Status: FIN (:

Weak, But Not Defeated

love stories never have endings

The room was blank. The lime green walls were clean, the bed folded up against the wall, all of her belongings in boxes. Her mom was creating an arts and crafts room the second she got on that plane, Maddie was sure.

It was hard to believe that in two days Maddie would be leaving this place behind. Tempe was her home, Arizona was her heart. But now she was moving on.

Maddie had not spoken John since her graduation. Neither one of them tried to call the other. She had been spending time with her parents, but tonight there was a party.

The Maine was leaving on a tour around the United States in their old, horrible van tomorrow. Maddie was leaving for Boston tomorrow. It was a final going away bash for all of them, a final goodbye.

“Maddie, we need to get the last box into storage before they close!” Maddie’s dad yelled from downstairs.

She sighed, her hands on her hips as she looked at her room. The pictures that had covered her walls were strewn on the floor. She didn’t want them to be put into storage; no, they were coming with her.

Maddie heard her door open, “Need help?”

She didn’t look at her dad and he followed her eyes to the small crate of folded up paper. There were different colors and some of them were so worn you couldn’t even read that it was Maddie’s name on the front.

“Are you going to keep them?” he asked.

“I’ll probably throw them away,” she whispered.

Her dad walked in front of her and picked up the crate, “Don’t do that. I promise you’ll regret it.” He held it out in front of her and she took it. “I’ll take all of the boxes down to the unit. You get ready for your party.”

She nodded her head, setting the crate on the floor and sitting next to it. She sat there picking up letters and reading through them for hours. There were ones that had no meaning at all, just a simple Love you best friend. But some had more meaning, the most important ones coming to her just this year.

Every letter John wrote her was a hint showing his love. Now, she was able to see that even when he claimed to hate her, he still loved her, even if it was that unconscious kind of love that he didn’t even know he was radiating.

Maddie didn’t realize how long she was sitting there, but she must have fallen asleep because she woke up to Eric throwing water on her face.

“What the heck?” she whined, sitting up.

“Girl, we have to go!” he shouted, “The party is in a half hour!”

“Shoot,” Maddie said, standing up, “Pick something for me to wear, I have to shower.”

She ran to her bathroom, turning on the water. She washed her hair in record time and when she was finished she blow dried it quickly and curled it loosely.

She walked into her bedroom and shook her head when she saw Eric’s choice. He looked at her with guilty eyes, “I didn’t get very far.”

The only thing he had taken out was a black lace bra. “Go away, Eric. I’ll be down in a second.”

She rummaged through her closet and found a black cocktail dress that she deemed perfect for tonight. She got dressed quickly and put on her makeup that made her blue eyes look bright as ever. She put on black pumps as she rushed down the stairs.

“How do I look? My mirror is in storage,” she asked Eric as she combed through her hair with her fingers.

He stared at her, his eyes tracing up and down her body multiple times, “John is so lucky.”

“I don’t belong to him. Haven’t you heard?” she mumbled as they walked to Eric’s car.

“I did hear that, I just refuse to believe it,” he said.

“You better get used to it pretty darn quick, then.”

“So what happens when you see him tonight?” he asked.

“I’m spending my last night with my friends, no drama,” Maddie said firmly.

“Yeah, okay,” he murmured.

When they arrived at Garrett’s house the party was already in full swing. Maddie immediately found Garrett, slipping under his arm as he spoke to one of his friends.

“Hey,” he smiled, hugging her. “You look hot.”

“As do you,” she said, “Is Amy here?”

“Not yet,” he said, looking thoroughly disappointed, “But hey, I talked to her about you and I, and she was totally cool with it! So I can still hold your hand at the mall and stuff!”

“I doubt she’s okay with that,” Maddie laughed.

“Maybe not, but you’re leaving anyways so whatever,” he said, smiling.

They sat down on a near couch, “Don’t remind me.”

“Nervous?” he asked.

“Completely, I’m going to miss you guys so much,” she frowned.

“We’ll miss you too, boo. But you’ll be okay, and if not I will fly out to you on our first day off,” he said.

“You’d do that?” Maddie asked.

“For you? Yes,” he replied.

“Is John here?” she asked, looking around, feigning her disinterest.

“Yeah, he helped me set up. He’s around here somewhere,” Garrett said, craning his neck to look.

But Maddie saw him first. His hands were in his jean pockets as he laughed with Tim Kirch. There were a lot of people here, in fact, too many. It wasn’t the intimate setting any of them had hoped for.

As if John could feel her eyes on him he turned his head and caught them. The smile from whatever Tim was saying was still on his face but when he met her straight face it fell slightly. His body moved forward and when she realized this she turned back to Garrett, emphatically striking up conversation.

John stopped and suddenly felt extremely alone in a room full of people. The girl he loved was avoiding him, and he wasn’t sure why he was scared to talk to her as well.

He wanted her to leave, he wanted her to forget. She needed Boston. Maddie was strong now, stronger than she had ever been. If she tried to go to college in a relationship she wouldn’t make it. Hell, he wouldn’t make it on tour.

John and Maddie had grown so significantly in just the last few months that he wasn’t sure that he could stay away from her for months at a time. They would never be home at the same time. Nothing was right.

“John oh!” Kennedy approached him smiling.

John nodded his head at him, still looking at Maddie. Kennedy followed his gaze and sighed, stepping in front of John, “You are a total idiot.”

“Why?”

Kennedy pulled John by his sleeve out into Garrett’s backyard so he could talk to him, rather than competing with the loud music.

“You know she leaves tomorrow, right?” Kennedy asked.

“I am aware,” John replied.

Kennedy stared at him, his mouth agape, “So what do you plan to do about that?”

“What am I supposed to do?” John asked dumbly.

“I don’t know, maybe start speaking to her?”

“She could make an effort,” John said.

“You told her that you want to fool around on tour!” Kennedy said.

“I did it for her own good!” John shouted back, defending himself.

“I swear to God, O’Callaghan, if you screw this up I will beat you up. You two have put all of us through hell for a year now,” Kennedy said angrily.

John sighed, hating that Kennedy was right. He couldn’t let Maddie leave without a fight. Whether it would break his heart or not, he had to do it.

And as if on cue the back door opened and Maddie stepped out confidently. She smiled at Kennedy and he gave John one last pleading look before leaving them alone.

“We need to talk,” she said.

John held out his hand for her to take. She looked at it, contemplating if she should do it or not. But she finally did so and he led her to the trampoline in the corner of the yard. They sat on the edge of it uncomfortably, still holding hands.

“You leave tomorrow,” John said.

“So do you,” she said quietly.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

She looked at him, sighing in frustration and pulling her hand away from his, “Let’s get his over with, John.”

“Get what over with?” he asked.

“Our fight,” she said, standing up in front of him, “The fight we always have. We’ll say thing we don’t mean and we’ll get over it. It needs to be done.”

“Maddie, it’s not that easy,” he said. “Not this time.”

“Yes, it is. I leave early tomorrow, John, let’s go,” she said.

“I don’t want to fight with you, baby. Not now,” John spoke softly, trying to calm her but only making her angrier.

“You have to,” she said, her voice cracking, “I won’t leave until we do.”

“What do you want me to say?” he asked.

“I want you to tell me you love me, John! Say that you want to be my boyfriend when I leave tomorrow!” she shouted.

“I can’t do that,” he said, shaking his head and looking at his feet.

“Look at me, you coward. Tell me to my face that you don’t want to be with me,” Maddie ordered. Her finger was jamming in his face and she felt so strong. She wasn’t going to cry; she refused. She was positive John loved her; she just couldn’t understand why he was doing this.

“Maddie, everything is working against us!” John finally erupted as he stood to tower over her, “We’re barely able to be together before you and I both have to leave. It’s not fair! I can’t do this to you so continuously! You’re better off without me,” he said.

“Don’t you dare make this my fault. You know damn well that I am not better off, have you seen me in the last year? I was a wreck without you, John!”

“And where do you think you’ll be tomorrow at this time? Without me, again!” he shouted, “You just don’t get it, Maddie. You need to go to college and have that experience without your heart back here. As much as you want to tell yourself that you’re strong enough alone, you’re not. I’m not strong enough, Maddie.”

“I’m not strong?” Maddie asked, finding it almost comical, “I am not strong? I can do this without you John, but I don’t want to, and that’s what you’re not getting.”

