Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

sixteen

"Bethany?" Jonathan answered the phone.

"Jonathan... hi."

"Bethany, hi, I'm so relieved that you called me back."

I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything.

"H-How are you," he asked.

"I'm okay."

"Just okay?"

"I don't now how I feel."

"Yeah... that's understandable.... Bethany, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay."

"No, it's not. I should have told you sooner.... I just didn't want to loose you."

"I don't know... if you have just yet Jonathan."

He was silent on the other side for a moment, "Bethany, I love you."

"I know."

"Can... can I see you?"

Tears pricked the back of my eyes, "Um... I think that's okay."

"Should I come there?"

"Yes."

"What time?"

Looking at Bruce, I made sure he heard me when I said, "You can come at six, stay for dinner," Bruce mouthed 'And you can stay the night', "And you can stay the night. But only if you really want to."

"Um... sure, I would... love to come."

I gave a small smile, "Cool."

"I'll see you at six."

"Yeah."

"Where will I be sleeping?"

"I have no idea."

Jonathan gave a small chuckle, "Okay."

"Good bye."

"Wait!"

"What?"

"Did I tell you that I love you?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

"Good bye, Jonathan."

"Good bye, Bethany."

Hanging up, I set the phone on the table and panicked a little. Bruce placed his hand on mine and said, "He won't hurt you in this house, Bethany."

I nodded, "I'm not afraid of him here."

"Then what's wrong?"

"I don't know."

Lucius said, "It really is a good thing that you're doing this Bethany, your emotions need someone to suffer through this with you, and since Crane was on that bridge with you... you two can cope together."

I nodded, "Okay."

~

Six came around and I panicked as I looked at myself in the mirror to make sure that I looked okay. My mother waited in the parlor with Bruce and Alfred was "dusting" around the front door. I could hear the car come to a stop in front of the house, and the sound of Jonathan coming up the stairs. When the doorbell rang, Alfred stopped what he was doing and answered it, "Good evening, Dr. Crane."

"Good evening," he said as he stepped inside. He saw me and he smiled, "Bethany."

"Jonathan," I smiled and allowed him to hug me. The moment his arms tightened around me, I melted into him, happy to be in his arms, "Damn Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs."

"Why?" Jonathan smiled.

"I need to be with someone...."

"Do you feel like you need to be with me?"

"No... I want this."

"Look who did their homework."

I smiled, "I paid attention in high school psychology."

He laughed, "It's good to see you."

"It really is."

He frowned, "Were you dreading this?"

"I was a little."

"Thank you for inviting me over."

I smiled, "No problem. Come on, everyone is in here."

"Everyone?"

Opening the doors to the parlor, I said, "Jonathan, you know Bruce, and you remember my mother."

"Ms. Elwood," said Jonathan, "It's nice to see you again."

"Yes." My mother pursed her lips and I rolled my eyes, of course.

"Dr. Crane," said Bruce, "Have a seat, please."

I took a seat on the love seat, and Jonathan took the seat next to me. He crossed his legs and placed his arm around my shoulder, and I settled against him, smiling at the contact. I missed his touch. Bruce came over and handed him a drink, "Do you drink scotch?"

"Yes."

"Here."

"Thank you."

"Bethy?"

"Gin and Tonic, is fine."

Bruce and Jonathan looked surprised, "Really?"

"Yeah."

"I don't think I've ever seen you drink," said Jonathan.

"Because I don't... often."

"Oh."

Bruce went to make my drink and my mother cleared her throat, "What exactly do you do, Dr. Crane?"

"I'm a psychopharmacologist. I make drugs that help people with mental disorders, like bipolarity or depression. I'm also head psychologist at Arkham."

My mother looked like she was going to faint, "Oh?"

"Yes."

Turning to me she said, "Did you know this, Bethany?"

"Yes."

She looked like she was going to have a heart attack now, "Well... as long as you know."

