Dreaming Is Free

One hell of a day.

Another scrunched up piece of paper hit the back of my head.
I quickly pulled my IPod out of my pocket and turned the volume up as loud as it would allow. Surely that can't be good for my ears, but so far it has proven to be the only effective method of blocking out a bogus little thing called reality.

“Panama, panama, panama, panama. Aint nothin like it, her shiny machine. Got the feel for the wheel, keep the moving parts clean.”
Not even an Eddie Van Halen guitar solo could brighten this bus ride.

I was finally bothered to turn around and stare the dweebs that insisted on driving me insane right in their dull, unoriginal, little eyes.
It was the usual bunch. Becky, the pretty, but plastic blonde with that stupid hairstyle that everyone has, and what my best friend likes to call the “man Barbies.” They're pretty much all the guys that follow her around.
I'm pretty sure that they didn't mean to hit me with what was probably their homework (“Cause like, what kind of freak wants to be good at like, maths and shit anyway.” Becky says). People like that don't notice awesome people like myself. I'm sure they didn't even see me sitting there.

Again, another ball of paper bounced off my head.

“Enough with the paper already!” I finally snapped.

“Sorry,” one of the “man Barbies” (let's call him Ken) said sarcastically.

I went back to daydreaming as I watched cars that the bus was overtaking on the highway. One more stop until I was home. Home Sweet Home, I thought, then felt the need to listen to Motley Crue.

“Hello?” somebody yelled. I jumped in fright when I glanced up to see the new boy, staring me in the face.

“Man, what are you doin’ talking to that Bitch?” ken asked. The newbie ignored that surprisingly.

“Um, Hi,” I said confused.

“Got it loud enough?” he asked smiling.

“Yes. I love it loud,” I said coldly.

“What are you listening to anyway?” he asked. I switched off my IPod as the bus came to a glorious, but shaky stop. It must not require much skill to get a job as a bus driver in this town.

“Motley Crue,” I said as I tossed my backpack over my shoulders, and pushed past him to escape what I like to call “hell on wheels.”

I collapsed on my bed, after hitting the play button on my stereo, thankful that another school day had finished.

“Oh, you're home,” my mother said. “The new neighbors invited us to dinner tonight. Promise me that you won't wear that filthy KISS t-shirt you've been wearing all week.” And with that, she resumed her house cleaning.

To be a smart arse, I wore a different KISS t-shirt. Technically, I was obeying instructions. Still, she seemed unimpressed.

I carefully slipped off my shoes as my parents walked off with Carrie and Bob, our neighbors, leaving me standing by their front door alone.

“What are you doing here?” a familiar voice asked. I turned to see the boy on the bus. “Great” I thought.

“Looks like we're neighbors,” he laughed.

“Isn't the world filled with lovely surprises?” I asked sarcastically.

“Oh, you're really sweet,” he joked. “Can't wait to be friends with you.”

“Nobody can,” I replied as he led me to his dining room where our parents were.

“I never caught your name?”

“Julie,” I replied.

“Well, I'm Bret.”

He sat very close next to me at the table and kept staring at me while I ate. It drove me mad! I wanted to yell at him so badly, but our parents were right there.

“So, it seems Julie and Bret will be completing their final year of high school together,” his mother said, trying desperately to make conversation.

“Study Buddies,” my Dad smiled at me as I poked my tongue out at him. He's always at me to study more.

After a painfully awkward meal, Bret and I sat alone, as our parents were off most likely talking about gardening or something.

“Wanna see something really cool?” Bret asked me , breaking the silence.

“Always,” I replied, glad someone finally spoke.

“Follow me then,” he said as he led me to his bedroom.

“Holy crap!” I squealed with excitement as I entered a room filled with records, guitars and posters of bands that I actually liked.

“Thought you might like it,” he laughed.

It was that moment that I realized just how attractive he was. Before he was just a guy with long blonde hair and stunning blue eyes. But now he was like Bret: the 80's metal god who lives next door to me.

“You like RATT?” I asked, amazed, observing a poster of his.

“Who the hell doesn't?” he asked.

“Everyone. Nobody knows RATT,” I laughed.

“Yeah, we're like the only awesome people in this town I think. But I've only been here a week, so...”

“No. Sadly you're very much correct,” I said.

“You know Julie, if you just smiled a little more, not only would you be totally gorgeous, people wouldn't give you such a hard time.”

“If you let me borrow that Black Sabbath cd, I'll be smiling forever.”

“Well. In that case, It's all yours,” he smiled as he handed me the cd.

Interesting, I thought to myself as I imagined all the great music I could get my hands on....

THEN I WOKE UP
♠ ♠ ♠
A one shot I wrote on Quizilla ages ago, based on a dream. Gotta love dreams.
Should I make it into a story?
The people shall decide ;)