Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

need to love

Maddie sat on the green grass outside the Nickelsen home. A pout was on her lips as she plucked blades of grass and threw them in front of her.

She had been sitting at Garrett’s house for an hour. First, she had knocked on his door, resulting in no answer.

She even tried the classic throwing a rock at his bedroom window, and after ten minutes of that she decided to just wait.

But it was starting to get dark and chilly, so she chose to leave.

The next morning she drove into her parking spot at school, sighing when she looked at the space between her car and Pat’s.

Maddie walked into her first period class, collapsing into her seat next to Pat, “Pat, where is Garrett?”

Pat looked at her blankly, “I dunno,” he shrugged.

“Patrick,” Maddie said, narrowing her eyes.

“Don’t intimidate me, Madeline. I’m not telling you!” he said determinedly.

“Fine,” she said sitting back in her chair. “I just won’t talk to you again.”

Pat snapped his head towards her, “No offense, but I’m a lot more scared of Garrett then I am of you.”

“Ugh, when will I find out?” she asked.

Pat looked at the clock and smiled, before the principle’s assistant’s voice came over the speaker.

“Madeline Riggs, please come to Principle Daniels’ office.”

Low mumbles could be heard around the room as Maddie looked confusedly at Pat. Her teacher hushed the class, “You idiots really think your valedictorian is in trouble? Get out your work.”

Maddie smiled weakly at the teacher before exiting. She got to the office quickly and signed her name before taking a seat outside the door.

She tapped her foot on the ground, waiting for the principle to call her in. The door finally opened and Maddie watched Garrett Nickelsen out. He winked at her while the principle wrote him a pass.

“What the hell, Garrett?” she whispered.

“Don’t worry,” he said, “I’ve got it under control.”

“Ah, Miss Riggs, I’m sorry to call you out of class but I regret to inform you that your friend here crashed into your car this morning.” Principle Daniels stated.

“What!?” she shouted, standing up. Maddie punched Garrett in the arm, using all her strength.

“The school will take care of the damage, it’s seemingly minor, so talk to your parents tonight and get back to me.”

“Thanks,” she said. Once she and Garrett were back in the hallway she stepped in front of him, putting her hand on his chest, “Explain.”

“I didn’t actually hit your car. I told Daniels I was responsible for the big dent in the bumper you got when you hit that mailbox,” he told her.

“Why would you do that?” she asked.

“I needed to see you! You weren’t accepting my calls,” he told her.

“Are you kidding? I sat outside your house for an hour yesterday!” she said.

“If you had answered my calls you would have known I was at my grandma’s house. You know she makes us turn off our phones when we go over, she thinks they’re the devil’s communication device.” Garrett said.

Maddie hung her head, taking a step towards Garrett. He hesitantly took her hand and she met his eyes, “Your grandma is insane.”

He chuckled, “Maddie, I am so sorry. Everything you said about my drinking was exactly right and I promise I’ll do better. I swear.”

“Why did you do it?” she asked.

“I was just so drunk and I wasn’t in the right state of mind. Honestly, I’m completely repulsed by myself,” he said sadly.

“I am too,” she said, “But why do I still want to make this work?”

He put his forehead against hers, “Because you have the best heart of anyone I know?”

Maddie took a deep breath and pulled away, “Garrett, I still want this, but don’t make me look like an idiot, okay? I’m taking you back but don’t let me regret it.”

“Never, ever,” Garrett promised.

Maddie kissed his lips softly, “I missed you.”

“You have no idea,” he smiled.

*

Maddie let out a laugh as John dragged his feet while he climbed out of her pool.

“You are the biggest jerk in the world, Madeline Riggs,” he frowned as he stood in front of her. He twisted his shirt in his hands, ringing out the water.

“Don’t ever doubt my karate skills again, O’Callaghan,” she said.

“I thought you were joking!” he whined.

“A black belt never jokes,” she lied. Maddie had never taken a karate class in her life; she just landed a lucky foot into John’s chest, causing him to fall into the freezing water. John’s lip began to quiver, “A little bit cold, are we John?”

“Nope, I’m just peachy.”

Maddie heard the back door open. “Madeline did you push this poor boy in the pool?” her mom asked, wrapping a towel around John.

“Yes, she did, Mrs. R. She’s being so mean to me, when all I was trying to do was give her a hug,” John said with his bottom lip jutted out.

“Oh, you go take a nice hot shower upstairs, sweetie. Maddie, you put his clothes in the dryer.” Her mom directed.

Maddie rolled her eyes as John walked upstairs to her room. Once the door was closed he smiled at her, “Your mommy loves me.”

“Just get in the shower,” she said. John laughed as he went into the bathroom. Maddie heard the water turn on and immediately saw steam rise through the crack in the door.

