Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

five

"What about this vanity?" I brought Bruce's attention from me to the piece of furniture in front of me, "It would go great with that dresser you bought for the other room."

"But it's a vanity."

"So?"

"So, why not?"

I laughed as Bruce flagged down a store employee to let them know that he wanted the vanity.

"You look cute today," he said.

"Thanks."

"I hope it's not for me."

"It isn't."

"Who is it for?"

"I have a lunch date."

Bruce stopped, "A lunch date?"

"Yes. A lunch that a friend and I sat a date for."

"Who's your friend?"

"What about this chest," I pointed out, "It would go great with the color scheme in the third room you were thinking about."

"Yes, it would, but who's your friend?"

"Why does it matter?"

Bruce looked upset, but didn't pursue the subject any further. I waited patiently for him to purchase the furnishings, then walked out of the building with him. We walked down the street with his arm around my waist. Across the street cameras flashed, taking pictures of Bruce Wayne and his new female companion. He was wearing khakis and a blue button up shirt, where I was wearing jeans and a tank top. As we walked, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Good afternoon, Miss. Elwood," It was Dr. Crane "How was your shopping?"

"Fun. Bruce showed that he has no taste in fine furnishing." That earned me a small poke from Bruce.

"Well, are you hungry?"

"Yes."

"Would you be willing to meet me at All The Kings Men? It's on Fourth and State."

"Yeah, I would be. I'll just have to catch a cab."

"Bruce won't drive you?"

"No, I would feel bad."

"I guess I can see that."

"When do you want me there?"

"As soon as possible?"

"Yeah, sure."

"I'll see you there."

"Goodbye."

Hanging up, Bruce looked at me, "Was that your lunch date?"

"Yes."

"Where are you eating?"

"All The Kings Men."

"Do you need a lift?"

"No, I can get a cab."

"No, I won't let you do that."

"Bruce, I can-"

"Nonsense," he approached his car and opened the door for me, "Get in."

Sighing, I surrendered and got into the car. Bruce drove down the streets of Gotham with ease, then pulled up to the side of the road in front of the restaurant. Just inside stood Dr. Crane, waiting for me. Bruce took one look and said, "No."

"What?"

"No."

"No what?"

"No you are not going in that restaurant."

"Yes I am."

"Is he your lunch date?"

"Yes."

"I'm not going to let you go with him."

"Why?"

"Because the guy isn't good."

"Why?"

"What he does, isn't good."

"Bruce, he works at Arkham Asylum. He works with sick people."

"Bethy-"

"You know what, no. I can take care of myself Bruce, I promise." Getting out of the car, I slammed the door behind me and walked through the front door, "Hello, Dr. Crane."

"Jonathan, please."

"Jonathan."

"You look lovely today."

"Thank you."

"Shall we sit?"

"Yes."

I followed him to a table and sat across from him. A waitress came and gave us menus and took our drink orders. I ordered an unsweetened iced tea, and so did he. When she left he looked up at me, "I didn't exactly know what kind of food you like, so I figured this would be a nice place."

"Well, American food is my forte."

Jonathan chuckled, "I chose well."

"Yes you did."

"Are you enjoying your stay?"

"Bruce can get on my nerves a little bit, but yes, I'm enjoying my stay."

"I'm sorry your friend is getting on your nerves."

I smiled, "But Bruce has been like that since we were little, so I'm used to it."

Jonathan smiled, "What kind of musicals do you like?"

"Um, you don't have to do this-"

"I feel bad for you missing Wicked, I want to make it up."

I laughed, "Jonathan, I've seen it already, if anything I would feel bad if you missed the opportunity to see it."

"Well I saw an add for Seussical The Musical[/i[... although I will admit that I have no idea what that means."

"Have you ever heard of Dr. Seuss? It's a musical based on his books."

Jonathan nodded, "Is it any good?"

"Yes."

"You've seen it?"

"I have a friend who has a little brother back home, so we took him. He really enjoyed it."

"There's also Chicago."

"Now there's a musical I've never seen."

"Really?"

"Ironic I know."

"Indeed, would you like to see it?"

I looked at him, "Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"We'll see how this goes."

Jonathan nodded, "Good point."

I looked at the menu and found what I wanted, a classic dish of chicken fingers and fries. It's a little childish, I know, but it's still good. I placed my order, feeling even more childish as Jonathan ordered a salad. Jonathan smiled at me as I placed my order, and I blushed a little bit.

"It's a great dish." I said.

"It is indeed."
♠ ♠ ♠
He's so smooth.
Way to go Jonathan. ha.

Comments! More comments = faster updates from me. :D SO DO IT!