Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

movin' along

It didn’t take long for Maddie to respond to Kennedy’s gentle, familiar lips. She placed one hand on the nape of his neck and the other rested leisurely on his shoulder.

Their lips worked in unison flawlessly and euphoria made her mind a haze. She could feel the love and the delicacy in which he kissed her, and it calmed her racing heart.

Kennedy kissed her like he had never kissed anyone before. He kissed her in a way that seemed as if he would never kiss her again, and the realization of truth that thought gave him made him even more eager to give Maddie all he had.

She needed confidence and she needed love; two things he was more than obliged to give her. He wasn’t trying to win her with this kiss; he was trying to help her. His love couldn’t heal her broken heart, only John’s could. But maybe, just maybe Kennedy pouring his heart out would act as a sealant over the cuts and bruises.

They kissed for a long time; long enough for the people around that had been watching the two estranged friends make-out got bored and went back to their own conversations. It was also long enough for someone to tell John, and for him to walk towards the pair angrily.

When he reached them he grasped Kennedy by his shoulder and pulled him out to the empty backyard. Surprise took over Kennedy’s body as he touched his lips with his fingertips, smiling. He met John’s furious eyes as his face was turning red, suddenly realizing the crowd around them: Jared, Pat, Garrett, Courtney, and Maddie standing right next to them.

“John,” Kennedy put his hands in the air, knowing what John wanted to do.

“I cannot believe you,” he said through his teeth.

Kennedy’s body language turned from nervous to angry, “Really? Because I can’t believe you’re being such an idiot. Maddie loves you and we all know you love her, so just get it over with!”

“So you had to make-out with her to encourage me to do it myself? Yeah, that makes sense,” John said. His hand was still resting on Kennedy’s shoulder as Maddie stood on the side of them, trying to move John’s arm. The boys didn’t even recognize her struggle.

“Why? Are you jealous?” Kennedy challenged.

“I have a girlfriend, Kennedy,” he said, knowing Courtney was nearby, watching.

“Right, I forgot. You have an annoying, slutty girlfriend that in no way compares to Maddie,” Kennedy said as John pushed his chest, getting angrier, “And you know what the worst part is?” Kennedy asked John as they walked closer to each other again, “You know that I’m right.”

John took one last breath before swinging his right fist and hitting Kennedy in the mouth. He fell to the ground and gripped his jaw as his bottom lip bled.

Maddie ran to Kennedy’s side and helped him sit up, “Kennedy, are you okay?” Maddie asked, panicked.

He grunted and lifted his eyes to John. Maddie followed his eyes and stood up and walked to John. She stood close to him, her neck stretched as he was much taller. She put her hands on her hips, “What the hell, John?”

“Maddie, this doesn’t concern you,” John said.

Maddie looked at him incredulously, “Are you kidding me? It has everything to do with me. You should not have punched Kennedy. I asked him to kiss me!”

John’s breath caught as she said this, “Y-You what?”

“Yeah, I did. Gosh, John, I’m so over your crap,” Maddie said, irritated.

“Me? I’m not the one who makes out with two guys within minutes of each other!”

“You’re right. You are the one that makes out with two girls within minutes of each other, I forgot, you’re so much better,” Maddie spat.

“I’ve always been this way, Maddie. You’re the one that’s changing,” he said.

“You have not always been this way, John. You used to be a good guy,” she said.

“I guess you didn’t know me that well then,” he said cockily, crossing his arms over his chest.

Maddie’s small frame couldn’t control the anger anymore. She looked at Kennedy on the ground before she faced John again and formed her right hand into a fist. She swung and hit John’s cheek bone. His face twisted to the opposite side as he placed his hand over his barely red cheek.

The group that had been standing a couple of yards away had now congregated next to Maddie and John.

Maddie’s mouth formed into a straight line as John looked back at her, knowing what was coming next. “Oh my god,” she screamed, holding her throbbing hand.

Garrett ran to her side and studied her swollen knuckles carefully, “Oh, Maddie,” he said sympathetically.

The shock of the pain caused a few tears to stroll down Maddie’s cheeks as she let out small whimpers. She looked up at John who was looking at her hand, “Seriously? You’re not even hurt!?”

John shook his head, “I’ll go get some ice,” he mumbled.

“No,” Maddie said to John. She turned to Garrett, “Will you do it?”

Garrett looked at John uneasily then nodded and walked into the house.

“Maddie, let me look at it,” he said.

“No. You can go, John. You’re not needed here,” Maddie said.

Courtney met John at his side and pulled him back into the house, sneering at Maddie. Once they shut the door behind them, Maddie turned to Kennedy, Jared, and Pat.

“I am so pathetic,” she said, sitting on the ground.

Kennedy sat next to her, “Its okay, Madds. That was a good hit.”

Maddie rolled her eyes, “Apparently not,” she motioned to her hand that Jared was resting on top of his gently.

“Roll your hand into a fist,” he directed. Maddie attempted to do as he said and cried out when she tried.

“I think you broke a knuckle or two. Maybe three,” Jared told her.

Maddie rested her head on Kennedy’s shoulder, “Fantastic,” she mumbled.

“You won’t need a cast or anything. Just some tight wrap. You’ll be fine,” Pat lightly rubbed her back.

They sat in silence before Kenny spoke up, “Well, I’ll just say what everyone is thinking. Great job, Maddie, he deserved it.”

“It didn’t even leave a mark on him.”

“He’ll have a bruise, a little one,” Jared reassured her.

“You should have hit him back, Kenny! I totally had my money on you,” Pat said.

Kennedy shrugged, “He’s drunk. I mean, I could beat him sober, but it’s really not fair when he’s drunk.”

“Well, apparently he’s indestructible when he’s intoxicated,” Maddie said, annoyed.

