Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

can you keep a secret?

“Oh my gosh,” Maddie said as she pushed Garrett off of her.

“Umm,” Kennedy said, looking anywhere but at Maddie or Garrett.

“Um, Kennedy, that wasn’t…” Garrett couldn’t think of what to say.

Kennedy finally looked at the two, “What the hell did I just walk in on?”

Garrett and Maddie stole glances at each other before Garrett shrugged and Maddie sighed, “Garrett and I are dating.”

Kennedy’s eyes went wide, “What?”

“For like two and a half weeks now.” Garrett told him.

Kennedy ran a hand through his head as his eyebrows furrowed, “Why?”

“Why are we dating?” Maddie clarified his strange question.

“Yeah, I mean… what?” Kennedy shook his head, so confused as he sat on Maddie’s bed.

Garrett sighed, “Kennedy, you can’t tell anyone.”

“I’m the only one that knows?”

“Yes and its going to stay that way.” Maddie said, completely serious to show the importance she needed him to comprehend.

“John is not going to handle this well,” Kennedy said.

“That’s why he’s never going to find out,” Maddie said quietly.

Garrett looked at her, “He’s going to find out eventually, Maddie. We’re not keeping this secret forever. He’s coming to the wedding.”

“Who says I’m going to marry you, Garrett?” Maddie asked.

“I do! You’re marrying me, we’re having four kids, three of whom will be named Garrett junior,” he told her.

Maddie looked at him, unbelieving, “Even our daughters?”

“We’re not having girls.” Garrett crossed his arms over his chest.

“So what are you going to do if we have girls? Is infanticide going to become our pastime?”

Garrett shrugged, just noticing Kennedy’s quiet presence in the room, “We’ll give them to Kenny. Emma needs a sister.”

Kennedy shook his head, “You two really are the perfect couple. I can’t believe I never saw it before.”

Maddie sat next to Kennedy on the bed, “Please don’t tell. We’ll let everyone know when the timing is okay.”

“Who knows, we might break up and we won’t have to tell anyone.” Garrett said. Maddie glared at him, “Just kidding, babe.”

Kennedy stood and walked to the door, “Well I just came to check make sure you were feeling okay. But I see you’re fine. Um, yeah, I guess I’ll see you at band practice tonight,” Kennedy said. He looked at them, not sure if he should say something else. He decided against it and waved awkwardly before leaving the room. Maddie walked after him and stopped him at the front door.

“Kennedy, are you okay?” she asked.

“Honestly?”

“Honestly,” she said, suddenly not so sure that she wanted to hear his honest answer.

He hung his head, “Honestly, I’m pissed off. Maddie, you’re not supposed to be with Garrett!”

“Kennedy,” Maddie placed a hand on his arm but he pulled away.

“You don’t get how hard this is, do you?” he asked with his hands on his hips. Maddie shook her head, saying no. Kennedy continued, “It was hard enough watching you realize John has completely gotten over you and then you not coming to me. And now you’ve decided Garrett is the right choice? Really?”

“Kennedy!” Maddie said forcefully, “We can’t ever be anything. Not again.”

“Why not?” He asked.

Maddie sighed, not even trying to arrange the words delicately, “Because I don’t want to.”

Kennedy took in a breath, knowing the answer before it even escaped her lips, “So, we’re over then?”

“We’ve been over since you slept with my sister, Kennedy,” she said quietly.

Kennedy looked at her sad eyes and immediately felt guilty, “I’m sorry I yelled at you.”

“I’m sorry you had to find out like this.” Maddie said.

“I’ll see you later, I guess.” Kennedy reached for the door, “But Maddie?”

“Yes?”

“I won’t always be waiting for you,” he said.

“I know,” she said, not liking the way the thought made her sad. Kennedy exited her house and she walked back to her room. She sighed dramatically and collapsed on her bed, “Shoot.”

“He’s not going to tell John.” Garrett comforted her.

“You’re probably right,” Maddie agreed, “We all know how good you all are at keeping secrets.”

Garrett’s face fell into a frown as he sat on the bed, ignoring the obvious point she was making and changing the subject, “You need to tell him.”

Maddie covered her face with her hands, “I know.”

“But after the show on Saturday. He doesn’t need to be more stressed,” he decided.

“Will you be there when I tell him? Maybe it’ll prevent him from punching me in the face,” Maddie said.

“He’s not going to punch you, boo. He has a girlfriend, remember? He’s not jealous of us.” Garrett said.

“How do you know?” Maddie asked.

Garrett sighed as he lay next to her, “Now, I know I’m good looking and all. But I’ll be the first to admit, John is also very good looking. Plus he can sing, so he really has no reason to be jealous of me, except for the fact that I have you,” Garrett smiled, masking his concern that John’s only ounce of jealousy had the potential to turning into full-blown envy.

Maddie laughed, “That’s the first non-egotistical thing I’ve ever heard you say.”

“I didn’t say he’s hotter than me. Just that girls like lead singers. Really what I’m saying is girls are stupid and John is nothing special.” He said.

Maddie laughed as she rested her head on his chest, “And you’re back.”

*

“Pat, please take a shower before Saturday,” John begged as the group sat in Garrett’s living room, discussing the set list.

Maddie sat next to Garrett, his arm around her shoulder, normal behavior for the friends. Kennedy couldn’t stop looking their way, and Maddie couldn’t help but notice how on edge he was.

“Kenny, what’s up man? You’ve been super quiet,” Jared pointed out, causing the whole group to look at the guitarist.

He looked up at them, “Oh, nothing. I’m fine.”

John shrugged and stood up, “I’m going to get some water, you guys better have picked an opening song when I get back,” he said before he exited the room.

Garrett leaned into Maddie and whispered in her ear, “This is awkward.” Maddie nodded as she rubbed her hand on his thigh, he kissed her cheek before looking back at the other three boys looking right at him.

“Are you guys like, dating or something?” Pat asked.

“What!?” Maddie gasped, “Kennedy?”

Kennedy looked at Pat and Jared awkwardly, “Um, I didn’t say anything, Maddie,” he said through tight lips.

Maddie looked at the boys, her mouth in an ‘O’ shape. Garrett hung his head as he shook it from side to side.

“Oh my gosh!” Jared said.

“I was just kidding! I thought I would make fun of how touchy you guys always are and make you feel awkward since we had nothing else to talk about. But you’re actually dating!?” Pat asked, so shocked his voice was steadily rising.

“Shhh,” Garrett said, placing a hand over his friend’s mouth, “John doesn’t know.”

“You’re not telling John?” Jared asked in a whisper.

“Not yet! And you can’t either. Please don’t.” Maddie begged.

Pat shook his head, “I can’t believe Kenny knew before I did.”

Maddie smiled lightly, “Sorry Pat. No one is supposed to know.”

“We can’t tell John until after the show, okay? Just keep this secret for two days, please.” Garrett said.

Jared shook his head, “I think we can do that.”

“I can’t!” Kennedy said, “I’m freaking out!”

“Me too!” Pat said.

Maddie sighed, knowing Jared would be the only level-headed one. “Please.”

Jared cleared his throat as John entered the room again, “Did you pick a song?” John asked as he sat.

The boys looked at each other before looking to Maddie and Garrett, pleading with them through their matching blue eyes.

Kennedy sighed, “Yeah, we did. Everything is going to be great,” he said, lying to John and trying to convince himself and the rest of the people around him that the words he spoke were true.
♠ ♠ ♠
DRAMAAA.
I'm pretty stoked for the next few chapters, but there might be some broken hearts!
Tell me how you guys are feeeling!
Is John going to freak out, or be cool with it? We shall see (: