Status: active :D

Closer To The Truth

eight.

"Okay, Gare, you gotta do this," I heard someone mumble softly.

I suddenly stiffened. I didn't know who the voice belonged to, and I was afraid of just what he 'had' to do. Suddenly, I felt two hands grip my shoulders and before the guy could do anything else, I took the palm of my right hand and pushed it against his nose in an upward motion.

"What the fuck!?" he yelled, jumping back.

I sat up quickly and gasped, placing my hand over my mouth. I recognized the boy from the party, and I remembered falling asleep on a stranger's bed.

"Why would you do that!?" he cried, holding his nose, which was now bleeding profusely.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry! I thought you were trying to rape me!" I explained before looking around. "Do you have any tissues or something around here?"

"They're in the kitchen," he said, his voice already sounding like he had a nasal problem.

"I'll be right back! Just, uh, sit down and hold the bridge of your nose to try and stop the bleeding!" I rushed before running out of the room and into the still on-going party.

I made my way into the kitchen and grabbed the first rag I saw on the counter. As I turned around, I ran into my sister.

"Dude! Where have you been? And why are you getting a rag?" she asked, arching her brows.

"Uh, it's a long story! Just come with me!" I told her, grabbing her hand and running back to the room I had fallen asleep in.

I turned on the light and was able to see the boy whose nose I had most likely broken. I kneeled in front of him and peeled his hand away from nose, replacing it with the olive green rag I had gotten.

"Garrett! What happened?!" Alaska gasped, standing behind me.

I turned my head over my shoulder. "You know him?"

"Well, not exactly. He came into the kitchen when John and I were talking and introduced himself. Some girl fell asleep in his bed, and - wait! Was that you?" she questioned.

I nodded my head shyly. "I was just drained from the crying and drinking made me sleepy."

She glanced between Garrett and I a few times. "What happened to his nose?"

I looked at the boy in question and his sea blue eyes stared back at me through his black rimmed glasses. "I felt his hands on my shoulders and I thought he was trying to rape me, and I hit his nose."

Hey eyes widened. "Oh, damn ..."

I continued holding the rag over Garrett's nose for a few minutes as silence overtook the room. "How are you feeling?"

He gave a short chuckle. "My nose is hurting like fuck. But other than that, I'm great."

Alaska laughed and I gave her a disapproving look. "What? He made a joke, Roxie!" she defended.

I rolled my eyes. "His nose is still bleeding, and I think I might've broke it. We should take him to the hospital."

She nodded her head. "I'll drive."

Garrett and I stood up, and I noticed my hand was still awkwardly holding the rag for him. He laughed. "I think I can hold it now."

I smiled timidly. "Oh, sorry."

We followed Alaska out of the room and through the apartment. Before we could make it to the door, John and a few of his friends stopped us.

"Dude, what the fuck happened!?" John asked shocked.

"Your nose is bleeding, Gare!" a boy with long, tangled brown hair said.

Garrett rolled his eyes. "No shit, Pat! It's a long story that I'll explain later."

"We're taking him to the emergency room," Alaska stated.

"Mind if I come along? I mean, that is my best friend," John said.

Before my sister could reply with a witty remark, I opened the door. "John, you can come. We need to hurry up and get Garrett seen."

"Call us and let us know what's going on later, JohnO," a boy with strawberry blond hair called behind us.

We all quickly trampled down the stairs and made our way to Alaska's car. She got in on the driver's side, and John looked at me.

"You can sit in the front with her," I told him.

He nodded his head and I got in the backseat with Garrett. Once all doors were shut, Alaska revved out of the parking lot. She reached for her GPS and began clicking a few icons.

"What're you doing?" John asked.

"Finding a hospital," she told him.

He laughed. "You don't need that thing. You have a Tempe born and raised boy right here. I can tell you how to get to St. Luke's."

I could see Alaska roll her eyes through the rear-view mirror. "The GPS will work much better, I'm sure," she insisted.