Garrett walked out of the house with a bag of ice in his hand and a beige colored wrap, “Or you’re just a lot weaker when you’re sober.”

Maddie cringed as Jared wrapped her right hand. He did it quickly and when he was done she placed the ice softly on her hand, “I want to go home,” she stood up.

“Can you drive?” Kennedy asked.

Maddie smiled lightly, “I’ll be fine. I’ll call you all tomorrow.”

Maddie went home and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. She woke up around nine the next morning but lay in her bed until noon. Her phone kept buzzing on the nightstand next to her bed, but she ignored every call.

She was annoyed and just wanted everything to be over with. Why did she pick the wrong guys, all the time? Why couldn’t she have had a crush on Garrett when she was a kid, and not John? Things would have been so much easier.

When she finally got out of bed she unwrapped her hand and took a shower. She got dressed in skinny jeans, a blue American eagle jacket, and brown moccasins before she wrapped her hand again. She grabbed four large envelopes off her desk.

Maddie got in her car and drove to the post office. The lines in front of all the mail boxes were semi-long and she waited patiently behind a young woman with two babies in her arms.

“Maddie?” she heard her name called and turned to face the person behind her.

John’s hair was sloppily thrown on the top of his head and he had sunglasses shielding his eyes. He was wearing skinny jeans and a black and white plaid shirt over a black wife-beater. He was so obviously hung over it was ridiculous. His glasses covered any mark Maddie may have left with her punch.

She sighed, “What are you doing here, John?”

He held up the manila envelope in his hands, “Mailing demos.”

Maddie nodded her head and turned to face forward, not wanting to talk to him. She could feel him looking over her shoulder before he spoke again, “College applications?”

She looked at him, “Yep.”

“So you’re actually sending them?” he asked, looking at the one addressed to Harvard on top.

The woman in front of Maddie placed her mail into the box and Maddie took a step forward, opening the box and putting her envelopes in. She turned back to John, “There’s no point in staying here, now is there?”

She tried to walk away but he grabbed her wrist and stepped out of the line, “I was going to mail this with the demos, but I’ll just give it to you now,” he said as he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a letter.

Maddie took it from him, “I’ll see you later.” She said and walked quickly out of the post office.
When she got to her car she tore open the letter.

Letter #1- January 01

Well, here goes nothing. Happy New Year! I know it’s probably not too happy for you because you really hurt your hand, but for that reason it wasn’t very happy for me either. I think I owe you an apology. It’s really lame to do this in a letter, especially because you’re a much better wordsmith than I am.

But I’m sorry for last night. I shouldn’t have done what I did. I know that my drunkenness isn’t a good enough excuse, but it’s the only one I have. I can’t imagine what you’re feeling right now. It’s probably comparable to the way I felt every time you kissed me when I knew you loved Kennedy.

Sorry, that was rude and this is supposed to be an apology. I’ll never do what I did again. Courtney is officially my girlfriend now and I really want you two to get along. I know it’s a lot to ask, but I think if you gave her the chance, you’d like her…. maybe… a little bit.

I know I’ve been a jerk since you’ve gotten back. You’ve been nothing but understanding and then I pull this crap. I’m so sorry. I want to say that I want to be your friend again. If you give me the chance, I’ll give myself the chance. It will take time and it’ll take work, but I’m willing.

Write me back, soon.

-John O’Callaghan V


Maddie finished reading John’s apology and threw the letter into the backseat. She was sick of his apologies. She knew she couldn’t stay mad at him for long, though. She believed in forgiveness and second chances, even though sometimes she shouldn’t. She decided she would let John sweat it out for a while.

School started back up again on Monday and Maddie dragged her feet as she walked to her Calculus class. Courtney glared at her and she rolled her eyes. She sat down in her seat as Kennedy flashed a friendly smile her way.

“Your lip seems to be getting better,” she stated, looking at his semi-swollen bottom lip, courtesy of John.

Kennedy nodded, “How’s your hand?”

She smiled, “Feeling a lot better,” she said.

“Hey Maddie?” Kennedy asked quietly.

“Yes?”

“You kissed me a few nights ago.”

Maddie looked down at the desk in front of her, “Um, yeah, about that…” she started, but the bell rang and cut off her explanation. “We’ll talk later,” she whispered, hoping he would forget.

Mr. Watts addressed the class and assigned them a worksheet. Maddie attempted to do the first few problems, but gave up as her mind refused to focus on anything except John.

She tore a piece of lined paper out of her binder and began writing.

Letter #1-January 04

Dear John,

I think your apology was very sincere. It was still really screwed up, what you did. Especially how you denied it meant anything. I think you’re lying. But I’m giving up on trying to get the truth out of you.

You want to be my friend, huh? Well it’s about freakin’ time. This is your fight, though, John. I’ve always been your friend, so only you can screw this up. I’m done making a fool out of myself. If you don’t love me then it’s whatever, but yes, I would like to be your friend again, too.

I don’t deem it necessary to tell you how I feel about Courtney. One, because she’s sitting right next to me at this moment and if she reads this it could cause some problems. Two, you already know she’s a total whore.

John, I miss you. You were a great best friend and I’m still waiting for you to admit that we were in fact best friends. I’ve got letters to prove it. So I’ll send you some every once in a while. I still want to know what letter number eighty-one said.

So, I guess I’ll end this letter telling you that I’m not giving up on you just yet, O’Callaghan. Even though, God knows, I should. You’ve burned me a lot in the last month but I think the match you were using has finally blown out and you’re ready like I am.

I’m sticking with you not because you deserve it, but because that’s what best friends do.

-Maddie
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!
Anyone think John is actually being sincere this time?
Just a note, next chapter will be pretty exciting for anybody that's team Garrett, just sayin'!
(: