Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

four

When we got home, I said good night to Bruce and went to my room. I had changed out of my party clothes and into my pajamas. I was brushing out my hair when a knock came at the door. Opening it, I found Bruce again.

"What? No tray of food?"

Bruce didn't smile, "Are you turning in for the night?"

"Yes."

Bruce nodded, "May I come in for a minute?"

I stepped aside to let him in, but I wished that I hadn't. His hands gripped my face and his lips crashed into mine. I was shocked at first, not quite understanding where this was all coming from, then I was angry. Pushing against him, I managed to get out of his grip, "What the hell Bruce?"

"I-I'm sorry.... I don't really know what got into me," pausing he looked at me, "I'm sorry." Turning awkwardly, he started to leave.

"No, Bruce," I said with a sigh, "It's okay."

He looked at me with a bright smile, "Really?"

"Well, not the kiss, but you don't have to leave."

"Oh," the smile deflated, "I really am sorry...."

"What did you expect to gain from that?"

"I honestly have no idea," he gave a laugh, "I like you, Bethy.... A lot."

My face fell, "Bruce."

"I should go."

I didn't know what to say. So I watched as Bruce walked out of my room, closing the door softly behind him. I stood there for a moment, then finished with my hair and slipped into bed. I laid there for a moment, then got up again, pulling out my laptop. Sitting up against the headboard of the bed, I logged onto the Internet, and grabbed my purse from the bedside table and pulled out the card that Dr. Jonathan Crane had given me.

Typing in his email address, I wrote a message:

I hope this is what you were going for. I'm sorry this doesn't have my phone number in it, but I don't feel comfortable giving that out.

Sending the message, I logged off, closed my computer, and settled back down to sleep.

In the morning, Bruce didn't come with a tray of food. Before going downstairs, I checked my email and found that I had one response.

Bethany, was it? Yes, this was one of the things I was hoping for. I'm happy that you sent me anything at all. I was worried that your friend, Mr. Wayne would tell you all of the awful things he thinks about me and chase you away.

By the way, I do have other means of talking. If you would like to sign in to the small chat-room I have made on the Arkham Asylum site at eleven, we could talk further.

If not, then I'll understand.


I was confused, what awful things? Looking at the clock, I saw that it was ten forty. I had enough time to run down stairs, grab a bowl of fruit and then come back up. Pulling on my robe, I slipped it on as I walked down the hallways to the giant kitchen. I remembered where everything was, so I grabbed a bowl and opened the fridge to find strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, sliced apples, grapes, and oranges. Grabbing an orange, a few strawberries, blueberries, and a banana that was sitting on the counter, I headed back upstairs to my room, and moved out onto the terrace.

The wind tugged at my hair which was now up in a bun, and I logged into the chat-room on the Arkham site, I was a couple of minutes early, but he was already on.

Dr.Crane: You're early.

Bethy: So are you.

Dr.Crane: So I am.

Bethy: If you don't mind me asking... what were the awful things Bruce would have told me?

Dr.Crane: Nothing really. Mr. Wayne just doesn't like what he doesn't understand.
Dr.Crane: I'm a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum. Arkham is a scary place. And I've put a lot of people into it.

Bethy: Really?

Dr.Crane: Insanity is everywhere, Bethany. You just don't see it sometimes.

Bethy: Well, now I feel safe.

Dr.Crane: Haha. Well don't worry. Not all of the insane are violent.

Bethy: So what is your goal with me?
Bethy: You must have wanted something when you slipped me your card. Other than me emailing you.

Dr.Crane: I just thought that such beauty shouldn't go to waste.
Dr.Crane: I noticed that you and Bruce were merely friends, although he is a bit possessive of you. Why?

Bethy: Bruce and I have been friends since we were very little.
Bethy: Last night he was sort of my escort through the big scary city.

Dr.Crane: Gotham is a very scary place, Miss. Elwood.

Bethy: I understand, really. I've been coming here since I was very little. It's always been dangerous.
Bethy: That is... it always had an element of danger when Bruce's parents were alive. Now, with no one trying to make it a better place, it's fallen into a state of terror.

Dr.Crane: It is so refreshing to meet someone who cares about the safety of this city.

Bethy: Was that sarcasm?

Dr.Crane: No.
Dr.Crane: This city needs people to care about it. With out them it will fall even further.

Bethy: Well as much as I want to do something, I won't make that much if an impact.

Dr.Crane: Why not?

Bethy: Because I'm only here for the week. Then my mother and I head back home.

Dr.Crane: And where is home?

Bethy: Chicago.

Dr.Crane: So far away?

Bethy: Yeah.

Dr.Crane: Well, you only being here for a week puts a rather large damper in my plans.

Bethy: Oh really?

Dr.Crane: Really. I was going to take you to see Wicked with me next week. It's in town for only a few months.

Bethy: Oh no! I love Wicked.

Dr.Crane: Really?

Bethy: It's one of my favorite musicals.

Dr.Crane: I've never seen it, myself.

Bethy: Well you should still go. It's fantastic.

Dr.Crane: You like musicals?

Bethy: Yes, very much so.

Dr.Crane: Well, perhaps I can find another musical that will interest you.

Bethy: Haha. Maybe.

Dr.Crane: If you don't mind me asking, but is Bethy a nickname?

Bethy: Yeah. Bruce was the one to come up with it.
Bethy: He got tired of saying Bethany all of the time, so he shortened it.

Dr.Crane: Do you like Mr. Wayne?

Bethy: Bruce and I are great friends, Dr. Crane.

Dr.Crane: Good.

Someone cleared their throat behind me and I jumped. Turing, I saw Bruce. Closing the screen a little, I set the computer on the table, "What the hell, Bruce! Give me a heart attack."

"Just wanted to see why you weren't at breakfast."

"Well, now you know. I'm up here with a bowl of fruit, and my computer."

"Who are you talking to?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Just curious."

"Well, it's a friend."

Bruce nodded, "Please, don't close up again, Bethy.... I'm sorry about last night."

"Apology accepted."

"Good. Do you want to come with me into the city?"

"For what?"

"I have some... shopping to do. I want to um... refurnish some parts of the house."

"And why am I coming?"

"I would like a second opinion."

I smiled, "Let me finish up here, take a shower, and then I'll come down."

"Take you time. I've got all day."

"Okay."

Bruce left the terrace and I turned back to the computer.

Dr.Crane: Bethany? Are you still there?

Bethy: Yes. Sorry, Bruce was talking to me.

Dr.Crane: What about?

Bethy: He wants my help picking out stuff for his house. He's refurnishing parts of it.

Dr.Crane: Sounds tedious.

Bethy: Haha. Very.

Dr.Crane: Maybe we'll run into each other.
Dr.Crane: Have lunch?

Bethy: Haha. Maybe.

Dr.Crane: You should go. Best not keep Mr. Wayne waiting.

Bethy: True. Bruce is a very impatient man.

Dr.Cane: Could I have you number? So I can call you when I'll pick you up?

Bethy: 217-365-8899

Dr.Crane: I'll give you a call.

Bethy: I'll be waiting.

We both logged off and I went to take a shower.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the instant messaging.... But I figured what the hell right?
Isn't Jonathan Crane so smooth? lol.
This is a Bruce Wayne story, I promise. ha.

Comments?
Anything?
Please?