“Fine, then I can’t do it. I’m too scared to let you go because I know the second that we both get too busy to call one night, or I don’t see you for months, I’ll break. I love you too much to call you mine while you’re in Boston. I owe it to the guys, Maddie, and right now all I can think about is quitting the band so I can be with you.”

She rolled her eyes, “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Exactly, Maddie, it is ridiculous. The fact that the thought is even going through my head is proof that we aren’t ready. I’m not ready,” he said, his voice cracking with every kind of emotion.

“Have you been thinking about this the whole time? Because if you make me regret sleeping with you, I swear to God I will cut off your balls,” she said firmly.

John broke into a smile but his lips went straight when he realized she wasn’t kidding, “I love you, Maddie. I want to stay where we’re at right now.”

“Fighting?”

“No. At this place that I have you. I know that you’re mine without this stupid label that just puts on so much pressure. In four years when you’re back from college, I will marry you. But right now, just do what you need to at Harvard, and I’ll do what I can on the road,” he said.

“So you want to wait four years before we call this more than it is? So in those four years I can date other guys, you can hook up with other girls, but yeah, we’ll still totally be the same people and come back to Arizona and start a life? Hell no,” Maddie said angrily.

“I can’t love you from far away, Maddie. I don’t know how,” he told her.

“And you’re not willing to try?” she asked, her tight wall showing the first signs of coming down.

He met her eyes and lied right to them, “No.”

“Why are you lying?” she asked.

“Because I have to in order to make you believe that this is right,” he said.

“Well that’s sort of a problem because I disagree. You’re assuming that I want to experience college single and with no attachments. But you’ve made that impossible, you really have ever since I met you.”

John stayed silent and Maddie couldn’t read his expression.

“I leave tomorrow, John, at ten a.m. Gate C-22. Don’t come if you haven’t changed your mind,” she said, turning on her heel to walk away.

He grabbed her wrist, “Tell me that you love me, Maddie.”

She stared at him for several seconds before leaning in and kissing his cheek close to the corner of his mouth, lingering there for too long, giving him the air that this might be their last kiss.

“I don’t think you know what love is,” she whispered, not meeting his eyes before turning on her heel.

Maddie walked back into the house, instantly running into Kennedy. He narrowed his eyes when he saw the anger on Maddie’s face. “What happened?”

“Will you take me home?” she asked, ignoring his question.

He nodded his head and they pushed through the party to his car. Before he put the key in the ignition he looked at her, “Tell me what’s going on.”

“No,” she replied curtly.

He sighed, knowing he would get nothing out of her and deciding to change the subject, “Can I tell you something?”

“Shoot,” she said.

“I’m going to miss you, probably a lot more then you think,” he said.

“I’ll miss you, too, Kenny,” she said sweetly.

“You taught me how to love, Madeline, and I’m grateful for that,” he told her.

“You were the first boy I ever loved,” she said honestly.

“I’m so sor-”

“Don’t apologize. I’m over it, Kennedy. Everything you did, it made me stronger,” Maddie said.

“Well, glad I could help?” he laughed softly.

She nodded her head, “You boys will have fun on tour. Just don’t have too much fun.”

“I won’t,” he said, “I’ve got Emma and Caroline waiting for me.”

“Right,” Maddie said, “Don’t screw things up with Caroline, Brock.”

“There’s no way in hell that will happen,” he said confidently.

They arrived at her house and Maddie unbuckled her seatbelt. “Will you be at the airport in the morning?”

“Emma and I will be at your house in the morning to drive with you. We’ll all be there for you, Maddie,” he said.

“Don’t you guys have to leave, though?”

“Well Garrett will probably drive to the first stop, so we’ll make it there in record time, because, you know, he’s a terrifying driver,” Kennedy said.

“Right,” Maddie laughed, “See you.”

She walked into her house, her parents already asleep. She showered quickly and then wrapped herself tight in her down comforter. She would miss her home, her bed, her family.

Maddie had already been in contact with her roommate at Harvard. Apparently she was also majoring in Journalism and was from California. Her favorite band was The Beatles and she played volleyball. Maddie figured she would get alone with her well.

She would be lying if she said she slept that night. But the next morning she felt it. She dragged her feet as she packed the last of her bags. She was really only bringing clothes and some essential items, but she decided to leave a few outfits to fit in pictures of her friends, and of course, the letters.

It didn’t matter what John told her today, or what he didn’t tell her. If he wanted her to move on, then she would. She didn’t want to, of course not, but she refused to go to Boston with a broken heart. A heart can only be broken so many times before it learns to heal itself.

Her parents drove her to the airport. Garrett, Pat, Jared, Kennedy, Emma, Eric, and Caroline were all with them. Maddie stared out the window; of course it was raining. Did the skies not understand that she got the point? The rain had healed her, but as of late it seemed to only occur when something was wrong.

There was a kind of ominous air in the car. Everyone was making idle conversation in hopes to avoid the inevitable. When they got to the airport she checked her bags, keeping only a purse to carry onto the plane.

They all found her gate, seeing she still had a half hour before her plane would board. They stood before security, and Maddie swore her feet were stuck in place.

“Well, I guess we’ll go first,” Maddie’s dad said, stepping forward.

Maddie jumped into his arms as he held her tightly, “Make me proud up there, sweetie. I love you.”

“I love you too, daddy,” she told him, tears already coming down her face.

Next she hugged her mom. Neither of them could tell who was crying harder, but Maddie spoke first, “I love you, mom.”

“Maddie, I-I’m sorry for how I used to be. Back then, I was lost. You and Carly… you’re incomparable. But you’re both the loves of my life. I’ll miss you and please, please call me every day,” her mom pleaded.

“I never doubted that you loved me as much as you loved Carly, ma. You’re the best mom I could have asked for,” Maddie said, wiping her mother’s tear, “It took you breaking down for me to realize that I needed Arizona.”

“Are you sure you don’t still need it… or?” her mom laughed.

“I’ll come and visit,” Maddie reassured her.

She embraced her daughter again, “Love you.”

“You, too,” Maddie said before her mother stepped back, taking her dad’s hand and pulling him away from the group.

Next, Maddie held her arms out for Emma. Kennedy handed her over and Maddie smiled lovingly at her. She grabbed her hand and looked her in the eye, “Emma, I have some very important advice, are you listening?”

She took Emma’s completely empty stare to proceed, “Well, you’re going to be beautiful when you get older, mostly in thanks to your mom, though. But anyways, I want you to come to me whenever you can’t talk to your dad. I’ll be that super cool aunt that picks you up when you’re drunk at parties and when you need beer, call me.”

“Maddie!” Kennedy laughed.

“One more thing,” Maddie said to Emma, “Don’t listen to a word your dad says. He’s kind of a dummy and he really only relies on his looks. Understand?”

Emma smiled and placed her hand on Maddie’s nose and everyone laughed, “Good.”

Her mom took Emma from her arms and next Maddie turned to Caroline. They smiled at each other before Caroline jumped on top of Maddie, “Ah girl, don’t leave!”

Maddie sighed, “I’ve heard that too much today.”

“Well, I can’t help it that you’re awesome. But hey, thanks for introducing me to Kennedy,” Caroline said just above a whisper so only Maddie could hear.

“No problem,” she smiled, “Invite me to the wedding?”

“Maid of honor, baby,” she said.

“Thanks for being like… my only girl friend,” Maddie laughed, suddenly realizing how pathetic that sounded.

“Thanks for being mine,” Caroline replied, hugging her again.

They pulled away and Caroline gave her one last frown before walking away.

Maddie turned to Jared Monaco. He ruffled her hair, “I’ll miss that smile, kiddo.”

“I’ll miss that red hair, ginger,” she smiled.

“You’ll do great in college, Madds, don’t you worry,” he said.

“How do you know?”

“Because moving away is 3% hard work and 97% heart. You’re all heart, Maddie, and I think you can squeeze in a little bit of work there,” he told her.

“Take care of the boys out there, okay?” Maddie said, her voice shaking.

“Will do, kid,” Jared said, pulling her head against his chest and hugging her tight. He pulled her away and tears streamed down her face. He bent down and held her face in both his hands, “Stay strong, Maddie. Carly would be proud.”

She nodded her head and he kissed her forehead before leaving her with Pat.

“I refuse to say goodbye,” he said defiantly, his arms crossed.

