Perfection for a Day

The Long Goodbyes

The gang found me sitting on the trunk of the car with Stephen standing in front of me playing rock paper scissors to pass the time. Jen was the first one who saw us and marched over to us angrily.

“What are you doing here?” She demanded. “Leave my friend alone.” She pushed Stephen away from me before I had a chance to explain. His eyes grew wide and confused as he took a few steps back from the force of Jen’s push. “Honestly rock star she wants nothing to do with you so.” I threw my hand over Jen’s mouth to get her to shut up. She pulled it away and turned to look at me daggers shooting from her eyes. “I’m trying to defend you what is your problem.”

“He kind of found me and kissed me and invited us to the barbeque I want to go and I kinda like him and I think he might be an ok boyfriend.” I said very quickly and under my breath.

“Are you kidding me? You just missed the best we the kings set ever because you were heartbroken over this guy and now you want to go party with him? What are you thinking?”

“Jen just listen he, I, he was a really good kisser. Can we go? Please?” I looked at her with my best puppy dog eyes hoping that they would once again sway her in my favor.

“Fine, but I don’t want to hear you complain again about him.” I smiled and slid off the trunk holding my hand out towards Stephen, he grabbed it willingly and led us back towards the buses. We entered by the BBQ area and were quickly handed drinks. Everyone went their separate ways happy to mingle with all the people they admired, Stephen held tightly to my hand leading me away from the main party. He found a spot by his bus where there were a few lawn chairs set up he sat in one and pulled me into his lap. I kissed him softly not knowing what else to do.

“I think I could easily fall for you, I think I have easily fallen for you. It scares me.”

“Don’t be scared, I won’t hurt you.” He kissed my cheek and pushed my hair out of my face. “I’ve fallen for you too.”

“So you won’t fall in love tomorrow?”

“Not unless it is more in love with you, I mean I might not love you completely yet but I don’t think I could ever not love you.”

“Don’t say ever, just worry about tomorrow. Ever is a long time I hope you know.”

“I know how long ever is and that is a commitment I am prepared to make right now.”

“I don’t want a commitment for ever I want a commitment for tomorrow. Will you call me tomorrow after your set?”

“As soon as I’m off the stage.”

“You promise?”

“Yes I do.”

“Are you going to spill lemonade on some poor unknowing girl tomorrow?”

“Not unless I see you.” A smile hit my face and I kissed him.

“Aww are you two back together?” John asked coming up to us.

“GO away.” Stephen said.

“I will not go away. I came to see if you were hungry.”

“No, I don’t think.”

“I am.” I said, “I forgot to eat all day.” John held out his hand and I took it allowing him to lead me towards food. Stephen followed reluctantly keeping my other hand in his. I grabbed a few things to snack on and Stephen pulled me back to our chair before I had my plate completely filled.

“So tomorrow are you going to answer the phone when I call?” Stephen asked.

“Of course, I mean I was the one who was all bent out of shape because I figured this was a one night thing.”

“Ok but when I call the next day.”

“I’ll answer any day that you call me. That is a promise.” I said before I kissed him again.

“Don’t fall in love with anybody other than me ok?” I nodded my head before resting my head on his shoulder. “I’ll be back as soon as tour is over. I mean after I have a bit of time with my family and friends back home than I will be back here to see you and we will get to know each other properly and completely and we will fall completely in love. And we will know that this day was meant to happen and I was supposed to spill that lemonade on you and not anybody else in the world. We’ll know that this was fate.”

“Yeah, I was supposed to get separated from my friends and have my outfit ruined by you.” He laughed.

“Let’s go join the party shall we?”

We stood hand and hand next to each other watching the sunrise together, each of us knowing what the beginning of the new day meant for what was going on to us. As each beam hit us just our grip on each of each other held just a little bit tighter not wanting to let go, not wanting to let each other leave. His gaze went from me to the sunrise and back to me, just like mine went from the sunrise to him. Neither of us were ready to say goodbye.

“Stephen, come on bus call.” Courtney yelled from the door of the bus, they were the last ones to leave the lot that day. He stared at me deeply looking torn to go back to the bus or to stay with me. Finally it was my decision to let go of him. I gave him a small kiss on the cheek and started to walk away only turning back for a moment to look and him standing in the sun.

“I better be getting that call as soon as you are off the stage.” I said before running over to where Jen and the rest of the guys were waiting. He smiled and lifted his hand in a wave.

“I’ll talk to you later.” Was all he said before Jen threw her arm around me and pulled me towards the car.

“Are you going to be alright?” Jen asked quietly as we pulled out of the parking lot.

“Yeah I think I will be. I mean even if he doesn’t call, I’ll always have this perfect day to remember.” I said. She turned left and started to drive. In the rearview mirror I saw their bus turn right and take off in their own direction and a part of me hoped he wouldn’t forget to call me.