Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

seven

After dinner I went upstairs to call Johnathan back. It rang twice before he picked up, "Hello, this is Jonathan Crane."

"Hey, Jonathan, it's Beth."

"Good evening, Bethany."

"Beth, please."

"Beth."

"How was the rest of your day?"

"Like every other one. Although there was something missing from it after lunch."

"And what was that?"

"You."

I fought back an audible 'aw', I did smile however. "Well, I'm sure I can be with you again some time soon."

"How about dinner?"

"That's what your voice mail promised."

"Is that why you're calling?"

"Yes, and because you asked... and because I wanted to talk to you."

"Just talk?"

"Can't I like talking to you?"

Jonathan laughed, "So, dinner tomorrow is a yes?"

"Yes."

"Good."

"Where are we going?"

"It's an Italian restaurant."

"Dress?"

"Fancy."

"Alrighty."

"How was the rest of your day?"

"Good."

"Anything happen at the Wayne manor?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Bruce and I had sex." I felt no guilt, no blush.

Jonathan was quiet for a moment, "I thought you said that you and Mr. Wayne were only friends."

"We are. That doesn't mean that I won't take advantage of the situation to satisfy my sexual tension... it's been a while, if you know what I mean. And I don't believe that sex has to be between two people who are romantically involved. Casual sex is sex, like it or not."

"You understand the nature of the human ways, how very Freud of you."

I smiled, "I'm going to take that in a good way, thanks."

"So, I'll pick you up at eight."

"Alright."

"I'll see you then."

"I'll be waiting."

We both said good bye and I set my phone on the bedside table. Picking up the dishes from this morning, I went down to the kitchen to put them away. On my way back, I heard someone playing the piano; playing three two note chords. Going into the library, I looked around and found no one. Walking up to the piano, I touched the sets, and ran my fingers up to where the first set seemed to have rung out. Playing them, I moved up to play the second chord, but was interrupted by Alfred, "That's an interesting piano. It belonged to Master Wayne's great great uncle."

"Did it now?"

"Indeed it did."

My hand fell from the keys, "Did you hear someone playing it just a moment ago?"

"Besides you? No."

"Maybe I was just hearing things."

"Maybe." Walking away from the piano, I gave the butler a hug and wished him a good night.

~

I got ready for dinner, pulling on a deep red dress that cut off at my knees, the skirt was flowy - one of those that flies up to your waist when you twirl in it. The skirt obviously started at my hips and the bodice of the dress clung to my figure nicely. The straps of the dress fell around my shoulders. I had my long hair done up in an Audrey Hepburn Breakfast At Tiffany's style, and my makeup was done naturally with my signature red lips. I loved being one of those few women who could pull that off. On my feet I wore black heels to go along with my black purse.

The TV in my room was on, spilling the news. I listened a little bit, not really caring. But some thing did catch my attention. Walking out of the bathroom, I leaned against the door frame, News from Arkham Asylum, the mass murderer and psychopath known as the Joker has escaped. No word yet on where this fiend is located, but if you plan on going out tonight, you are warned.

I frowned. The Joker? Really? I looked at the clock and saw that Johnathan should be here soon. Grabbing my purse, I made sure that everything I needed was in it, then left the room. Walking down the stairs, I met up with Bruce who looked up from the book he was reading to gawk at me, "Where are you going?"

"I'm having dinner with Jonathan."

"Have you seen the news?"

"Yes."

"So you know about the Joker."

"Yes."

"He's a dangerous man, Bethy."

"I'm aware. Bruce, I'm sure we'll be fine. We're going to the restaurant, then leaving."

"Where are you going after?"

"I don't know."

Bruce was quiet, and I took that as he didn't have anything to say and went down the rest of the stairs and left the house. Johnathan was getting out of the car, looking in front of him as he straightened his suit. Closing his door, he saw me and smiled. Walking around the car, I met him and smiled, "Hello, Jonathan."

"Hello."

"You look beautiful."

"Thank you."

"Bruce is watching."

"Is he?"

"In an upstairs window."

I sighed, "He still insists that you're dangerous."

"Do you think I am?"

"Should I think you are?"

"I have no intentions of harming you, Beth."

I smiled, "Um... I want to do something that I didn't get to do yesterday."

"What?"

Leaning in, I gave him a soft kiss then said, "Thanks for the lunch."

"I'm very sorry that you didn't get to do that yesterday." He smiled and opened the door for me allowing me to sit. He drove away from the mansion and drove expertly through the city. He pulled to a stop in a parking shelter across from the street from the restaurant, and we crossed the street. Entering the restaurant, he gave his name and we were seated. The waitress came and we ordered drinks, I ordered a sprite and he ordered a gin of some kind.

"A sprite?"

"I don't drink, and the bubbles keep the on lookers ignorant."

"You don't drink ever?"

"I do, just not usually."

"Clever trick," he said.

Our drinks came and we ordered our food. I ordered a shrimp and scallop platter, sea food being a weakness of mine, it was served with noodles on the side as well as a starter salad. We both placed our salad orders then continued to talk, this time about him. I learned that his was a psycholpharmacologist and when I asked what that was I learned that he studied drug-induced changes in moods, sensations, thinking, and behavior. "Sounds interesting."

He smiled, "It is."

We talked through our salads, then the food came out. It was delicious. I smiled as we continued to talk, and if anyone were to look at us would tell that we were definitely on a date. As we finished our main course, we were interrupted by a man with graying hair, "Enjoying your evening out, Dr. Crane."

Jonathan looked up and said, "Indeed I have Judge Torkin."

"I bet she's good a relieving you after a hard day putting completely sane people into your little asylum up there?"

"Judge Torkin, first of all I am taking offense to your comment about my date. Second of all, the moment I walked into the room I couldn't help but notice Marius huddling in the corner clawing his eyes out crying about some scarecrow. Now, if you could find a way to calm him down with out drugging him, I'll be more than happy to correct whatever error of judgment I've made. However, seeing that I am a trained psychologist, trained to identify insanity when I see it, I'm sure my word is good enough for the people doing the paper work."

"You're a dirty politician."

"I'm not in politics, sir."

Turning to me he said, "Aren't you a friend of Bruce Wayne's?"

"Yes, I am."

Smiling he held out his hand, "I'm Torkin, the judge."

"Bethany." I shook it.

Turning back to Jonathan, he gave him a tight nod and left the table. Looking at Jonathan I said, "You put someone away?"

"He was in hysterics, pointing at the ceiling, talking about some scarecrow that only he could see," he leaned over the table, "I tried all that I could to calm him down, but nothing could be done."

"That's so sad."

"We're living in sad times, Beth."

As he said that, we were joined by a waiter. Looking up at him, I had to keep my face blank. He had scars running up from the corners of his mouth, terrible scars. He smiled, "Enjoying your evening?"

Jonathan seemed to pale but managed, "Yes. We were just leaving."

"See you outside then." The waiter gave a shrill laugh and left. Jonathan flagged down our waitress and paid her, telling her to keep the change.

Walking outside we hurried across the street and up the three floors to Jonathan's car. As we approached we noticed several people standing around it. All were wearing clown masks, except one. He wore a purple suit, had green hair, and his face was covered with makeup. His lips were red, the makeup covering a set of scars that tore up from his lips. It was the waiter from the restaurant. I clutched Jonathan's arm, scared.

"Good evening, lady and gentleman," said the man in the purple suit, "Get him."

Jonathan turned around and yelled, "Bethany run!"

I did, looking on in horror as the clowns grabbed a hold of Jonathan. Turning to full on run, I ran into a purple suit and screamed as his gloved hands came down on my arms. Pulling me into him he smiled and said, "Come for a ride."
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to. The Joker is way to much fun not to put in these.

But on a darker note: Oh no! What's going to happen to Jonathan and Bethany?
Is Jonathan a good guy?
Does he really care for Bethany?
Who was playing Bruce's piano?
Why am I asking so many questions?

Comment!