“Patty cakes, why?” Maddie pouted, holding open her arms.

“Because now I’m going to be the smallest one!” he whined.

She laughed through her tears, “Just give me a hug.”

He begrudgingly embraced her, but before long relaxed and tightened his grip, “I’ll miss ya, tiny.”

“Call me every day?”

“You can count on it,” he said before hugging her once more and walking away.

She turned to Eric, a smile stretching across her lips. He returned it with a grin and put his hands on her shoulders, “I’m really sorry it took me so long to start coming around. I wish we would have hung out more.”

“So you could roofie me?” she asked seriously.

“Among other things,” he said, rolling his eyes, “Hey, Maddie?”

“Yep?” she asked.

“I’m sorry John isn’t here,” he said quietly.

“I’m not,” she said, “I’ll miss you, Halvo.”

“You have no idea, favorite. But I’ll get to see you pretty often. We have band rehearsals in Boston before every tour with Nick. I’ll be in touch,” he said.

Maddie nodded her head before hugging him tightly. She pulled away but he kept her close. She stared up at him, giving him a strange look. He gave her a small smile and leaned in quickly, attaching his lips to hers.

It was probably the quickest and most innocent kiss she had ever gotten, and when Eric pulled away she was left completely shocked. He winked at her as he began to walk away, “See you in Boston. Stay gold, beautiful.”

She laughed and shook her head as she kept her fingers on her lips. She didn’t realize until now how much she would miss him.

Next was Kennedy. She wished she didn’t have to do this, she wished she could just leave. The next two goodbyes would be the hardest.

“Well,” Kennedy said, awkwardly swaying back and forth on his feet, “I guess this is it.”

“I guess so,” she said.

“I love you, Maddie,” Kennedy breathed, tears choking his words.

She wrapped her arms around his torso, staining his t-shirt with her tears. “Kennedy, I’m so glad we made it here.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, staring down at her as she still had her arms around him.

“I mean everything horrible that happened with us. I never thought I would forgive you. I’m just so glad you could be here,” she said.

“I wish you weren’t leaving. We need you around, you really keep us stable,” he said.

She placed her head against his chest, “I need you more.”

Kennedy tightened his arms around her, hugging her and letting a quick tear fall down his cheek. He kissed the top of her head before pulling away. He wouldn’t meet her eyes as he wiped a tear, “Call me.”

She nodded her head and watched him walk away. She refused to look at the last boy standing. She couldn’t do it. The second she saw those blue eyes she would lose it.

He stepped in front of her slowly and she turned her back on him, crossing her arms over her chest. Garrett grabbed her arm and spun her around. He held her hand in his and she stared at her feet.

“You can’t pretend it isn’t happening,” he said.

“Yes, I can.”

“Maddie, you have to leave soon,” he said quietly.

Finally she looked at him. He gave her a small smile and she immediately fell against him.

“Shh,” he said, chuckling a little bit, “It’s not the end of the world.”

“I won’t see you again at least until Christmas, Gare, I’m going to miss you,” she said sadly.

“I’ll text you and call you every day, babe,” he said, hugging her again.

“I’m sorry for the bad things I did to you in the last few months,” she mumbled against his chest.

“Don’t be,” he said, “You’re still my boo.”

“How are you being so strong?” she asked, looking up at him.

He bit his lip and looked away from her. His breathing became a little bit more uncontrolled, “I’m faking it.”

“It’s not the end of the world,” she told herself and Garrett, “We’ll talk every day. Everything will be okay.”

He nodded his head, “Do well up there, Madeline. I’ll think about you every day.”

“Don’t screw too many girls on the road. I like Amy,” she said, a smile tugging at her lips.

“I like her, too,” he smiled, “So I won’t.”

She hugged him again and he rested his chin atop her head. A tear fell down his cheek and when Maddie pulled away she wiped it away for him. “Promise things won’t be different when I see you next?”

He kissed her forehead, “That could never happen.”

“I think I ruined your sweatshirt,” she laughed, pointing at the completely tear-stained front of it.

He looked down at it and didn’t even have to think before he took it off and handed it to her, “In case you get cold in Boston.” She smiled, inhaling the familiar smell of his fabric softener.