She lightly knocked, “John? Are you in?”

“Yes ma’am,” he sang. She pushed open the door and gathered up his wet clothes. Before she exited he spoke, “So you and Garrett are good again, right?”

“We have been for the past week, John,” she told him for the fifth time.

“Right. Well Courtney is having a party tonight and I want you to come,” he said.

“And why is that?” Maddie asked, sitting on the edge of the counter.

“Because you’re my best friend, silly,” John said.

“I don’t know if I’m in the mood to watch drunken people,” Maddie said.

“Well then we won’t go. We can have a movie night,” he said.

“You should probably go to your girlfriend’s party,” she rolled her eyes, “And I should probably go with my boyfriend.”

“It’ll be fun,” John said as he poked his head out of the shower, revealing his shampoo Mohawk, and wiggling his eyebrows.

“If you say so, ugly,” she laughed.

John narrowed his eyes before snapping the curtain shut. In a matter of seconds she felt small droplets of water hit her, “You’re so mean to me now.”

Maddie laughed, “You’re right, I’m sorry.”

“No!” John shouted, as he turned off the water. He reached for a towel and wrapped it around his waist and pulled back the curtain. He noticed Maddie’s body tense up and he smiled, knowing full well he was just toying with her. “I like when you’re mean, it reminds me of before everything weird happened.”

“I wasn’t that mean to you, was I?” she asked.

“I could take it,” he winked.

Maddie stared at him for a few seconds, feeling completely mesmerized, a feeling she had almost forgotten. She cleared her throat and stood up, “I should go dry these.”

*
John peered over the heads of the people inside Courtney’s house. He found Kennedy and walked to him, and smiled when he saw him with Caroline.

“Hello you two,” he said, sitting next to them.

“Hi John,” Caroline greeted, “How are you?”

“I’m great! It seems like you two are, also,” John nudged Kennedy’s side.

Kennedy rolled his eyes, “Don’t you have other friends you could be harassing?”

“Hey, I don’t mind John!” Caroline defended.

John smiled at the girl as he stood, “I appreciate that, Caroline, but I don’t think Kennedy likes me being around while he attempts to flirt with you.”

Caroline blushed as she looked away from the boys. Kennedy punched John’s arm, causing him to emit a groan. “On that note, I’ll go find a group who values me.”

“Bye, John,” Caroline smiled. John walked away as he thought of Caroline and Kennedy. He liked her, she had a nice smile and she was kind of adorable. She was perfect for Kennedy, and he deserved a good girl.

“John Oh!” he heard from behind him. He turned to see Garrett, hand in hand with Maddie.

“Hey, guys, I’m glad you could make it,” he said.

Garrett looked at his girlfriend, “Maddie, would you like a soda?”

“Yes, please,” she said, “But I can get that myself.”

John and Garrett watched Maddie as she poured herself a drink, “John, I think I need to thank you.”

“Why?” he questioned.

“Well, I know you kind of held Maddie together when I screwed up, and that was pretty cool of you, so thanks,” Garrett said.

“I didn’t kind of hold her together, Garrett. I completely held her together. You picked a hell of a time to mess up,” John replied.

Garrett sighed, “I’m kind of the luckiest guy in the world, huh?” Garrett smiled as Maddie joined them again.

John kept his lips tight, using everything he had not to tell Garrett he wasn’t just kind of the luckiest guy in the world.

“Babe, Pat is looking for you. Something about a new level on whatever game you always play,” Maddie told him.

Garrett smiled, “One of these days you’ll understand that part of my life. I’ll be right back,” he said, kissing her forehead before walking away.

“Shall we sit?” John asked, pointing to the sofa behind them.

The two sat close, cushioning in because the couch was already occupied by a few others. They sat silently until Maddie rested her head on John’s shoulder.

“Tired?” he asked. She nodded her head and John chuckled, “You are quite the party animal, Madeline.”

“Woooo,” she said with her eyes still closed.

Suddenly John shifted uncomfortably and she lifted her head, “What is it?”

He cleared his throat, “Nothing,” he lied.

“John, tell me,” Maddie said.

He sighed in defeat, “The girl that Garrett kissed… she’s here.”

Maddie looked around them and John pointed at the girl who was talking with her friends. Maddie sighed, “She’s really pretty.”

John looked at Maddie as she studied the girl sadly. He lifted her chin in his fingertips and turned her head to look at him. “She’s not that pretty.”

“I don’t appreciate my best friend lying to me,” she told him, looking down.

“She’s pretty, but I swear she’s not as beautiful as you.”

“You promise?” she asked, meeting his eyes.

“Baby, I swear.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for keriberry234 because it's her birrrfday!
I hope this wasn't too boring; kind of a necessary filler.
Thanks for reading!
Comments are always appreciated (: