Sequel: Kingdom by the Sea
Status: Complete!

Nevermore

The tenth of October.

Even if it was months later, October even, she remembered the way Itachi had scrubbed at his hands. Trying as hard as he could to get her rusting blood off of his fingers. Since that day, a small scar had marred her palm, it was soft and pink but it was a brutal reminder of just how dedicated she was. Both then and now. Itachi had wrapped her hand tightly, even sparing her kind words when she held back the tears when the alcohol hit the cut. He said she was braver than he had thought and since that day she wanted to prove to him that she was more than he could ever even imagine. Because she knew she had it in her. The sun had finally decided to fall, not that it was blazingly hot anymore, now that October had started she had found herself more and more craving the heat. Wearing jackets had never been something she found comfortable. The tenth of October drawled to a final ray of sherbet pink, letting the sun bleed it’s sweet light over the entire leaf village. It was at this time that Hinamei was throwing kunai at a target with her eyes closed, grinning as the wood splintered beneath the weapon’s tip. “It’s too bad Itachi-chan couldn’t see this,” she peeked open a single eye and clapped her small hands together. Itachi had said he would help her train today but this morning when she had stopped by, to her dissapointment, Itachi was stuck babysitting Sasuke all day long. Not that she needed him there anyways, another kunai hit the target.

Soon, the sky got darker, turning a deep navy shade as the minutes wore on. Hinamei looked up and frowned, there was a strange vibe in the air that she finally noticed now that she wasn’t involved in her training. It was as if the sky was trembling in fear alone. As uneasy as she was, she sorted her kunai back into her bag and took leave, walking faster than she normally would. As it was her house was nearly on the other side of the compound. She stole her lip in-between her teeth and bit down, something was amiss. People were bustling inside the compound, some likewise aware of the feeling in the air and other’s, more naïve. However, as people moved around, sooner they started to disperse until Hinamei felt alone on the dusty road. The sky was growing darker and darker still, she decided that then, maybe running would have been a better choice.

Farther down the block, sitting on the edge of his porch, was Uchiha Itachi. He looked up at the sky and frowned, noticing the tension in the air growing heavier by the second. “What is this awful feeling?” He asked to himself, glancing down as Sasuke began to fuss. As if on cue, Sasuke burst out into a frightened wail. Of course, this night his parents had to go out. “There, there,” he mumbled, rocking the small child in his arms. A small smile graced his lips as he stared at the rosy, flustered cheeks of his younger kin. “Don’t cry Sasuke. Your big brother’s here to protect you, no matter what.” Yet, he still kept crying. Maybe he’s cold, Itachi took the corner of the blanket and tucked it under Sasuke’s chin. Finally, he stood up and walked back towards the door. “Fine, fine, we’re going in.” It was a shame, despite the heaviness that shrouded the air, it was a beautiful night out. The door shut heavily behind him, every step he took the house groaned. Echoing off the empty walls. Sasuke’s room seemed to be the only room in the house that didn’t seem to be affected by the strange vibe. Sasuke shut his mouth once he was placed in his bassinet. Itachi smiled before turning his attention towards the window. He took a step towards it then froze, the ground was shaking. “Sasuke-kun…” Then the ground uprooted in the distance. His mouth fell agape and he stumbled backwards until he hit the ground dazed. “What…is that?” Sasuke’s screams filled the air but that was the least of his worries at the moment. He scrambled back up and placed his palms flat against the window. Eyes wide and trembling he couldn’t believe the wreckage of the village, nor the fact that there was a demon swaying against the outskirts of the village. His mind fluttered and without warning he burst from Sasuke’s room into the dark trembling hallway, “Kaa-san, Tou-san!” They were still out there somewhere, and he wasn’t going to just stand there and wait. His eyes probed the darkness until he reached the door, swinging it open he darted onto his porch with wide, terrified eyes. Only then did a violent scream rip through the air like thunder…

