Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

wrong way to hide

John laughed as he watched Maddie’s brown hair become dusted with white feathers fluttering from the pillow he had hit her with. She groaned loudly as she pulled her comforter over her head.

“Maddie wake up,” John whined, “It’s Sunday!”

Maddie threw the covers off of her and sat up angrily, “Yeah, also known as the day of rest. Leave me alone!”

“But its Sunday,” John pouted, “We need to go get breakfast.”

Maddie smiled weakly, not being able to resist the look John was giving her, “Fine, let’s go. I’m not looking cute, though,” she warned as she climbed out of bed.

“Does it make a difference if I tell you that you always look beautiful?” John cooed.

Maddie rolled her eyes as she pushed him out of her room so she could change, “You suck, O’Callaghan.”

“Love you too,” John said before Maddie shut the door in his face.

John smiled as he rested his back against Maddie’s closed door. He saw that the bedroom door across the hall was open, and he slowly took a step in.

John looked around curiously at Emma’s nursery, a room that still held memories of Carly. Her things were still intact, even though it had been over a year. Everything was just pushed to one side of the room, leaving ample room for Emma.

John walked to Carly’s desk, holding in his hands a stuffed animal that Carly had had for as long as he’d known her. He held it close to him and inhaled, disappointed when he couldn’t smell Carly’s perfume.

Maddie cleared her throat and John looked up to see her standing in the doorway, “Oh, sorry,” he mumbled.

She smiled and walked to the opposite side of the room, her hands on her hips as she surveyed her sister’s belongings, “Someday we’ll clean this out.”

“I could help you,” John said quietly.

“I think that’s something I should do with my mom, but thanks,” Maddie said.

John sighed as he stood at her side. He put his arm around her, placing his hand on her cheek and pushing her head against his shoulder, “Let’s go eat, baby.”

John drove him and Maddie to IHOP, taking a seat at their usual table. John ordered for him and for Maddie, having memorized her favorite years ago.

“So, how is Courtney?” she asked.

“She’s all right, I guess. She’s actually getting a lot less annoying,” John said.

“Well, it only took eighteen years,” Maddie laughed.

“Be nice,” John said. “How are you and Garrett?”

“We’re great,” Maddie smiled.

“So you’ve fully recovered from his… mistake?” John asked.

Maddie took a sip of her hot chocolate, “Yep.”

“Liar,” John said, shaking his head.

“I mean, it’s kind of hard to just get over it in one second, but I’m getting there. I know you think I’m an idiot for even liking Garrett, but I definitely do, and I know what I am doing,” Maddie said.

John raised his hands, showing he wasn’t challenging her, “Hey, I’m happy for you. If you think Garrett is what will make you happy, then right on.”

Maddie rolled her eyes, “One month ago, that backhanded form of support would have pissed me off, but now, I just know that you’re really stupid.”

John laughed, “Well, I’m glad then. This is like the longest we’ve gone without fighting since you came back.”

“You probably just jinxed us, way to go,” Maddie said as the waiter set her food down in front of her. She immediately dug into her pancakes and John watched her in amazement.

“How can someone your size fit all of that food into that body?” John asked.

“You know how I get during soccer season, I need carbs!” she said through bites.

“Well you better get used to eating like crap because we go on tour in two weeks,” John said, taking a bite of his own French toast.

Maddie dropped her fork, “Pardon me? Do you actually think I’m riding in a cramped van with you guys? You’re delusional.”

“Uh, yeah, baby, you’re coming. We need a merch girl!” John told her.

“Whatever happened to the idea of a merch guy ? I have school.” Maddie said.

“It’s over spring break, but nice try. It’s a quick week just around the west coast. You’ll be fine,” John said.

“Were you guys going to tell me about this or just kidnap me?”

John shrugged, “Looks like we’re going to have to kidnap you either way, so whatever.”

Maddie rolled her eyes, “On a different note, why haven’t I been getting any best friend letters lately?”

John pursed his lips, “Hmm, I guess I just suck. My bad.”

Maddie shook her head as she continued eating. John watched her as he brought his napkin to his mouth, wiping it clean. He reached into his pocket, taking out a pen. He took one of the extra napkins the server had brought and began writing.

John would scold Maddie when she tried to see what he was writing and when he was done he stuffed it into his pocket.

John paid for the meal and the two made their way back to Maddie’s.

“Well, thank you for breakfast,” Maddie said as she climbed out of John’s car.

“My pleasure,” he said as he met her on the driver’s side. John hugged her tightly and held on for probably too long, but since Maddie didn’t protest he decided it was okay.

Maddie entered her house and took off her jacket. As she hung it in the hall closet she noticed a white fabric poking out of the side pocket. She pulled out the napkin from IHOP, realizing John had snuck it in when he hugged her.

Dearest Maddie,

Please forgive me for my lack of letters lately, I suck, I know. I don’t really know what to say, so I figured I’d just flatter you.

Maddie, the first thing that I like about you is your hair. It always looks so perfect, even now, after you just rolled out of bed and barely pulled a comb through it.

Second, how could I not talk about those eyes? You’re one of those perfect people with brown hair and blue eyes, and you know that everyone is envious. You are just, like, destined to be beautiful and it’s not even fair. (Don’t worry about saying how beautiful I am, I already know.)

Third, I love your smile. Your perfect, white teeth only highlight the dimples you get even when you’re giving the weakest of smiles. Even when I’m in the worst mood, just one flash of that grin automatically makes my day better.

Fourth and finally, I love your humungous heart. I mean, seriously, it’s gigantic. I don’t know anyone who has been through as much as you have, and can still smile. I look up to you in so many ways and you won’t ever really understand to what extent.

Well, you better be smiling right at this moment or else I’ll be pissed. I’m sorry I’m not there to see it, but I know if I was you’d be too embarrassed and your cheeks would turn red. You would bite your lip and stare at your feet.

Wow, I know you too well. Write me back, baby.

-John


Maddie shook her head as she let the blush fall from her cheeks. She couldn’t help but question her friendship with John wouldn’t be okay with Garrett. If he read this letter, would he still support them being best friends? Maddie honestly didn’t know, but she had a pretty good idea.

As if on cue, Maddie’s phone rang. “Hello?” she said.

“Hello, darling,” Garrett said, “Pat convinced me to hold a beer pong tournament at my house tonight. I will not be drinking but all of the guys are coming over, so I want you to come and hang out with me.”

“Garrett, you know how awesome I am at beer pong. I’m so there,” Maddie smiled.

“Good! Come over right now so we can have some alone time,” Garrett said, being obviously suggestive.

Maddie rolled her eyes, “Shut up, Garrett. I’ll see you later.”

Around 8:00 p.m. Maddie drove to Garrett’s. Her parents were still out of town and Garrett’s parents would be at an event until the early hours of the morning. There was no school on Monday for staff development, giving Maddie no real excuse to not play in the tournament with her friends.

She got there after everyone else had, and she wrinkled her nose in aversion as she saw Courtney’s car in front of the house.

When she entered she was met with the cheers of her friends. “Geez, finally. Let’s get started,” Jared said as they all stood to make their way to Garrett’s garage. “Maddie, this is Sydney, my… friend,” Jared smiled as he introduced the two.

Maddie winked at Jared and smiled as she shook Sydney’s hand. She was petite and brunette, and fit kind of perfectly under Jared’s arm.

“How are we doing teams?” Maddie asked.

“Well, everyone here is a couple, so let’s just split up like that,” Pat said as he stood with Lacey.

“Okay, Garrett, you pick who you guys want to play,” Kennedy directed.

Garrett looked at Maddie and she smiled, “Um, we would like to completely dominate John and Courtney first, please.”

John grinned as he pulled Courtney to the opposite side of the table, away from Maddie and Garrett, “It’s on, Riggs.”

“John, I can’t drink tonight, baby, I’m driving,” Courtney told him.

“That’s all right, I got this,” John said confidently.

Garrett looked at Maddie, “I’m not going to drink either, Madds. Can you handle it?”

“I don’t plan on losing, so we’re fine,” Maddie said, kissing his cheek.

After only a few minutes of playing back and forth, Garrett and Courtney really weren’t even a part of their respective teams. Maddie and John became so competitive the room was completely silent, watching as if it was in slow motion as Maddie sunk John’s remaining cup.

Everyone cheered for her as she grinned. She walked to John and he put out his hand for her to shake. She grinned as she gripped his hand hard, causing the almost drunk boy to pull away.

“Good game, bud,” Maddie said.

“Yeah, whatever,” John mumbled.

Maddie walked to Garrett, cuddling with him on the bean bag chair. She was only a little bit tipsy but she held a beer in her hand. This was the first time she had drunk since the night of her eighteenth birthday.

“You okay, babe?” Garrett asked, lightly rubbing his hand down her back.

She looked up from the bottle she had been studying, “Yeah, I’m great. How are you?”

“I feel fantastic, actually. It’s hard not to drink with all of you guys, but it’s pretty fun seeing everyone else act idiotic,” Garrett said.

“I should film you when you’re drunk then, because you’re the worst one here, no doubt,” Maddie laughed.

Garrett smiled as he studied their intertwined hands, “Hopefully you won’t have to see that again,” he said, kissing the top of her hand.

About three hours later is when Maddie realized she was drunk. She was sitting in between John and Caroline, as the entire group sang along to an old song that had come on over the radio. Everyone except Kennedy, Courtney, and Garrett were intoxicated, and everyone except Garrett was having fun.

Maddie marked that Courtney was actually being kind of tolerable. Maybe she had finally realized that people don’t like self- serving whores… or maybe she just realized no one liked her. Either way, it made things a lot easier.

Kennedy laughed along with Caroline as she spoke nonsense. He didn’t drink because he had more responsibility than everyone else, but he didn’t mind his date needing a shoulder to lean on as she became drowsy.

But Garrett was the party-pooper. Maddie had tried getting him involved and tried to stay by his side, but his mood was such a downer it made her irritated. He sat away from the group, smiling absent-mindedly at the group’s antics.

Around midnight, everyone had pretty much decided on a sleepover at Garrett’s, and all of the inebriated teens were slowly falling asleep around the living room.

Garrett brought out extra pillows and blankets as all of the couples snuggled close. Maddie heard John begin to snore next to her as she waited for Garrett to lay by her. He finally came, lying down and turning his back to her immediately.

“Hey,” she said, rubbing her hand on his shoulder, “What’s wrong?”

He sighed as he turned over to face her, “You’re really drunk.”

“So?” she said.

“Why are you drinking now? Why did you start right when I stopped? You were supposed to help make this easier,” Garrett said, disappointed.

“I don’t have a reason not to drink, Garrett, you do,” Maddie reminded him.

“Do you not remember what happened last time you drank?” he asked.

Maddie took a deep breath to calm her exasperation, “Garrett, you screwed up because you drank. I drank because I screwed up. There’s a big difference.”

Garrett sighed as he realized he was erroneous in his hasty accusations against his girlfriend. “I’m sorry. You’re right.”

“Duh,” Maddie laughed as she rolled to her other side, her back now facing Garrett. She reached behind her and found Garrett’s hand, draping it over her and snuggling in close to him.

In only a matter of minutes she heard Garrett begin to lightly snore. She also heard John move from next to her. She opened her eyes and met John’s, only about a foot away from hers.

He smiled widely, “Goodnight, baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm, things are getting a little complicated again!
How are you guys feelin?