Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

clumsy little heart

Maddie was never a big fan of Valentine’s Day. It was really just a pointless celebration designed for only some people. In reality, Saint Valentine was beheaded on February fourteenth by the Roman Emperor. It wasn’t a joyful tradition, or even a necessary one.

Valentine’s Day is great for couples in love and wanting to show the whole world, but what about the rest of the population that was single? Someone had told Maddie Valentine’s Day should be renamed Lonely Awareness Day, and most of her mind and heart agreed.

Why do people need a special day to show their love? Couples should do that every day.

But Maddie supposed she was just cynical. She had had valentines every year since she was thirteen, but never a boyfriend on the date.

This year was different, though. Garrett Nickelsen was Maddie Riggs’s valentine, and her boyfriend. Their one month anniversary fell three days before the holiday, and Garrett had big plans.

“Garrett, we don’t have to do anything,” Maddie said, trying not to complain too much.

“Can you see through that blindfold?” he asked from the driver’s seat.

Maddie sighed and crossed her arms over her chest, “No.”

“Good,” Maddie could hear the smile in Garrett’s voice.

The car pulled to a stop and Garrett scurried to open Maddie’s door and led her out.

“It’s a little bit cold, out here, sweets,” Maddie said, rubbing her palms over her arms.

“Here,” Garrett placed his jacket over her shoulders, “Ready?” he asked.

Maddie reluctantly nodded her head and Garrett removed the blindfold. She surveyed her surroundings. They were in the mountains, snow capping the highest peaks. She looked to her right, seeing a fire burning and a tent already set up.

“We’re going camping?” she asked with a light laugh.

“Yes! We are going to prove to the world that we are the most self-sufficient couple,” he said, adding wood to the fire.

“I think Adam and Eve already have that on lock, but we can be a close second.”

Garrett laughed, “For dinner we have PB&J sandwiches, made by yours truly.”

“How gourmet,” Maddie said as she sat on a log near the fire.

The two ate their meal, drinking it down with hot chocolate being kept warm in thermoses.

As the night sky fell into dark, Maddie fell into Garrett for warmth. The couple sat silently as they watched the embers float into the air, disappearing almost as soon as they were released.

Suddenly, Garrett pulled away, reaching into his back pocket. He pulled out a large, rectangular box and Maddie’s eyes grew wide.

“Garrett, I will be so mad if there is anything expensive in that box,” she told him defiantly.

He smiled, “Please take it.”

She sighed, not being able to resist his simple plea. She opened the box, a smile falling onto her lips as she stared at the silver necklace. A small heart adorned the chain. It wasn’t too flashy, and Maddie was thankful.

“Are you ready for some really cliché, cheesy, romantic stuff?” Garrett asked.

“Lay it on me, baby,” Maddie said, still looking at the shining jewelry.

“I got this for you yesterday, after I saw your acceptance letter to Harvard on your dresser,” he said.

“Oh, Gar, I was going to tell you,” she said, immediately regretting her decision to wait until the right time.

He smiled, placing a hand on her cheek, “Please take my heart to Massachusetts.”

Maddie cupped her hand around his that was resting on her cheek, “You want to stay together when I go to college?”

“I just got you, Madds. I’m not letting go until you do,” he said sweetly.

“You’re the one that is going to meet hundreds of new people every night. You might change your mind,” Maddie said quietly.

“I can almost guarantee that won’t happen.”

Maddie lifted the necklace from the box, “Will you put it on for me?”

Garrett took it from her hands, “Only if you promise to never break it.”

Maddie smiled, “I’ll never break your heart, Garrett.”

**

John stared at the girl in front of him, her all pink outfit completely over-doing the idea that love is represented by such a fruity color.

“John, I wish you liked Valentine’s Day more,” she pouted.

“It’s so stupid, though, Court. I mean, I just don’t understand the point.”

She rolled her eyes, “Your cheap butt just didn’t want to get me a gift.”

“Why am I obligated to give you a present on a certain day? I can give you something any day,” he said as he took a bite out of his Subway sandwich.

“But you don’t,” Courtney muttered.

John sighed, feeling guilty. He figured he should probably order flowers for his girlfriend and made a mental note. “We’re still doing the movie night at your house, right? I promise we’ll have fun.”

