Status: Completed.

Makes No Difference

Emmett Cullen

No one had expected Yasmin, the blonde happy go lucky younger sister of Sam Uley, to have been chosen by the deceased spirits of their ancient tribe to become one of the few protectors of La Push that would defend against the cold ones in case of attack, but much to Sam’s dismay, she had.

It had been an oddly warm afternoon in March when the seventeen year old suddenly fell ill during soccer practice. Teammates rushed over to her crumpled figure on the ground, confused as to what had occurred but when they felt how hot her skin felt, they immediately knew that something was wrong.

An ambulance arrived shortly thereafter to transport Yasmin to the nearby hospital to be examined by countless doctors that ran test after test to figure out what was causing the fever along with the severe discomfort but their tests returned empty.

According to them, it was all in her head.

Being told that it was all in her imagination infuriated Yasmin; she knew that what she was feeling was real. A person can’t invent that sort of torture, that sort of indescribable aching that leaves one bedridden for days at a time.

Sam had been very suspicious of his sister’s illness.

Many symptoms that he had exhibited in his time leading up to his initial phasing were symptoms that Yasmin was suffering from but he kept telling himself that there was no way in hell that she could be a shifter.

For crying out loud, Yasmin was a woman and never before, in the history of the tribe had there been a female shifter, it was unheard of and he couldn’t believe that his little sister could be destined for such a fate.

Yasmin was much too sweet to be able to kill a cold one.

But a week after she’d fallen ill, Sam learned that his sister wasn’t a harmless creature like he’d always thought, she was a shifter, a brilliant white wolf whose fur seemed to shine even in the darkest of nights.

Initially Yasmin had freaked out, staring at her newfound figure in fear, wondering if she had gone mad from the fever but Sam did his job well, he calmed her down, talked her through phasing and once she was in her human form, he told her about what being a shifter entailed.

“Fuck,” had been the word she’d uttered after Sam had finished his spiel.

Fuck was right.

An unbelievable amount of responsibility had suddenly been placed on her shoulders. All of a sudden she had to mind her temper and not let her emotions get the best of her, she had to remove herself from friends in order to keep them safe but what was hardest to cope with was the fact that vampires, the bloodthirsty fiends that had terrified her in the movies, were real.

--------------------

“No!” hissed Yasmin, throwing on her hooded sweater as she walked out the door.

“Yasmin stop!” ordered Sam, using that damn Alpha voice that forced others to do his bidding.

Grudgingly, she stopped mid step, her eyes shining with anger as she willed her feet to move but it was as if someone had put hundred pound cylinders atop them to keep her from rushing towards her car that would carry her to freedom in Forks.

“Why do you have to be so fucking difficult?”

“Forgive me for wanting to kick back and act like a normal teenager,” spat Yasmin sarcastically.

Sam glared at her. “You’re not a normal teenager anymore and you need to get that through your head! You can’t just go out whenever you feel like it. What if some vampire showed up here? What if they killed everyone because you weren’t here to help us fight?”

“What vampire?” Yasmin cried. “The Cullen’s aren’t going to be attacking us, they drink animal blood so I'm pretty sure they’re not going to be waltzing over here to drain some villagers so please just let me go grab a cup of coffee and do some harmless flirting. I deserve it after these past two months.”

“How about we make a deal?” proposed Sam.

She cocked her brow. “I'm listening. . .”

“If you go warn Bella like I asked you to, then you don’t have to patrol tonight so you can hang out at Forks all night.” He knew she wouldn’t resist his offer.

“Fine,” answered Yasmin, “But I'm not putting on that ridiculous dress.”

Thirty minutes later she arrived at the empty parking lot of Forks High School where the prom was going to be held later that evening. She sat in her car in silence, watching as teens slowly began arriving and when Edward left Bella unattended so that he could park his car she decided to make her move.

“Bella,” greeted Yasmin warmly.

The lanky brunette turned. “Hi,” Bella then paused awkwardly, “I don’t want to seem rude, but, do I know you?”

“Not really,” Yasmin giggled, trying to dissolve the awkwardness. “I’m Jacob Black’s friend and his dad wanted me to tell you something.”

“Really?” excitement was present in her voice. “What is it?”

Yasmin stepped closer to her, “It’s about the Cullen’s, be careful around them because we’ll be watching.”

Bella visibly swallowed. “W-what are you talking about?”

A gust of wind blew a disgustingly sweet scent into Yasmin’s mouth when she parted her lips to respond. She had never personally smelled the bloodsuckers, she’d only had the scent described to her by Sam and her brother was right to say that it was so sweet that it made something inside snap, something want to put an end to the stench.

“What are you doing here?” asked Edward, unsure of what a wolf was doing speaking with his Bella.

Yasmin studied his face, it was clear that he was willing to kill for the human standing before them. “I was telling Bella that she should be careful.”

“Don’t worry about her,” snapped Edward.

“Why shouldn’t I?” Yasmin smiled. “From the looks of her it seems like someone gave her quite the mythical beat down and we don’t let that happen to humans in these parts. I have to go, but just know that war will be unleashed if anything happens to her or any other human in the territory.”

The potent stench grew stronger, signaling that more than one vampire was in the vicinity but suddenly a soothing smell struck her, one that completely overshadowed all the others and wanting to know what human’s scent had eclipsed that of the vampires she turned to look but instead of seeing a human nearby she found herself looking at a very muscularly defined chest that was covered by an expensive looking suit.

“What is she?” whispered the muscular man. “She smells different . . .”

Yasmin raised her gaze, ready to tell the person that he didn’t have to worry about what she was but the moment that her grey/blue eyes fell upon his golden honey ones the entire world faded from the view, leaving only the pale skinned demigod in eyesight.

He was the most breathtakingly beautiful creature that she’d ever seen in her life and his scent was otherworldly, it was so pure that it made her certain that if there was a heaven that would be how it smelled.

After what felt like an eternity she finally regained control of herself, but she couldn’t shake that feeling of bliss off and then, as if someone had dumped a mass amount of ice down her back, she realized what had happened and took off in a sprint.

She’d just imprinted on one of the Cullen’s . . .

--------------------

Sam sat in silence, an incredulous expression etched onto his face while he struggled to find the strength within himself to speak, but it didn’t matter how much he willed himself to say a word for the unsavory news had left him mute.

“Please say something,” begged Yasmin whose eyes were brimming with tears.

“Imprint . . .” Sam whispered. “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Yasmin covered her eyes with her left hand, the right remaining on her hip. “Sam, I know it sounds crazy but when I looked into his eyes the entire world around me disappeared, suddenly he was everything. Suddenly he became my reason for living and . . .”

“And what?” asked Sam.

Yasmin swallowed nervously. “And I don’t seem to care about the fact that he’s a vampire and I'm a shifter.”

“How can you not care?!” roared Sam. “He is the enemy!”

“Obviously not if the spirits made him my imprint!” argued Yasmin. “They pick our imprints for us, they choose who suits us best and there’s something about Emmett that made them want me to be with him. There’s something about that man that’s perfect for me.”

“Are you hearing what you’re saying? You’re calling him a man! How does that bloodsucker warrant that title if he’s been dead for so many years and survives on the blood of others. Damn it Yasmin, I'm going to tell you what we’re going to do. You’re going to go with Aunt Lucy in California until you get over this thing and then, then you can come back.”

“Get over it?!” screeched Yasmin. “Do you honestly think that I can just get over it and break the bonds of imprinting?”

Sam remained calm. “With enough will power one can do anything.”

“Then why didn’t you break it so that you could stay with Leah?” whispered Yasmin in a deathly low voice.

His face fell at those words.

“It’s not that easy Sam, and you know it. My heart aches for him, I don’t even know him but I can’t imagine living in a world without him so don’t ask me to leave to California because I won’t do it.”

“He has a mate, the blonde one.” He hoped that would change her mind.

“Then I will be his protector,” stated Yasmin defiantly.

“What does he need protecting against?”

“You . . .”

------------------

From a distance she watched as he ran through the forest, a large smile spread across his handsome face while he sang songs from another era, stopping every so often to look up at the glowing moon that illuminated the dark forest.

It had nearly been three months since the imprinting had occurred, but Yasmin still hadn’t spoken a word to him out of fear that he would not like her, sounds stupid doesn’t it? But alas those are the thoughts that plague all shifters until they finally gather the courage to speak to their imprint.

“Stalker,” yelled Emmett in a sing song voice.

Yasmin tensed at his word choice.

“Well aren’t you going to say something back,” he paused before adding, “Or at least send a bark my way?”

She toyed with the idea of pretending as if she hadn’t heard him and returning to La Push but the temptation of actually holding a conversation with him was much too great to pass up so she phased into her human form and got dressed.

“Hello,” greeted Yasmin nervously, tugging at the hem of her shirt.

Emmett grinned at the sound of her voice. “Well hello Yasmin!”

“You know my name?”

“Of course I do, you’re quite the topic of conversation,” Emmett beamed.

Yasmin chuckled. “Is it because I threatened Bella?”

“No,” he answered softly, “It’s because of that magic thing that happened between us.”

“What magic thing? I'm not a wizard.”

“Not that kind of magic, I'm talking about that imprinting.”

“How do you know about that?” Yasmin stepped closer to him. “No one’s said a word about that to your coven.”

“But they thought it.”

“Ugh,” groaned Yasmin, “The mind reader told you.”

Booming laughter emanated from Emmett. “Geez am I that horrible of an imprint that you didn’t want me to know? I may not be human but I guarantee that it doesn’t get much better than this,” he motioned to at his own body.

“So humble,” Yasmin joked.

“That I am,” the smile vanished from his face, “So why hadn’t you approached me? I thought shifters were supposed to be crazy about their imprints but you don’t seem all that crazy about me.”

“How do you know all this?”

“I’ve done some research,” he mumbled under his breath. “I wanted to know if there’d been something like us before.”

“Did you find anything similar?” inquired Yasmin hopefully.

Emmett shook his head. “Nope, but it’s not like it makes a difference.”

“And why’s that?”

“Because regardless of whether or not I would’ve found a wolf/vampire couple on the internet I would’ve still ended my marriage so that I could ask you out on a proper date.”

Proper dates soon became a common thing for the pair, well they really weren’t proper dates since they consisted of late night rendezvous’ in the forest so that no one in her pack would catch wind of what was going on but they referred to them as proper dates because Emmett wanted their meetings to sound fancy.

During the course of August, Yasmin grew incredibly close to Emmett. He was everything that she had always wanted in a man and the fact that she didn’t have to worry about losing control around him made her feel normal for the first time since she’d phased.

-------------------

“I love you Yasmin,” whispered Emmett into her ear as they lay in the middle of a clearing.

She nestled closer into him, “I love you to Emmett, more than you could ever imagine.”

“Whatever I did to deserve you must’ve been really good,” he tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, “When are we going to take it public?”

“Believe me when I say that if it were up to me we would’ve gone public ages ago but Sam’s forbidden me from being with you. If he found that we were here right now there’s no telling what he’d do.”

“He wouldn’t hurt you.”

“How can you be so sure of that?” she inquired.

“Because I wouldn’t let him,” Emmett gently caressed her hot flesh with his cold one, “I would sooner die than let someone hurt you Yasmin, I mean it.”

Emmett always knew exactly what to say to make Yasmin’s heart skip a beat. His words moved her so deeply that she completely disconnected herself from the world around her in order to truly immerse herself in his touch but that would prove to be one of the worst ideas that Yasmin had ever had for had she kept her guard up she would’ve realized that Sam, along with others of their pack, were nearby.

It wasn’t until a low feral growl disturbed the silence that she realized that they were there and by then it was too late, the damage had been done.

“YASMIN!” barked Sam, leading the others that were still in their wolf form.

Emmett leapt up from the ground. “Don’t scream at her like that.”

“I’ll talk to her however the hell I want to talk to her!” hissed Sam. “Yasmin, get over here, NOW.”

“Yas, don’t,” pleaded Emmett, knowing very well that no good would come of it.

She wanted to stay by his side but Yasmin understood that the pack wanted to have a talk with her, Sam more than anyone for it had been his orders that she had so boldly disobeyed in order to be with her imprint.

“I’ll be fine Emmett, I promise.”

Yasmin was not fine.

The moment that they got to La Push, Sam began screaming at her, telling her that she was a disgrace. Yasmin argued that he had no right to talk to her like that since he himself had been unable to break the imprinting that had bonded him to Emily but her words fell on deaf ears for Sam refused to let his younger sister end up with a bloodsucker.

“You may be my sister but I refuse to have anyone in my pack be with a bloodsucker, so choose Yasmin, it’s either your family or that leech.”

“Samuel!”

“PICK A SIDE!” he roared. “It’s either him or us.”

No one had expected Yasmin to walk out the front door without saying a word, no one had expected her to get in her car and drive off in search of the Cullen’s home, no one had thought her capable of turning her back on everything that she’d ever known for Emmett Cullen but it wouldn’t have made a difference if they had expected her to, she still would’ve done it, she still would’ve left them in the dusk in order to start living her eternity at Emmett Cullen’s side.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you dug it :)