Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

you were wrong

Maddie turned her head to the right and then to the left, seeing no one around her. She looked behind her and saw a steady line of people, all breathing heavy like she was. Girls soccer tryouts consisted of a timed two mile run around the perimeter of the school, and Maddie was leading the pack.

After the run, the girls were separated into groups of six, playing games of three v. three and doing touches.

Tryouts were supposed to be a closed event, but Kennedy had played varsity soccer under Coach Martin, and the rest of the boys had had him as a math teacher at some point in high school, and he loved them all. So as Maddie would take her turn to shoot or to head the ball, or do anything remotely active she would hear the screams from the boys from the bleachers on the other side of the gate.

It got annoying after a while to the other girls, but not to Maddie. She stopped blushing after the first twenty minutes, and now it was almost a part of the background noise.

After four hours of strenuous workout it was time for the team to be announced. Maddie waited anxiously for her name to be called on the varsity line-up. Coach went in no particular order, but Maddie’s name was called last. The boys on the side erupted in crazy cheers, and Maddie couldn’t help but smile. As she joined the rest of her team she looked at the boys for the first time all day. She knew John wouldn’t be there, but she had still hoped.

Before the coach handed out practice schedules he addressed his team, “All right, as you guys know, we lost the state game last year in the final minute. That wound has healed now, but this year I will not accept failure,” he said strictly.

Maddie looked at her new team, seeing the motivation and determinedness in their eyes made her excited.

“This year, I have picked tow girls that I think will lead our team to this victory. So, your captains are, Caroline Berkeley and Madeline Riggs.”

Another round of screams from the boys on the sideline exploded. Maddie shook the coach’s hand before he dismissed the team. Maddie walked to her bag, replacing her cleats with slides and pulling a hoodie over her head.

It felt good to play again. Maddie only knew about six out of the forty girls trying out, and only maybe three of them liked her. Her fellow seniors on the team were either jealous of her that she could make captain after a year absence, or still resented her for being the only freshmen on varsity three years ago.

“Madeline?” Maddie turned her head to the small voice addressing her. She was small and skinny, with natural blond hair. Her pale skin was contrasted by her brown eyes, and her friendly smile was accented with dimples.

She stood up, “You can call me Maddie, what’s your name?”

“I’m Caroline, your co-captain.”

“Oh, okay cool. Are you a senior?” Maddie asked.

“Yes. I’ve played varsity for this school for two years, and at my old school I made varsity my freshman year,” she said.

“Me too! I was in England last year, though,” she said.

“I’ve heard. A lot of the girls are not your biggest fan,” Caroline laughed.

“Well once we win state this year I’m sure they’ll come around,” Maddie smiled.

“Amen,” she agreed.

Maddie felt a pair of arms wrap tightly around her while Garrett kissed her cheek. The rest of the boys crowded around her and Caroline.

“Congratulations, Madds!” Jared said.

“Thank you for coming you guys, it means a lot. This is Caroline,” she pointed to the girl in front of her. “Carolina this is Kennedy, Jared, and Pat, my best friends, and Garrett, my boyfriend,”

“You might recognize us as the new members of Fearless Records,” Garrett said coolly.

Caroline laughed nervously, “Sorry, I don’t.”

“Well, Caroline, you will just have to come to our next show,” Kennedy said from next to her.

“Absolutely,” she smiled. Maddie studied the brown haired boy and the blond girl, deciding they would be a cute couple.

“Well, we were going to take Maddie out for some lunch, would you like to join us Caroline?” Pat asked.

“Um, if you don’t mind,” she said shyly.

“Of course we don’t! In fact I insist it, so that I’m not the only one that stinks,” Maddie said.

“Oh, I can back you up on that, then,” she laughed.

As the group began walking to their cars Jared turned to Maddie. “I’m texting John right now; do you want me to invite him?”

Maddie shrugged, “I don’t care, he won’t come anyways.”

“Who is John?” Caroline asked.

Maddie pursed her lips and looked at the guys, looking for a way to explain it, but they all had the same look on her face as she did. “John is their best friend.”

Caroline nodded her head in understanding. The group got to their cars and drove to a café down the street. When they walked in they found John and Courtney at a booth, waiting.