"Alaska, will you just listen? Take a right here and-"

"The GPS says to keep going straight!"

"I don't give a shit what it says! I'm telling you to take a right!"

I glanced at Garrett, who was leaning his head against the window, and looking as if he were in a lot of pain. Alaska and John were continuing with their petty argument and I let out an aggravated sigh.

"Both of you shut the hell up!" I yelled, gaining their attention. "Alaska, just listen to John. I'm sure he knows a quicker way to get to the hospital, having lived here longer than the both of us."

At that, Alaska shut the GPS off and listened as John gave her directions. Within five minutes, we arrived at the hospital. We quickly got out and went straight to the reception's desk at the emergency entrance.

"We think his nose is broken," I told the woman behind the desk.

She nodded her head. "Has he been seen here before?"

I looked at him and he nodded his head. "Yeah, he has."

She set her hands on her keyboard. "Last name?"

"Nickelsen," Garrett told her, sounding even worse than before.

"Garrett?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Alright, take a seat in the waiting room and I'll see if we can get you to a doctor."

"Thank you," we all said as she walked off.

We took a seat on a long couch, and I looked at Garrett. The rag was almost completely red, and I found my stomach turning.

"I'm so sorry, Garrett," I apologized.

"Don't worry about it," he said.

Alaska laughed. "You look like you're gonna pass out, John."

I glanced at him and saw how pale his face was. "I can't handle seeing blood very well," he told us.

"Awe. That's so cute," my sister teased.

"Nickelsen?" a deep voice called, making all four of our heads snap up.

Garrett rose to his feet and looked at us. "Will one of you come with me?"

"Dude, I so would, but I think I'm gonna throw up," John said, looking sicker and sicker with each word.

Alaska stood up. "Roxie can go with you. I'll take John outside for some fresh air."

I wanted to object, but her and John were already making their way toward the doors. I followed Garrett as we walked to the doctor.

"Oh, wow. I'm guessing we have a broken nose?" the doctor asked, leading us towards his office.

"I think so," Garrett sighed.

"Right in here, Mr. Nickelsen." He stepped aside and allowed Garrett and I to walk into the room. Garrett took a seat in the examination chair, while I stood against the wall. The doctor sat on his rolling chair. "I'm Dr. Thompson, and I'll hopefully be fixing your nose," he chuckled. He wheeled himself to Garrett as he put on white gloves. "Can you tilt your head back for me, son?"

Garrett tilted his head back and removed the rag from his nose, revealing dried blood. I almost let out an audible gasp as I saw the full extent of his injury. "Is it broken?" he asked.

"It's definitely a possibility. You're already starting to get some bruising around your nose and eyes. I'm going to touch your nose, and tell me on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, how much it hurts, okay?" Garrett nodded his head and Dr. Thompson touched the bridge of his nose, causing Garrett to curse and squirm. "Oh, you definitely broke it. I can feel the grating of cartilage. I'm going to have to straighten it, which, I won't lie, will be painful, but it has to be done. Maybe you can hold a friend's hand?" he suggested, looking at me.

"Sure," Garrett said. I gave a faint smile and walked to him, holding his left hand.

"Alright. I need you to take a deep breath, and when I count to three, relax and exhale," he instructed. "One, two, three!" Garrett squeezed my hand on the third count and I could hear the cracking sound of cartilage, making me cringe.

"Oh, God," Garrett groaned in pain.

Dr. Thompson stood up and looked over Garrett's face. "I'll bandage it up and give you an ice pack. As for the pain, I'll prescribe you some Tylenol. How're you feeling, son?"

"I'm in more pain than before," Garrett told him, making my heart fall to my feet.

Dr. Thompson chuckled and took out his RX pad. "Once you get home and take your medication, you'll be fine." He quickly scribbled down the medication and handed the paper to me. "Make sure he only takes one or two tablets as needed, as this has codeine in it. Albeit, it's a low dosage, but he shouldn't need more than that. The medication will most likely make him drowsy, so make sure he doesn't decide to go for a road trip or drive a tractor, okay?" he laughed.