“Oh! I almost forgot!” Garrett turned around to Caroline and she reached into her purse and threw him a medium sized object.

“I saw this in your room this morning. I think you forgot it,” he said. He held out in front of her her stuffed bear Gilbert, the one that John had won her on their first date on her birthday many years ago.

She took it from him and held it tight, “Thank you.” Garrett smiled at her and she looked at him, pursing her lips as she thought. It took only a few seconds for her to hold Gilbert out for him.

He looked at her, confused, “You want me to have it?”

“Take him on the road, if that’s not too lame? I was just thinking you could always think of me,” she said, suddenly feeling dumb.

He smiled at her and took the bear in his hands, “Thank you, Maddie.”

Maddie gave Garrett one last hug before he pulled away slowly, “There is one more thing,” he said. Garrett reached into his back pocket and took out a letter. It was slightly tattered and looked old. “John wanted me to give this to you.”

She shook her head, defying the tears and the pain in the pit of her stomach, “I don’t want it.”

“Take it, Maddie. You need to read it before you get on that plane,” he said. She stared at the letter in Garrett’s hand. Her fingers were shaking as she took it. Garrett pulled her into him, “Stay strong.”

Maddie nodded her head and she watched Garrett walk away. Soon the group all waved at her from afar and she held back her tears as she waved back, clutching Garrett’s sweatshirt, using it to wipe her tears.

They announced over the intercom that her flight would begin boarding in fifteen minutes and Maddie looked down at the letter in her hands.

She opened it and at the top, written in fresh ink was the words Don’t say I don’t know what love is.

She took in a breath and continued reading. She saw the top left corner said it was Letter #81. The missing letter John had never sent her years ago.

Maddie,

So… I’m in love. There’s this girl and she’s just… well, let me tell you about her.

She got long brown hair that she usually lets hang natural in its loose waves. It looks especially pretty though when she curls it. It’s just dark enough to absolutely light up her blue eyes. They’re the best eyes I’ve ever seen… I mean, you should see these eyes.

She sees right through me, and when she stares at me with those eyes I swear my heart breaks every time when I realize she’s not mine.

She plays soccer, and she’s actually really good. Not better than me, but pretty close. I love going to her games and watching her play. She hates when I come, because afterwards she’s sweaty and stinky, but she doesn’t realize that she still looks beautiful.

That’s another thing. She doesn’t know how pretty she is. She’s so humble. Not that kind of humble that pretty girls try to fake, she just honestly doesn’t know. She doesn’t think she’s ugly, but when she’s walking next to girls that she envies, she doesn’t realize that she’s the only one guys are looking at.

I get jealous real easy whenever I’m out with her. But she keeps those blue eyes on me. She laughs at my jokes when they’re completely not funny. She lets me play my songs for her, and only smiles when I mess up a chord or my voice hits a bad pitch.

She has this smile, this one that she does every time I catch her doing something dumb. Like when I caught her dancing to N*SYNC when they came on the radio, or when she accidently knocked over a soda and it spilled all over Jared, and she blamed it on Pat.

She has this laugh that is so amazing. She does it when something really funny happens that no one else laughs at. It’s like, hearing herself laugh makes her laugh even harder. It’s infectious.

She also has this wit that is unmatchable. She makes fun of people when they don’t even know it, it’s hilarious. I love when she just looks at me when someone says something dumb and I know exactly what she is thinking.

She snores when she sleeps. I’ve never told her that. It’s not obnoxious, grandpa snoring, but it definitely happens.

She has this heart, Maddie. She has this huge, massive heart that never ceases to amaze me. I didn’t know God made people like her, but she’s living proof of His work.

But you know what? She’s in love with someone else. Someone that is lying to her and that doesn’t deserve her. Hell, she doesn’t deserve me, but she makes me want to change that. She makes me want to be more perfect for her; she makes me want to be the right one.

For a smart girl, she sure is dumb. I wish she would stop being oblivious, it’s breaking me. I think when she gets back from England I’ll tell her how I feel. What do you think I should do?

If she doesn’t love me back, I’ll only tell her that I’ll never give up. I’ll hold faith in what I believe, something she taught me to always do.

