Status: very, very active :D

Sold My Soul

two.

Bert sighed, pacing up and down the sidewalk. He had an important decision to make and he hadn't the slightest idea what to do.

Bert had been living on the streets for nearly two years; ever since Kate broke his heart. He spent most of his days tweaked out of his mind. He had become re-addicted to meth recently.

After much debate, Bert walked up to a pay phone, put a quarter in, and punched in a number. After ringing a few times, someone finally answered.

"Hello?" the familiar voice asked.

"Uh... Mom?" Bert whispered.

"Bert? Oh my God, Bert, is that you?" he could hear the overwhelming joy in his mother's voice.

"Yeah. It's me. I was wondering, Mom. I need to ask you a big favor."

"Anything, Bert. We miss you."

Bert sighed, "Can... Can I move back in with you guys?" he asked hesitantly.

"Of course, Bert! Nothing would make me happier. I've missed you dearly."

"I know," Bert felt guilty about not talking to his poor mother for two years; since he was sixteen.

"Well, Bert," he could hear the smile in her voice, "We'll see you soon. I love you. Bye-bye."

"Love you, too," Bert hung up the phone and stood there for a moment, wondering how he would explain his appearance to his mother.

His dirty, unshaven face was framed by a mess of greasy black hair. He was dressed in thrift store clothes head to toe; a bright yellow t-shirt, fingerless gloves, camouflage shorts, and tennis-shoes. He couldn't remember the last time he showered. There wasn't much he could do, though. So, he sighed, ran his fingers through his hair, and set off in the direction of his former house.

***

"Joseph!" Bert smiled as he walked through the door, pulling his younger brother into a hug, "I missed you, buddy."

"Missed you too," Joseph said. He had never been one for expressing emotion.

"Don't you think you can get out of a hug," Bert smiled, gesturing his three sisters over. They all hugged and talked for a bit.

"Where's Mom?" Bert asked.

"Here," his mother smiled, walking into the room. She hugged Bert for a while, tearing up a bit, "Now, get upstairs and take a shower for God's sake. You smell horrible and look even worse. You can sleep in your old room; all your stuff's still in there.

Bert let out a sigh of relief, glad he could take a shower and sleep in a bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to:

ubiquitous
ipod lover
Shed Your Yellow
Alvarittsixx
Daisy Chainsaw &
ImElatedICouldCutYou


Your comments really mean a lot to me. Thank you guys! :)