Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

a different light

“Maddie!” Garrett exclaimed loudly into the phone, “What do you get a one year old for her birthday!?”

Maddie laughed, “Calm down. Where are you right now?” she asked, recognizing the loud background noises.

“Toys R Us,” he said, “Pat left me half an hour ago to go play and I’m panicking.”

Maddie laughed, “Aw, don’t worry, Garrett. I already got Emma a gift. You can just put your name on it.”

“You wouldn’t mind?” he asked.

“I don’t mind at all. You better find Pat and get out of there, though. The party starts in a half hour.” She said as she slipped brown flats on her feet.

“I’ll see you there,” Garrett said quickly and hung up. Maddie walked into the kitchen and grabbed the gift she was giving Emma. Her parents had already left for Kennedy’s house to help him set up for Emma’s big day.

Maddie made it to the fully decorated Brock house at the same time Garrett and Pat did. They entered together. The first thing Maddie saw was John lying on his stomach on the floor while Emma played with his hair.

“Oh, hey guys,” John said.

Pat laughed, “Looking good, John Oh.”

Emma recognized their presence and reached her arms out towards Maddie. She handed the gift off to Garrett and lifted Emma off the ground.

“Hello baby,” she said sweetly.

“Excuse me. I was in the middle of getting my hair did,” John said from the floor.

Maddie laughed as she placed Emma where she was before and laid next to John. John took Emma’s tiny hands in his and clapped them together, bringing forth a giggle from Emma’s lips. Maddie smiled, thinking it was so adorable.

“I have a letter for you. It’s in my back pocket,” he told her.

Maddie looked at John’s behind quickly, “Did you want me to grab it?” she laughed.

He perched his butt in the air and Maddie swiftly took the envelope while she rolled her eyes. Kennedy approached the couple on the floor and picked up Emma. “It’s time for presents,” he smiled.

He looked at Emma, “Are you excited?”

Emma stared at him blankly and Kennedy nodded his head, “Awesome.” He laughed as they all walked to the living room.

Emma was completely spoiled. She received a million new toys and clothes. Kennedy put the bag that contained Maddie and Garrett’s gift in it in front of her.

“Oh, that’s ours,” she told Garrett.

Garrett put his arm over Maddie’s shoulder, “That’s from Aunt Maddie and Uncle Garrett!” he told the group.

Kenny helped Emma look through the tissue paper to pull out a blanket. It was hand-sewn and every patch contained a picture; mostly of animals, especially hippopotamuses, which Emma had taken a liking to. Every few patches were a picture of Carly.

Emma held the soft blanket close to her and Kennedy looked at Maddie, “This is perfect.”

Maddie nodded and Garrett squeezed her tighter, noticing a tear forming in her eye

After everyone ate cake, Maddie and Garrett said goodbye to everyone, making up an excuse that they had a project to do. The two decided they would go to the park with the extra cake Kennedy had given to them to celebrate the fact they had been together for exactly one week.

While Garrett drove, Maddie held John’s unopened letter tightly in her hands.

Garrett laughed as he glanced at Maddie, “You can read it you know.”

Maddie looked at him, a pensive look on her face, “Garrett?”

“Yes, Maddie?” he laughed.

“Am I supposed to stop being John’s friend? You know since you and I…” she trailed off.

“Don’t be stupid, Madds. Of course I want you two to be friends. Actually, I demand it,” he stated.

Maddie laughed as she tore open the letter, “Okay then.”

Letter #3-January 18

Maddie,

Today is Emma’s birthday. I got her a toy that makes a noise every time you pick it up. It will make Kennedy go crazy, so I’m pretty proud of myself. I’m sure you got her something fantastic.

Do you remember the first time our whole group hung out? It was Carly’s tenth birthday, you guys had been moved in for like a week. Your mom invited the whole neighborhood. Jared and Kennedy thought Carly was so cute, and they forced me to go. I agreed, only because you guys had a water slide.

I met you that day. We’ve never talked about this before but do you remember what happened? It’s really embarrassing for me. I went down the slide and when I landed in the water my swim trunks came right off. You were swimming under the water with your goggles on and I’m pretty sure you saw… everything.

That day I knew I had to stay on your good side because you would always use that against me. I’m pretty sure you forgot and I just reminded you though, so please don’t tell anyone! Unless it’s a compliment, then you can tell everyone.

I like that we’re becoming friends again. Actually, I love it. I know I denied it before but I really missed you, Maddie. We definitely need to have one of our infamous hang out nights again. Let me know if you’re down.

-John


Maddie laughed out loud at the memory of John’s shorts coming off in her pool. Garrett looked at her, “What?”

Maddie sighed, “I’m going to tell you something. But you have to promise not to bring it up again!”

“I promise.”

“I’ve seen all of John’s… manhood. Back when he wasn’t a man,” Maddie laughed.

Garrett let out a laugh, “I don’t know if I can hold information like that in.”

“You have to! He’ll kill me,” she told him.

Garrett laughed as he drew circles on Maddie’s thigh, “Okay, okay.”

Before the two got to the park Garrett’s phone rang. As he talked Maddie could tell he was frustrated. He hung up hastily and stopped the car, resting his head against the steering wheel, “We have to go back. There’s band practice, apparently.”

“That’s okay,” she said as she played with the hair on the back of his neck. “I like watching you play.”

“Oh, yeah?” Garrett asked.