“Okay, babe,” she smiled, kissing his cheek. “Is the band coming?”

“Yep,” he said, “Maddie and Caroline too.”

Courtney rolled her eyes, “Awesome.”

“Please be nice,” he said.

“I don’t think you get how hard it is, John. I know they all hate me. I’m doing it one step at a time, and I’m starting with the guys, because I know you care about them more,” she said.

John hunched his shoulders, confused. He had never heard Courtney sound so sincere, and he wasn’t sure if he should believe her.

“The guys are the ones you care about most, right?” Courtney asked.

John pursed his lips, thinking, “Right,” he lied.

*
Maddie placed her hand to the steering wheel, honking the horn. Caroline came scurrying out of her house. She smiled as the climbed into the car.

“Hi!” she said, “Thanks for picking me up.”

“No problem! How has your Valentine’s day been?” Maddie asked.

“Pretty uneventful. I hung out with my little brother, because I’m that lame,” she laughed, “How about you?”

“Mine has been great. Garrett and I got back from camping early this morning. He gave me this necklace, too,” she smiled, stretching her neck so Caroline could see it.

“How cute! You guys are adorable,” she said. “Is Kennedy coming tonight?”

“He sure is,” Maddie smiled, “Are you happy about that?” She shrugged and Maddie could see the light blush on her skin, “Awe, yay!”

“Maddie, did you and Kennedy use to have a thing?” she asked cautiously.

“We used to, but that’s in the past. So get it girl,” Maddie encouraged.

“He has a daughter, though, right?”

“Yes. Is that too weird for you?” Maddie asked.

Caroline shrugged, “I could probably deal.”

“Good,” Maddie said as she put the car in park. “Now, let us go suffer Courtney together.”

The two walked into the house where the whole group was already gathered. “Caroline!” Pat shouted as he got up to hug her. “This is my girlfriend, Lacy,” he said, introducing her to the petite brunette.

“Hey, Lacy, nice to meet you,” Caroline said as she sat down next to Kennedy.

“Lace, where have you been? You never hang out with us,” Garrett pouted.

“I’m sorry! I’ve been out of town. But I’ll be around more, I promise,” she said, smiling as Pat wrapped his arm over her shoulder.

“Hey guys,” John said, walking with Courtney from her kitchen, holding a bowl of popcorn.

“John Oh,” Jared said, “Let’s get this movie started!”

As Courtney started the movie John leaned over to Maddie, handing her a neatly folded piece of paper, “For you,” he said.

Maddie smiled lightly, tucking the letter into her pocket. Garrett wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her against his body. She smiled, trying to forget the letter that was burning a hole in her pocket.

Dear Maddie,

It’s 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, February fourteenth, Happy Valentine’s Day. I literally cannot stand this “holiday”, but you knew that.

I overheard Garrett’s plan to take you camping tonight. I’m sure you’ll have fun.

I… feel awkward. Writing my feelings down should be easy, I write songs for God’s sake. But this is just so hard. I don’t know what to say about you and Garrett. I’m glad you found someone; I just didn’t expect it to be one of my best friends.

I know these letters are supposed to be the most honest part of our friendship, so instead of lying I’ll just keep my mouth shut.

Memory time.

When you were sixteen years old, I took you to your first real party. It was Valentine’s Day, and I was your valentine. You had hoped Kennedy would ask you, but he was so completely oblivious, so I gladly took his place.

You got really drunk. I mean, you barely drank at all, but you still got totally plastered. You’re a pretty classy drunk. Quiet, pretty funny. Carly was there, too. She was so pissed off that I had let you drink. She smacked me so hard I fell over. She was a good older sister.

Maddie, this is the first Valentine’s Day in five years that I wasn’t your valentine.

Write me soon. You’ve been lagging lately. I miss you, kid. Have fun tonight.

Happy one month with Garrett.

-John
♠ ♠ ♠
Ketely made me stay up really late to write this chapter and as a result I overslept and missed my first period class, hahaha so you're welcome! Sorry this is such a filler, guys!
How's everyone feelin'? Isn't Garrett just the cutest thing!?