Hinamei rushed through the dirt, tears slipping from her eyes. She never thought it possible to get lost in her own compound, but here she was, lost and at her wit’s end. It was the panic that did it, the need to find a safe place to hide. She didn’t have the time to go looking for her house now that there was a monster looming over the village. It had come out of nowhere, its hideous rage had splintered the village like it was nothing. Ahead of her she watched as four Uchiha men, all clad in black, running forward towards the edge of the village. “Wait, please!” She cried out, desperately flailing her hand about in front of her. But nobody stopped, there were bigger issues to be handling now. Her foot hit a rock and she went flying towards the ground, her small body screaming out as she hit the rough floor but it was all drown out as soon as the demon opened his mouth again. She closed her eyes, trying desperately to block out the fox that loomed overhead when a hand gripped around her collar and pulled back. Another scream escaped her mouth, “shut up!” a familiar voice hissed into her ear. She was drug up three stairs and into a house where the door was slammed promptly behind her.

“What-what is that thing!?” Hinamei’s hands slapped to her face and she stared up in fright at the serious boy. Itachi bit his lip and closed his eyes, losing himself in thought. He only reopened them once Hinamei began to cry again. “Itachi-chan, what’s happening?” Before he got a chance to answer her eyes lit up and she scrambled to her feet. It was something that Itachi wasn’t prepared for as Hinamei came rushing at him, hand outstretched as if to hit him. He moved away out of habit, blocking her with his arm until he realized she wasn’t heading for him at all.

She was heading for the door.

Her hand wrapped around the lever to unfasten the lock and with terrifying speed the door swung open, she had one foot out the door before her collar was stuck fast in Itachi’s hand. She screamed again but this time it was out of rage. Her dark eyes flashed back at his face and she snarled, cheeks wet and red from crying. Not once had he seen her like this, reckless and brave. Or stupid, he thought snidely. “What the hell do you think you’re doing!?” He cried out, using his strength to drag her back in through the door. She clawed at the entryway and through gritted teeth demanded to be let go. “You idiot!”

“Tou-san is out there, fighting! He’s going to get killed!” Her voice echoed off the walls around them.

“And so will you if you rush out there like that, stupid girl!” Itachi snarled back just as rough, the urgency in her eyes faded and suddenly her body went limp, she collapsed in the doorway and held her face in her hands. Drops of saltwater hit the floor loudly in the quiet house. “My parents are out there too Hinamei, we can’t do anything but wait.” The tone in his voice reflected a soft sort of comfort but his face however had worry etched across every inch. Extending his hand towards the sobbing girl, she eyed him distrustfully before setting her small palm in his.

“I’m scared Itachi-chan.” She mumbled as she followed him back to Sasuke’s room, the baby wiggled his hands up at the ceiling before exclaiming his joy at seeing his brother step through the door. Several ground shaking blows rumbled through the house, making everyone in the room tense with jolting fear. Hinamei looked at Itachi and opened her mouth to speak, but he cut her off with a smile.

“Me too, but it’s going to be okay.” He looked out the window to his left and furrowed his slender brow. “It’s gone.”

“What? What’s gone?”

“The demon, I can’t see it anymore…but I can still feel it.” He wound his small hands up his arms, a chill seeping in from under the door. “Do you want some tea Hinamei?” As confused as she was she nodded, slowly and never tearing her eyes from his stony face. “Come to the kitchen. Bring Sasuke-kun, will you?” And without another word he left through the door to the bedroom. Hinamei turned back towards the bassinette and wrapped her small arms around the even smaller child. Happily, he wrapped his hand around her short hair, tugging lightly.

“Is Itachi-chan alright Sasuke-kun? He seems different.” The baby giggled and Hinamei placed his chin over her small shoulder, walking through the door with a silent huff. When she walked into the kitchen Itachi was pouring the hot water into two separate cups, he didn’t look up as she sat across from him. “Ita-”

“What were you doing outside this evening?” He pushed a cup towards her and in turn, took Sasuke from her shoulder.

“Training, but Itachi right now that’s not important. Didn’t you-” Itachi cut her off with a hard stare and a firm mouth, he brought his own tea to his mouth. He didn’t need to say anything more, she lowered her eyes and realized he just didn’t want to talk about it. He was worried, it was obvious and who wouldn’t be? But the last thing he wanted was to appear weak in front of her, nothing more. “I’m sorry.”