Maddie, I’ll wait forever for this girl. I just pray she doesn’t make me. And when she realizes that she loves me, too, I’ll be there. Maybe as a friend, or as nothing at all, but I’ll always come back to her.

At some point in our lives, she’ll be mine and I’ll be hers. I’ll pray every day that it’s sooner rather than later.

-John O’Callaghan V


Maddie read the last lines of the letter over and over again before she folded it back up. She wiped the remaining tears on her eye lashes and let out a breath. She looked up and around her, hoping to see him but knowing she wouldn’t.

She wasn’t crying anymore. She was stronger than he thought, she could do this. She turned on the heel of her foot and walked towards the lines getting ready to board the plane.

Before she made it very far she was being tackled to the ground. She turned around underneath him and sighed, “Eric, what are you doing!?”

“He’s here, Maddie! He’s here. He’s being held up by security for leaving his car running in the middle of the road, because apparently you can’t do that. But he’s here!” Eric said, out of breath.

Maddie pushed Eric off of her and stood up. She straightened out her shirt and brushed down her skirt before slowly walking to the sliding doors. But before she got there he entered.

He was running, but when he spotted her he stopped. She stared at him, unable to move. Finally he walked slowly to her, stopping at a comfortable distance. His hair was dripping wet and his white shirt was stuck to his skin.

“Did you read my letter?” he asked through staggered breath.

Maddie nodded her head, “Why did you give it to me?”

“I had to show you that I knew what love was.”

“Mission accomplished,” she said.

“Maddie,” he breathed, “I’m not willing to give this a chance.”

She stared at her feet, biting her lip, “Good to know. Thanks for coming all the way down here… that was really necessary,” she said, obviously sarcastic.

He grabbed her hand and she didn’t look up, “You didn’t let me finish. I’m not willing to take a chance letting you go.”

She instantly met his eyes. Her heart was beating so fast it was impossible to calm it, “You’re not?”

“I love you too much, Maddie. Anything that’s going against us, well I think we can beat it. I want you to be my girlfriend when you go to Boston. And when you come back in four years I want you to be my wife,” he told her, moving his hand to her face, placing it on her cheek.

“What about the band?” she asked.

“I’ll worry about the band in four years,” he replied, “You are my future, Maddie.”

“We’re going to be more than three thousand miles away, John,” Maddie said, moving his hand from her cheek and holding it loosely. She really didn’t want to fight this. She only said these things so that they could get it all out of the way. Maddie would not be able to take it if John didn’t hold his promises.

“No we won’t be,” he said. “I’m going to be right there.” He was holding her hand and he moved it to rest on her heart.

“Promise?”

“Baby, I swear.”

She almost succumbed to his breath on her lips, but she took in a long breath and pushed him away, “Don’t mess with me John. If you don’t want this tell me now. I’ll leave and I’ll give up on you. Just tell me now, no holds barred.”

“Maddie,” John said, reaching for her and engulfing her small hands, “I said those things last night because I wanted to protect you. But I can see that you don’t need me to do that. You’re fine without me, and that’s what told me its right,” John said hopelessly.

“So you’re sure?” she asked, her eyes pleading with him to say yes.

“Absolutely,” he said, inhaling a deep breath in hopes she would say exactly what she did next.

“I love you, John O’Callaghan,” she said putting her forehead against his.

“You have no idea,” he said, his eyes closed.

“Don’t you ever do this to me again,” she said, trying to sounds confident but he knew how scared she was.

“Never,” he promised.

She placed a hand on the back of his head and gripped his hair lightly, “Is it still raining outside?”

He saw the sun shining through the windows of the airport but it didn’t even compare to the light right in front of him, shining so bright that he was positive he could never let it not belong to him.

He smiled at her, kissing her softly and keeping that smile throughout their kiss, “Not anymore.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Madeline
What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings. I really feel like this is what everyone wanted. This was 6,000 words, so I hope you enjoyed it. I'm sooo sad to see this story end. I've been writing it for three years! Thank you all so much for sticking with it and I really hope that all 196 of you subscribed will leave a comment so I can thank all of you personally. Please tell me if the ending was what you wanted!
I love you guys so much! Oh, and as a treat, here's a link to my new story, The Sun Also Sets, featuring John and Kennedy! Please subscribe and I'll start posting immediately!
-Bree xoxo