Magic Can Do Wonders

"IT"

I sat swinging my legs on the ledge of a building rooftop as I gazed at one spot on the street below where my target would surely appear. My golden eyes twinkled in amusement as the target, as expected, lurched around the corner of the street running full speed.

My target, a young 28 year old, was being pursued by 3 nasty, barbaric men wielding medieval axes.

"How utterly dramatic," I said to myself as my quarry shot down the empty street with the men on its heels. I extracted a small blue orb from my thick cloak and cast it down in front of my targets pursuers.

It exploded in a large cloud of green smog. My target skidded to a halt at the nearly nonexistent sound of the orb exploding and and turned around with its eyes closed ready for impact. When none came it cautiously stepped forward to the clearing cloud. A breeze carried the green away and the only thing visible was a mound of rotting timber on the sidewalk.

I slid down the side of the building in the growing shadow that was twilight and watched as the street lamp on the corner flickered to light. I hid in a dark corner as the target carefully approached the logs. I observed as it nudged the nearest one with a toe and jump back as a small red frog hopped out of a hole in the log.

We stared at it hopping away then the log recaptured our attention when the fungi shivered and seem to glare at my target in rage.

It gave a deep sigh of relief and began to walk away. I quickly stepped out behind it as it passed and pulled my staff from within my cloak. Walking quietly behind it, I yanked the staff up fast and brought it down lightly on its head.

It slumped to the ground in unconsciousness and I tucked the staff away within my cloak. I snapped my fingers at the limp body and it rose into the air. I pulled my cloak around me and chuckled. This was too easy.

I slowly traced a shape into the air, preparing for a transport Krosta spell, and didn't react fast enough when I saw the flicker of motion. The last thing I did was look up and mutter a single curse before the floating figure whacked me in the head with a chunk of the rotting wood.