Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

thirty-one

I followed Scarecrow down to his car. We drove to the middle of Gotham and entered a building. The Joker and his friends had already infiltrated the building, binding and gagging all of the employees and visitors. It was dark inside, all of the lights were off. Scarecrow and I made our way to the top of the building, where we found the Joker and Harley-Quinn standing with the owner of the building, and Commissioner Gordon. The two of them were standing helpless, Gordon's gun was in Harley's hands. Scarecrow took one look at Gordon and started to laugh, "Hello, Gordon... long time no see?"

"Crane?"

"Crane isn't here at the moment. But if you would like to make an appointment-"

"I thought the sessions were working!"

"You can't use psychological tricks on a psychologist, dumb-ass."

Gordon sighed then turned to me, "Who's this?"

Holding me close Scarecrow whispered in my hear, "Introduce yourself, babe."

I curtsied and said, "My name is Raven."

Gordon gasped as my voice rang out from behind the mask, "Bethany?"

I cocked my head to the side and said, "Bethany isn't here.... But I'll be happy to take a message."

Turning to Scarecrow, Gordon growled, "What did you do to her?"

Scarecrow laughed, "You here that babe... he thinks I did something to you."

Turning to look at him I asked, "What did you do to me?"

Looking at me he said, "Nothing."

"Okay."

Gordon watched us with a look of horror on his face. He turned to me and said, "Bethany... please... you have to snap out of it! Bethany... it's me, Gordon!"

I walked up to him, looking him in the eye, then I slapped him, "Shut up."

I skipped back to Scarecrow's side as the Joker laughed, "She's better than Harley!"

Harley looked at the Joker and frowned, "Do you really mean that, Mista' T?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

Wrapping his arm around her he said, "But you know there will only be one woman in my life."

She smiled, "Really?"

"Yeah."

Harley gave a squeal and said, "You're the greatest, Mista' T."

Scarecrow looked at the Joker and said, "When would you like to start?"

"You two can go ahead."

Scarecrow turned to me and handed me a spray, "You know what to do, babe.... You take Gordon and I'll take the other."

I looked up at him and smiled, "I love you Scarecrow."

"I love you too."

Turning away from him, I started for Gordon who backed away slowly, "Now... Bethany... please, I don't want to hurt you."

I giggled, "You won't be able to hurt me. Not after I use this."

Gordon saw what was in my hand and said, "I'm immune to that, you know."

I giggled again, "Not to this one."

Gordon went three shades whiter and said, "Bethany... please don't do this."

"But why not? It'll be fun!"

I backed Gordon into the side of the building and he looked over the edge with fear. Walking up to him I said, "Don't be afraid...." spraying him with the chemical that Scarecrow made me I added, "Be terrified."

Gordon screamed as he looked up at me, his eyes huge. He sank to the ground, cowering in fear, "Please... please don't come any closer." Bending down I smiled as I watched him grow even more terrified, "Please! Please stay back!"

A hand wrapped around my arm and I was thrown back, landing on the ground, my head smashing into the gravel that covered the building. From off to the side, I could hear Scarecrow call my name, but I couldn't move. My body was in shock from the pain. Then I saw the face of Batman hovering above me. I giggled and tried to spray him too, but he stopped me. Pulling me up, he held me close to him as he turned to look at Scarecrow, Joker, and Harley.

"Don't move of I'll hurt her."

Joker shrugged, "So?"

Scarecrow held out his hand, "Don't hurt her, Batman.... Please."

"Crane... you're only using her."

"No."

I turned to look at him and said, "His name is Scarecrow."

Batman looked down at me and let go, his eyes wide behind his mask, "What did you say?"

Turning to him I answered, "I said, his name is Scarecrow." I took the moment to spray him with the chemical and Batman went down on his knees. I went over to Scarecrow, jumping into his open arms as he spun me around.

"Wonderful my dear! You got him."

I pulled his mask up a bit as he set me down, him doing the same to mine and we kissed. When we pulled away, we turned to find Batman crawling over to Gordon. He looked like he was under the influence of the drug, but something wasn't right. Scarecrow held me close, his grip tightening on my waist as he watched.

Batman was faking.

The Joker caught on and grabbed the gun from Harley. Growling, he walked over at the two whispering men and he held the gun in Gordon's face, "Stand up, Batman." Batman did as he was told, and stood. Joker laughed and said, "You're not affected."

"No."

Scarecrow frowned, pulling his mask down, "How?"

"I had a friend go over the food taken from your apartment and it was laced with an unknown substance. We targeted it and found out what it was. We made an antidote."

I looked down at Gordon and said, "Joker! Look out!"

Gordon reached up and took the gun from the clown's hands, and pointed it at him. Harley started to slither off to the side, trying to run away. I wasn't bothered by her, not ever being fond of her anyway. I walked over to the group of guys, the tension palpable. I went over to Gordon and said, "Give me the gun."

"No."

"Give me the gun... or I'll be forced to take it from you."

"No."

"Have it your way then."

Reaching under the hem of my dress, I pulled out a knife I had stashed in the top of my leggings. Bringing it out quickly, I cut Gordon who let go of the gun. I caught it as it fell and used it to shoot at Batman as he came at me. When the first bullet him in the chest, he stared at me surprised, but as the second and third hit him he was completely unaware of the figure creeping up behind him. A baseball bat came flying out of the shadows and hit Batman over the head. As he fell Harley could be seen smiling at her handy work. Joker laughed and danced on the back of Batman and cheered, "Harley! Dance with me!"

She jumped on the back of the man and the two of them danced over his body. I turned to Gordon and said, "You're coming with us."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh shit....

comments?