"Most people don't approve of my profession," Jonathan smiled, "But it's not all as bad as it seems."

"I'm sure." My mother pursed her lips.

Jonathan gave her a true smile, then Bruce handed me my drink. I took a deep sip, then set the drink on my lap. Jonathan watched me as I sat there, analyzing the situation. The four of us all sat awkwardly as we waited for Alfred to come in with the dinner. Bruce paced back and forth, then said, "Bethy, do you want to play the piano?"

"Are you asking me genuinely or do you want me to play the piano?"

"I would like to hear you play," said Jonathan, "You never said you could play the piano."

In my mind I thought, You never told me you were a killer, but I smiled and said, "You bet."

Getting up, I lead the way to the library, my mother frowning behind us. She never approved of my playing the piano. Music is too passionate for young ladies she says. I set my drink down on a coaster and sat at the piano, picking out notes, playing a C here or a D there, trying to figure out what I wanted to play. Then I decided on Beethoven's 9th Symphony and went from there. Jonathan stood by the piano, watching my fingers move along the keys. When I finished the song I went for something more sinister and played Toccata and Fugue In D Minor by Bach. Bruce shook his head with a mocking smile on his face as Jonathan chuckled. My mother looked like she had just stepped into her worst nightmare. During the middle of the song, which is roughly nine minutes long, Alfred came in and announced that dinner was ready. I made up an ending and followed everyone into the dinning room, Jonathan walking with me, holding my hand.

Dinner was terrible. My mother grilled Jonathan, while he just smiled and took everything in stride. I was proud of him, going with whatever ridiculous question she asked. When dessert was over, I took Jonathan outside in the gardens, and we walked in the green house. Holding my hand he gave it a light squeeze, "Thank you for inviting me over."

Turning to him I smiled, "No problem. You've invited me over to your house, it's about time Bruce did the same."

He smiled, "Bethany-"

"Jonathan, listen... I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about... what you told me. But I want to let you know that I won't forget it... that it will forever be in the back of my mind... but that I want to be with you, no matter what."

Jonathan looked like he was going to cry, "No matter what?"

"Well... if you fucking hit me, it's over." I smiled to show that I was making a joke and he gave a small laugh.

"Trust me, that's not about to happen."

I smiled and he moved me against one of the plant holders and kissed me. The movement was so fast that I was caught off guard, but recovered enough to wrap my hands around the back of his neck and hold him to me. He held my face while he kissed me, our bodies pressed next to each other, his slightly stooped as he bent to kiss me. I missed kissing him, he had a way of making the kiss so amazing all on it's own. His tongue licked it's way across my lips and I opened my mouth to let it enter, and I was glad I did. Letting a small moan escape my lips, it vibrated my lips against his, causing him to moan as well.

We heard the door to the green house open, and we jumped apart quickly, only to find Bruce walking in, "Oh... um... sorry." he turned and left.

I giggled as I watched him walk back up to the house, his head hung with embarrassment, "Poor Bruce."

"Why?"

"He's all embarrassed now."

Jonathan smiled, "Good."

"Hey, it's not nice to tease the host."

"Oh, I'm very sorry."

Smiling I said, "Well, good." I pulled him back in for a kiss, and he hoisted me onto the plant holder, allowing me to wrap my legs around him, and for him to not bend as much. Pulling away I said, "Wouldn't this be a kinky spot to do it?"

Jonathan smiled, "You know... for someone like you, your mind works in all the wrong ways."

Smiling I said, "Mm, but that's the best part about me."

"It is indeed."

"Besides, I like having fun in bed."

"But we're not in bed."

"All the more fun."

Jonathan smiled and brought his hips into mine, and I gasped, "I like the way you sound when I touch you."

"Mm, I like the way you touch me."

Jonathan bent down and kissed me, his hands running up my shirt in the proses.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh yeah... sex in the Green House. ha.
This is going to start going places, I promise.

Comment please and thank you!