Maddie smiled, “I don’t know if you know this, but I have a thing for guys in bands.”

“Good to know. I really wasn’t sure,” Garrett teased as he turned the car around and made the way to his house.

Garrett and Maddie reached his house and walked into the garage where all the guys waited impatiently.

“Finally, what took you so long? I thought you were just at Maddie’s,” Jared said.

Garrett shrugged, “We just had to finish our project,” he said so casually Maddie almost believed him. “Why the impromptu band practice?”

“Yeah, John, what’s going on? It’s Emma’s birthday, I don’t really thinks he wants to spend it watching me play.” Kennedy said as he motioned to the baby in the play pen near the door.

John grinned from ear to ear, “I have fantastic news.” No one responded and he sighed, “Will someone show some enthusiasm?”

“Oh my gosh! John, tell me your news!” Maddie clapped her hands and jumped up and down, causing a laugh from the guys.

“Thank you, Madeline,” John smiled cheerfully, not even recognizing she was clearly faking it, “I got a phone call today… from a record company. They’re sending someone out to our next show!”

All of the guys erupted in fits of cheering and hugging. Maddie smiled lightly as they had their moment and walked to Emma, lifting her and holding her near her hip.

“Looks like it’s just going to be you and me, Em,” Maddie told the baby.

“Maddie, get over here!” John called.

She walked over to the boys with Emma and gave her to Kennedy, “I’m so proud of you guys.”

“Thanks, boo,” Garrett said and kissed her cheek. Maddie blushed at his gesture and laughed at the completely oblivious boys.

“I don’t think she’s really happy for us,” Pat stated.

“Neither do I,” Jared agreed.

Maddie laughed nervously, “What are you talking about? Of course I am!” she lied.

Garrett saw right through her and wrapped his arm over her shoulders, “Madds, what’s wrong?”

Maddie shrugged nonchalantly, “I’ll just be really sad when you all leave.”

All of the boys rolled their eyes, “Maddie, we’re never leaving you,” John said.

She smiled weakly at the completely unrealistic idea, “Looks like you guys have some work to do!” she said, changing the subject to get the attention off her.

“Yes! We do. We have a show next week and everything must be perfect,” John said, very professional.

Maddie took a seat on the ground and placed the large headphones Kennedy had brought over Emma’s ears. She watched as the boys worked out a new song. She liked that she couldn’t take her eyes off Garrett. It was something new and refreshing, and she loved it.

She especially liked that Garrett hardly ever looked at her. He was concentrated on getting his bass part down, and he wasn’t distracted. She got to admire him without feeling awkward, something she hadn’t ever done.

Maddie didn’t know that while the rest of the guys figured out the best chord progressions and beats, John was watching her. He couldn’t understand why she seemed to forget he was even there. It was new and not so refreshing, and he could not stand it.

After about an hour of practice, Garrett’s mom announced she had made the boys brownies. Everyone rushed upstairs but Kennedy stayed behind. He picked Emma up from Maddie’s lap and then helped her up.

He stopped her before she made her way to the door, “Maddie, can we talk?”

“Sure, Kenny, what’s up?” she asked.

“Um, well, I know things aren’t awkward between us, and I swear I’m not trying to make it awkward, but…” Kennedy struggled to let the words out.

Maddie nodded her head, “You want to talk about the kiss at New Years.”

Kennedy smiled lightly, “I’ve just been thinking about it a lot.”

“Kenny, I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but it honestly didn’t mean anything. I was just really upset,” Maddie said quietly.

Kennedy stared at his shoes, “Yeah, I figured. I guess I just needed to hear you say it.”

Maddie sighed, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done it.”

Kennedy nodded his head, “Probably not. But it’s over now, so whatever.”

“You’re not mad, are you?” Maddie asked, concerned.

Kennedy met her eyes and shook his head, “I don’t understand you, Maddie. How can you be so worried about how I feel? You should hate me.”

“I don’t hate you, Kenny,” Maddie told him honestly.

“I took your virginity, Maddie, while I kept the biggest lie… like, ever,” Kennedy said, rubbing the back of his neck while he looked at Emma.

Maddie wrapped her arms around herself, “Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?”

Kennedy recognized she was uncomfortable and took the hint, “Nope. Shall we go get some brownies?”

Maddie smiled, “Lead the way,” she said and followed him to the kitchen.

All of the boys and Maddie stayed at Garrett’s house for another few hours, gushing about the possibility of the band getting a record deal.

Around midnight Maddie announced she was leaving, she hugged all of the guys goodbye but John stopped her before she walked away, “So, I was thinking that maybe tomorrow you’d like to come over and we can watch The Godfather, part one and two, and then criticize number three for it’s horrible plot.”

Maddie smiled and looked at Garrett as he talked to Kennedy, “Sorry, John. I have plans with Garrett.”

A look of defeat washed across John’s face right before he smiled, “Oh, okay, Maybe some other time.”

Maddie agreed and smiled as Garrett walked her to her car.

“What are you so chipper about?” Garrett asked as he interlaced their fingers.

Maddie shook her head, “Just happy to be with you,” she smiled as she kissed him lightly on the lips. She didn’t feel the need to tell Garrett the real reason she couldn’t stop smiling.

She had just turned down John O’Callaghan, and it felt unexpectedly amazing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this update took a little bit longer, it's been a busy week.
So how's everyone feeling about Maddie and Garrett? (:
I love hearing what you think!