Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

twenty-two

I woke up with a terrible head ache. Sitting up, I held my hand to my head and looked around. Jonathan was sitting at the counter, sipping a cup of coffee and reading something. At the sound of my movement, he turned and looked at me, "How are you feeling?"

"Terrible."

"You had a rough night."

"Did I?"

"You were tossing and turning," he went to the kitchen to get a glass of milk and to get a plate with food, "Plus you're drenched with sweat."

Looking down, I saw the sweat stains on my clothing, "What happened?"

"Don't you remember, you were sick." Jonathan handed me the plate of food, "Eat, it'll make you feel better."

"I had... the worst dream."

Jonathan sat down, "What happened?"

"I woke up and I was... tied to the bed. You were in the kitchen doing something, and then... you injected me with something.... It made me terrified of you. You had on a mask... and kept insisting on me calling you Scarecrow."

"You had a dream I had relapsed?"

"Yes."

Jonathan frowned, "Is that what you're afraid of? That I will become the monster I've tried so hard to over come?"

"It crosses my mind sometimes." I looked down at the plate of eggs and toast, feeling ashamed.

"Bethany," Jonathan held my face in his hands, "You have nothing to worry about.... I love you too much to let that happen to you."

Tears swelled in my eyes and I nodded, "I love you, Jonathan."

He smiled, "I think that's the first time you've said that."

I smiled back, "It feels good to say it."

He placed a kiss on my lips, "Say it again?"

"I love you Jonathan."

"I love you too, Bethany."

I frowned, "Something else happened in my dream."

"What?"

"You gave me... an outfit to wear."

"What kind of outfit? Was it hot?"

I frowned harder, "No. It was a plain brown dress that cut off diagonally down to my knee. And it had black and white stripped stockings... and a mask."

Jonathan frowned, "A mask?"

"Yes... it was like the one you wore. You called me Raven."

"Bethany, you have nothing to worry about."

"I know."

Kissing my forehead he said, "Eat. I'm going to Arkham for my session, but I'm coming back to stay here with you."

"Why?"

"I don't want you getting sick again without me here."

I nodded, "Okay."

Kissing my forehead again I let him walk away while I ate my breakfast. It was delicious. I must have been hungry for I ate the entire thing quickly. I drank my glass of milk, and found that Jonathan was right... my headache was going away. I got up and put my dishes in the sink, and caught sight of my elbow. Looking at it, I examined it for any sign of a syringe needle, and found that there was nothing.

It was just a dream.

A huge wave of relief washed over me as I moved to go take a shower. As I started the water, I felt a little dizzy, and decided that in my current condition, I should probably wait until Jonathan came back, in case I fall and hurt myself. Sitting on the bed, I pulled the covers over myself, and went to fall back asleep, which I did successfully.

~

Jonathan woke me up a while later, I smiled up at him as he leaned down to kiss me. "I need to shower," I said.

"Shall I join you?"

I smiled, "Only if you want to."

Jonathan smiled and helped me out of bed. He lead me into the bathroom and helped me undress and wash myself. When we got out, he pinned me to the wall where I wrapped my legs around his waist. He manage to lift me, with help of me holding onto the door way, when the front door opened. We didn't hear it of course, not with the giggling and the moaning. We only knew someone was in the house when we heard, "Oh Jesus." Turning we saw my father and Melody.

"What the fuck, you guys," I found my feet firmly on the floor, but had to use Jonathan for support, "How the hell did you get in?"

"I um... picked the lock."

"What," I looked at my father who smiled smugly, "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call the cops?"

"I'm your father?"

"I said a good reason. Not a bull shit reason."

"Hey, I just wanted to come and see what your place looked like."

"Well, I don't want you in here right now."

"Right, we'll come back a different day."

"Or just not at all."

My father frowned, but Melody pushed him out of the room. With my father interrupting us, I was no longer in the mood. I walked away from Jonathan to sit down on the bed. He crawled up beside me, and proceeded to massage my shoulders, which was nice. I leaned back into him and he bent down to place kisses on my neck. I turned to him and took his mouth with mine and let him slide his hands down my towel and between my thighs. I rested my head against his shoulder and sighed as he kissed the crook of my neck. I loved it when Jonathan touched me. I loved it when Jonathan kissed me. What he can do makes my body yearn for it even with him doing it.

He was intoxicating.

He moved to kiss me again but I had to stop him, "Um... hold on."

"What is it?"

"I don't know yet."

Jonathan moved me so he could look at me, "You're really pale."

"And I?"

"Are you going to be sick?"

I thought about it, "Um... I think there's the really real possibility."

Jonathan helped me out of bed, covering me with my towel and lead me to the bathroom. I took one look at the basin and I bent over it, puking my guts out. Tears formed in my eyes and the bile rushed up so powerfully that it entered my nasal cavity. When I was finished, I closed my eyes and leaned against Jonathan. He had gotten me a robe to put on while I recovered. I allowed him to lift me and set me in bed, and sighed.

"I don't know what's wrong with me."

Jonathan moved the hair that covered my face, "I don't know either... maybe you just have the flu."

I nodded, "Maybe."

"Do you want something to eat?"

"Do we have saltine crackers?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

Jonathan placed a kiss on my forehead and went to get the crackers. I managed to eat a few and then I had to stop.

"Should I call a doctor," asked Jonathan.

"I don't know anyone in town."

"Should I call Bruce?"

"And tell him what? That his beloved Bethy is ill?"

"Yes."

I smiled, "You can."

Jonathan picked up his phone and dialed Bruce's number, "Bruce? This is Jonathan. Yeah, um... Bethany is sick. Right, right, but she doesn't have a doctor in town yet. The flu, I imagine. Fox? Yeah. Okay. Thanks."

"Fox? I didn't think he was a doctor."

"He's smart."

"I guess it cuts down on the health insurance."

Jonathan laughed, "He and Bruce are on their way over."

I nodded, "I'm just going to sleep."

"Okay."

I closed my eyes and felt Jonathan place a kiss on my forehead before leaving to do God knows what.
♠ ♠ ♠
hahahahaha!

comment!