I smiled and nodded my head. "I'll make sure he stays home."

He quickly bandaged Garrett's nose before throwing his gloves in the trash. "Alrighty then, folks. I'll show you out." Garrett and I followed him out of the office and down the hallway, where he grabbed a small pack of ice and handed it to Garrett. "Make sure the receptionist schedules you for a check up in two weeks," he stated.

"We will. Thank you, Dr. Thompson," I said for Garrett.

He smiled and nodded his head. "You're welcome."

After quickly scheduling a check up visit for Garrett, we walked into the waiting room. I glanced around, but didn't see any signs of my sister or John.

"Where are they?" I muttered to myself.

"Fuck, this shit hurts so bad," Garrett moaned, holding the ice pack against his nose.

I stared at him and felt tears prick my eyes. It was my fault he was in so much pain. "I'm so, so sorry, Garrett. I don't know what I was thinking doing that," I whispered.

His facial expression softened. "Hey, it's not your fault. I shouldn't have just touched you like that. You fell asleep at a party with guys you don't know. I was kind of asking for it," he said, smiling kindly.

I returned a small smile and wiped my eyes. "Maybe they're outside." We walked out the doors and right away I saw Alaska and John sitting on the curb. She was rubbing circles on his back, and it wasn't until we got closer to them, that I saw the vomit next to John.

"We have to make a stop at Walgreens for Garrett's medication," I said.

Alaska looked up at me, and then at Garrett. "Oh, wow. Your face is so bruised."

"Gee, thanks," Garrett said sarcastically.

She laughed and stood up. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"It's fine. You okay, John?" he asked.

He stood up and nodded his head, blowing out a breath of air. "I can't wait to get home."

"Who are you telling?" Garrett laughed.

"Let's get going then," Alaska suggested.

I nodded my head and we all walked back to her car. With John's help once more, we found a nearby Walgreens, where Garrett's prescription was filled quickly. We headed back to the apartments, and John had to help Garrett up the stairs, as his medication was already kicking in.

"I feel fine, guys," he slurred.

John laughed. "I bet you do, buddy."

"I can't even feel my nose!" Garrett laughed.

Alaska and John joined him in laughter, but I couldn't. I felt utterly bad about being the cause of his condition. Once we were up the stairs, John stopped and looked at us.

"I'll guess we'll see you later?" he questioned more than stated.

Alaska shrugged. "Eh, it could happen."

He smirked and nodded his head at me. "Good enough. Later, Roxie," he said.

I gave a wave. "Later, John."

"Bye, guys," Garrett called.

"Bye, Garrett," Alaska and I said before going into our own apartment.

"Oh my God. I'm exhausted," she sang, plopping down on the couch. "Watching John throw up was the cherry on top of a perfect night." I didn't say anything and she looked back up at me. "Hey, are you okay, Rocco?"

I nodded my head quickly and let out a fake yawn. "I'm fine. I'm gonna head to bed. Good night," I said, going straight to my room before she had the chance to protest.

I kicked off my sandals and threw myself onto my bed, hugging my pillow. This has just not been my week.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I've never broken my nose, so I'm probably way off on what happens in the doctor's office. I tried to Google it, so I could sound "professional", but it probably still sounds shitty. I'm sorry! Hahaa. Me and Alaska love writing this story, and we appreciate and love all the comments and subscribers we get! But, we've only gotten, like, two comments within the past two chapters. We won't stop updating or anything, but if at least 3 of you 40 people could drop even just a single line, it'd be much, much appreciated and may spark inspiration!

I'll even make it easy so you don't have to scroll back to the top! :D
Comment

I'm done ranting! WE LOVE AND THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING, COMMENTING, AND SUBSCRIBING! Or, even if you don't comment, we thank you for taking the time to read our story! (: <3