He responded with a grunt before standing up and walking Sasuke around. “Has your training improved much?” She nodded and when she realized he wasn’t looking she replied with a short yes. “You’ll have to show me soon,” he turned towards her and grinned, his eyes trying to hide the panic. “maybe tomorrow.”

He was trying to make her feel more at ease. A gentle gesture unlike anything he normally would display, she nodded exuberantly and smiled back. “Alright then, I will.” As soon as he turned back around she looked into her tea and bit back the tears. It didn’t matter what Itachi did, all she could think about was her Tou-san. Even the fresh memories of that morning haunted her like a bad dream…

“Where is my darling Hinamei?” The tall man asked the open air, Hinamei giggled from beneath the table before jumping out and wrapping herself around his leg. It was ten minutes after breakfast, five minutes before he had to leave for another mission.

“Are you leaving already Tou-san?” She asked, looking up with wide grey eyes. He ruffled her hair before pulling her up to his level, she seemed so small in his grip. Her father was, as the rest of the clan liked to call him, a disgrace. Never being much of a shinobi, he was looked down upon for sporting the great Uchiha name. Until now. “When you come home can you train with me?” She asked, hopping up and down in her father’s arms.

“I’ve got a big mission today, I won’t be coming back until tonight but when I do, I will help you.” He lowered himself down to whisper in her ear, “just don’t tell your mother, you know how she worries.” Hinamei put her head against her chest and smiled to herself. He had never been much of a father, only recently did he take interest in his family. In her. And it was something she had never really missed until now.

“Don’t go.”

Their twin irises met and he smiled, giving a small kiss on her pale cheek. “I have to go, my team is depending on me. You’ll understand one day Hinamei, until then keep training. I have something for you.” He put her down on the floor and walked over to the cabinet. Looking once for her mother he pulled a small pouch from atop the cabinet and kneeled down in front of her. “These were my first kunai knives, passed down through the family from your ancestor Uchiha Hujiko. These are special knives and now their yours.” Her hands gripped around the small bag, smiling wider as they tinkled, metal against metal, inside the pouch. “Be careful with them. Now, I’ve got to leave. Be a good girl for your mother Hinamei. I love you.”

Before he could stand she jumped over and wrapped her small arms around his neck, “I love you too Tou-san! Hurry home!” She let go and with another smile watched her father stand and walk through their front door. Proudly bearing the Uchiha fan on his back like one day she would…


“Hinamei?” Her eyes tore to Itachi’s face, puzzled as he looked she smiled sheepishly and took another sip of her tea. “Did you hear anything I said to you?

“I’m sorry Itachi-chan, I was thinking of something.” He shook his head and small smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

“You’ll never make a good kunoichi if you’re head is always in the clouds.” Sasuke made a noise and Hinamei scoffed, finishing off her tea with a smirk.

“You’ll see Itachi, you’ll see.” The second she put the cup down against the table the door down the hall swung open and a sobbing voice could be hear. Hinamei spun around in her seat startled and Itachi’s eyes grew wide and frightened.

“Kaa-san?” He muttered quietly, he clenched onto Sasuke so hard that the baby began to fuss uncomfortably. Suddenly, through the kitchen archway sprang Mikoto, her eyes red and her cheeks flushed. She paid no attention to Hinamei as she rushed forward and fell to her knees in front of her sons. Itachi closed his eyes happily, taking in the sounds of her sobbing.

“Itachi, Sasuke, oh dear you’re alright!” Tears sprang from her eyes and she smiled widely at her boys. Before Itachi could react her arms tightened around both of them. Hinamei squirmed in her seat uncomfortably, witnessing such an intimate reunion between mother and son was something she would have rather gone without. Through her eyelashes she looked up and locked eyes with Itachi. He smiled at her and leaned into his mother’s shoulder crook. Another pair of footsteps crept in from behind.