“Is that John?” Caroline asked Kennedy.

“It sure is,” he said.

“Who is the girl with him?”

“His girlfriend, Courtney,” he rolled his eyes.

“Do we like her?” she asked.

Kennedy chuckled, “Ah Caroline, there’s a lot you need to learn.”

Maddie led Garrett by the hand to the booth next to John and Courtney’s. Pat and Jared joined John, and Kennedy and Caroline sat with Maddie and Garrett. The group ordered immediately.

“Why don’t you tell John that you made the team?” Garrett whispered to Maddie.

She rolled her eyes, hating that her and John’s relationship was being treated like that of two five year olds that were both too stubborn.

“Hey John,” Maddie called, causing John to turn around and look at her. “I made captain.”

John saw that Maddie was actually making an effort so he figured he should too. But his weak smile was so pitiful all of his friends saw through it, “Congratulations, Maddie.”

She closed her lips in a tight, straight line, careful not to call him out. The friends sat in silence before Caroline turned her head to look at John, “Hi, I’m Caroline.”

He smiled apologetically, feeling sorry that she had to witness this awkward encounter, “I’m John, this is Courtney.”

“Hi,” Courtney said shortly, taking a sip of her water.

John took the attention off of his rude girlfriend and looked at Caroline, “So you’re on the team, too?”

“Co-captain” she smiled. “Did you guys ever play soccer?”

“All of us are just kind of good at everything,” Garrett said.

Kennedy rolled his eyes, “I played in high school.”

“Awesome,” Caroline said as the waitress dropped off their food.

The group chatted and laughed as they ate, most of the conversation revolving around the girls’ season.

Maddie drove herself home and when she entered her house she was met by her parents smiling big in the entryway.

“What’s going on?” Maddie laughed.

Her dad moved his hands from behind his back, revealing a large, white envelope. The Harvard emblem adorned the top left corner.

Maddie took a deep breath and took the envelope slowly. She knew this had the potential of changing her whole life. If she was accepted, she would be moving to Cambridge, Massachusetts to live out her dream. After a quick prayer she tore it open, taking out the first piece of paper.

She read it quickly and looked back up at her parents, letting the letter flutter to the ground.

*

Maddie walked up his steps in a rush, reaching the door and not bothering to knock. He was lying on his couch shirtless watching the Arizona State basketball game.

“Maddie, what’s wrong?” he asked, alarmed, as he stood up.

She pressed the letter to his chest. He looked at it, confused, before he took it and read it.

“Oh my gosh, Maddie, you got into Harvard,” he said quietly, a smile on his lips.

“Yeah, I know,” she said frustrated, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I take it you’re not happy about this?” he asked.

“Why did you make me apply!? I’m happy where I am right now, John. I don’t want to go,” she said.

“Maddie, you don’t have to go,” he said cautiously.

“Of course I have to go, it’s Harvard!” she threw her hands in the air as she plopped down on the couch.

“Why are you freaking out right now? I don’t get it,” he asked, sitting next to her. She looked up at him and suddenly he got it. “Is this because of Garrett?”

“I mean, I’ll have to leave in August. That’s eight months of dating backed up by eight years of friendship. I don’t want to just give that up,” she said.

“I don’t think I’m in the right position to give you advice on this,” he told her honestly.

“Tell me that you want me to go, John. I need to hear that I shouldn’t give up my dream for a boy. I need you to knock some sense into me.”

John stayed silent, long enough for Maddie to meet his eyes, “I can’t tell you that I want you to go, Maddie, because I don’t.”

“Why not?” she asked.

“Because I’ll miss the hell out of you.”

Maddie stared in his eyes, “No, you won’t.”

John contemplated his next move for only a second. He put his hand on Maddie’s and put his forehead against hers, staring down, “What can I do to prove it to you?”

Maddie stared down at their intertwined hands. She took in a deep breath, John’s close proximity making her nervous. She took her hand out of his grasp and hesitantly moved it to his chest. She pushed him away slowly and stood up, “I think I’m going to go to Harvard.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an update for my best friend because I miss her so stinkin much! & I wanted to update quick because it took me forever last time.
Love you guys! How ya feeling 'bout this!?