rather irritated.

"I don't know, Craig, but so what if we are? What's it to you? You broke up with me, remember?" I was growing irritated myself.

He laughed dryly. "Yes, I remember. I was only asking so I could warn Garrett of what he's getting himself into if he decides to be in a relationship with you."

I sat up quickly, shocked. "What the hell does that mean?"

"I mean, what guy wants to stay with a girl that won't put out, Roxanne? You're a prude. You have nothing to offer a guy, really, and the one thing that you can, you won't," he stated. I felt tears automatically prick my eyes. My heart fell to the soles of my feet. He laughed again. "It's funny how even though you pretend to act like you're over me, I know you're not. I would bet a million dollars that you're sitting at your desk, with tears falling down your cheeks, because I still have a way of getting to you. You're pathetic," he said right before hanging up.

I dropped my phone into my purse before standing up and walking out of my office. I clocked out on the computer, and as I was heading for the doors, Adie, one of the restaurant's hostess', stopped me.

"You're leaving early?"

I sniffled and tried to subtly wipe my eyes. "I have something going on at home. Jimmy's still here."

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm sorry for whatever it is that's making you cry," she said softly.

I nodded my head and gave her a weak smile. "It's not your fault, but thanks." I quickly walked out of the doors before Jimmy, my co-manager, or anyone else could see me. I jetted to my car, and once I was in, wasted no time in speeding out of the parking lot.

I shut the radio off and tried my best not to let my tears fall, because they would prove Craig right. Not that he wasn't already, because he was; he had a way of getting under my skin like no other. Why that was, I had no clue.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was my first love. I had given everything but sex to him. He was what had completed me for so long, and when he broke up with me, life was just hard to deal with; I felt like I couldn't function properly.

When I pulled into the apartment complex, I took the keys from the ignition and ran to the stairs, eager to get inside of my apartment, where I could have privacy.

But, of course, fate had other plans for me, because as I was reaching the top platform, Garrett came walking out of his apartment.

"We have to stop meeting ... like this," he said, his voice dropping as he noticed my face. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head, trying my best to smile. "Nothing, Gare, I'm fine."

"You can't be fine with tears in your eyes, Rox. Talk to me," he coaxed as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders, gently pushing me into his chest.

I couldn't hold it in. "It's Craig," I sobbed.

He sighed. "What'd he do now?"

I didn't want to tell him the truth. The truth was ugly, and I was afraid that maybe, just maybe, Craig would be right. I pulled away from Garrett and wiped my eyes. "It's nothing. I'm just gonna go inside and take a nap."

He made a face before smiling. "Feel like grabbing some ice cream?"

I glanced down at my watch. "It's three-thirty. Don't you have band practice today?"

"Good point. We can grab some on the way in, if you don't mind watching us?" he questioned, still wearing a smile.

I debated on not going for a minute, but I figured if I went home, I'd only be crying my eyes out and wallowing in my sorrows. Ice cream sounded like it would hit the spot, and getting out of the house might just be a good idea. Plus, I could see just how good this band of Garrett's and John's was. "Sure. I'd love to."

"Great! Come on," he said, grabbing my hand.

I laughed as we raced down the stairs and to his beat up yellow car, that looked as if it didn't have any life left in it. "Should we take my car?"

"What? No. Give Big Yellow a chance before you judge," he chimed.

"You make a good point," I smiled before getting into the passenger seat. Garrett started the ignition and we were off. He turned up the volume, and a song that I recognized by Deftones came on. "I love them."

"You love Deftones?" he asked, seeming shocked.

I nodded my head. "I do."

He grinned. "You're perfect."

I laughed and, although I tried so hard not to, I blushed. He rolled down the windows, and the warm air of Arizona came sweeping into the car, blowing my hair back. It felt amazing, and for a moment, I forgot all about what Craig had said to me, and how he had made me feel.

After ordering our ice creams from the nearest Dairy Queen, we made our way into a rich looking neighborhood. I glanced around, taking in every house and wished that someday, I would be able to afford one of them. We pulled into a driveway of a red brick house, and Garrett looked at me.

"This is Pat's house. We practice in his basement, being that it's soundproof, and no neighbors can call and complain for too much noise," he told me.

I nodded my head. "Seems like a good idea."

He laughed. "Let's keep it moving, then."

We both got out and walked to the front door. Garrett rang the doorbell, and a second later, a muscular boy, with dirty blond hair answered the door.

"Hey, Tim," Garrett said.

"What's up, Gare?" 'Tim' replied before giving Garrett a 'man-hug'. He then looked at me. "I take it your Roxie?"

I nodded my head, giving a smile. "That'd be me."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Tim, Garrett's manager," he stated before reaching his hand out.

I shook it. "Nice to meet you, too."

"Y'all should get downstairs, the guys are waiting," Tim said.

"Follow me, Rox," Garrett told me before heading down a long case of stairs. I trailed behind him, trying my best not to fall; I had never been a graceful one.

"It's about time you showed up, Gare," a boy I remembered as Jared said.

Garrett laughed. "I had to stop for some ice cream."

"And, you brought Roxie with you," John smiled before surprising me with a hug.

I laughed. "Sorry if I made him late."

"No worries. Practice doesn't start until four-thirty, technically," Kennedy smiled.

"You can have a seat on the couch, and enjoy the show," Garrett winked at me.

I smiled. "And enjoy my ice cream."

He laughed. "That, too. I guess I'll have to enjoy my melted ice cream later." He walked over to a guitar case and pulled out his bass, before taking his stance to the left of John. I watched as the others talked and as Garrett tuned his bass.

I had to admit, although I dreamed about being a part of the music business one day, I'd never known anyone in an actual band. I felt excited to be seeing them perform in the raw.

"So, Roxie, maybe after this performance you can talk your lovely sister into watching us, too, next time?" John winked.

I laughed. "I can try."

"Great! This first one's called Count 'Em, One, Two, Three ..."

As they began playing and singing, I watched in amazement. They were good. Really good. And, more than that, they had potential. You could see it in the way they played, in the way John sang, and in their faces. They wanted to make it, and as they played song after song, nothing was more clear to me than that.

I caught eyes with Garrett in the middle of a song they called, I Must Be Dreaming, and I could feel the butterflies swarming in my belly. He was just so adorable. I only hoped that Craig was wrong, and that given time, Garrett could prove to me that my relationship with Craig was just a mistake; something that never had to be repeated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lava you guys! (: <3