“I’m glad to see everything is alright here, I was worried.” Fugaku said from behind Hinamei. She tilted her head upwards and met the dull of eyes of Itachi’s father. His brown, lanky hair fell into his face and he frowned upon seeing her there. Quickly, she averted her eyes back towards the floor. “Does your mother know you’re here?” He asked her, flashing an intimidating glare in her direction.

“N-no, I got lost on my way home when the demon came. Itachi-chan let me in.” He grunted and looked back up at Itachi, raising a brow in question.

“You better get her home son.” Itachi sprang up from his mother’s trembling grip and frowned, his eyes wildly searching his father’s face.

“But the demon-” Fugaku silenced his son with his hand, closing his eyes.

“The fox is gone, The fourth managed to evade it from the village, sacrificing himself. Everything…is over now.”

“Are you sure?” Hinamei asked innocently, earning another cold glare from her father. She bit her lip and hustled out of the kitchen, Itachi following on her heels. “You’re Tou-san, he frightens me.” Itachi let out a low laugh and opened the front door, both children stopped and let their mouth’s fall open. Every Uchiha in the compound lined the streets. Some where crying, other’s cheering, but all of them were celebrating their lives and the sacrifice of the fourth.

“The Kyuubi is gone! It’s really gone!” A middle aged man said as he ran by, his fists his the air happily.

“The Kyuubi? That’s what attacked the village?” Itachi nodded at her and they walked down the steps together into the mass of people. “How are we going to even get down the street? I can’t see a thing.” She asked over the loud voices of many people. There were more outside the village, she could hear from where she stood. Suddenly a man ran by, knocking Hinamei to the ground unnoticed. Two more men went by, inches from smashing her fingers. She was going to get trampled. “Itachi!” She cried out, trying to stand up but found herself stuck between a walking group. Itachi was no where to be seen. Suddenly, a hand wrapped around hers and pulled her through the crowd. Whether or not she could see the face of her savior, she knew it was Itachi. His soft, small hands wrapped around hers. Dampened by the rush and warm air of their surroundings. She left the mass of people and was pulled down a dark alley way, A cat ran by startled by their appearance.

“I can’t keep saving you like this.” Itachi said, shaking his head in disapproval. “You’re a mess.”

“It’s not my fault everyone is waiting outside your house.” He frowned and took her hand back in his.

“Come on, I know a couple back roads.” They walked, hand in hand down the dark street wordlessly. Her hand itched and desperately she wanted to snatch it back from Itachi, but his grip was so tight she felt it better to let him keep leading her. “Are you alright?” He finally asked, breaking the silence between them.

“I’m tired. I just want to go home.” Itachi studied her pale moonlit face for a minute before nodding and walking faster. She didn’t say anything more, that pain in her heart kept her occupied the walk home. Even more, knowing how torn her mother would be made her feel almost sick. She never even said she was leaving today. Itachi suddenly came to a halt and released her sweaty hand, her eyes glazed over at the house in front of her. The living room was lit up, leaving every other room to look like a black hole, dreadfully empty. Her mother was waiting, something Hinamei really wasn’t looking forward to. She turned towards the boy and smiled, closing her eyes. “Thank you Itachi-chan, I would have been in trouble if you hadn’t helped me earlier.” He shrugged, not entirely knowing how to react to her words.

“Well, goodnight Hinamei, see you some other time.” He waved her off but before he could turn she wrapped her arms around his middle, pressing her head against his chest. His own hands wavered around her body not wanting to make contact, but eventually he rested his hands against her back awkwardly.

“Goodnight Itachi-chan!” She released him and before he could say anything she darted off across the street to her house. Curiously, he waited patiently in the darkened street alone, until he knew she was safely in her house. Once by himself, he pushed his hands inside his pockets and turned around, sparing one last glance at the house, he walked off with a soft smile spread across his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
...I know, I know.
I'm late, again.
Hence the reason this chapter is long and had some little fluffy bits included.
Because I totally owe it to you guys.
Oh, and off to anther subject...who has been keeping up on the Naruto manga?
D:
!!!
Enough said, I can't take it anymore.