Status: Complete

Past Lives

11

As I kneeled on the bathroom floor, I tried to come up with a plan. Ads was crying, I was hugging her, and I knew that there was one person to blame for this.

Way to go, Brooks. You don't even have to be around her to hurt her.

I knew that Max was being perfect to Ads. He was calling her, texting her. Hell, he had washed the dishes downstairs. But through that all, I knew she was still in love with Brooks. They had been together for years in college, there was no way she was over him. Max was just one more connection between them.

There had to be a way to make this all work.

Ads had been tearily rambling about how Max would want her to go to games and meet his teammates. She was terrified to see Brooks. Brooks had no idea she was in town.

...It was all coming together.

I sat back against the tub and pulled Ads back to look at me. "I have an idea."

She looked at my smirk and wiped her eyes. "What kind of idea?"

"A terrible, wonderful, awful idea." I usually didn't condone this type of behavior, but I felt like in this situation it was completely necessary. Brooks needed to understand the pain he had caused Ads by choosing something else over her. "Ads," I said with a mischievous smile on my face, "how would you feel about dating Max?"

Ads shook her head, eyes tearing up again. "I can't handle seeing Brooks."

"You can't even handle seeing Brooks feel exactly how he made you feel?"

She looked up at that and sniffed. "What do you mean?" She looked interested, but scared. It was a good feeling to go with.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Well...You know that Brooks and Max are friends." I scratched my nose and said, "I know that Brooks was asking about you." Ads looked up in horror and I held up my hand. "Hold on." I gave her a sly smile and said, "Now you know I don't usually agree with this, but I feel it's necessary." Looking straight at Ads, I said, "Date Max. Go to the games. Make Brooks jealous."

Ads looked at me in horror. "I couldn't do that." She shook her head faster and said, "I can't do that to Max."

"Ads..." I felt like an ass. I really did. But Ads needed to know. Even though Max was being adorable to her, who was to say he wasn't simultaneously sweeping three other girls off their feet? "Listen. I didn't want to bring this up because he's been really sweet, but Max has a reputation."

"What kind of reputation?" Ads looked like she was ready to grab the hockey stick from my closet and start gouging people's eyes out. I didn't want her to turn into Dave Forbes.

I shook my head. "He's kind of known as a womanizer." I thought for a second. "Or a manwhore. Whichever you want to go with."

Ads glared at the toilet before nodding. "Let's do it."

--

After Max came back from visiting his family, he texted Ads.

We have a game tonight. Do you want to come?

Max came over on his way to the arena and handed Ads his jersey. "For luck" he had said. He also handed me a Pens hoodie. "You can't wear that Bruins jersey. Come on."

When we got to the arena, Ads looked at me. "I can't do this."

"Yes you can." I led her to Gate One and we showed the tickets Max had given us. Inside, we headed to the Igloo Club. The arena was packed. I saw in dismay that Marc-Andre Fleury was out with a high ankle sprain. I liked watching him play. Ads was super jumpy. She was avoiding opening her iceTime and when she saw "44 - Brooks Orpik" with a picture on the jumbotron, she winced. I patted her shoulder. It would all be worth it.

--

Watching Ads get back into hockey was fun. She remembered more than she thought she would. I could tell she had missed it. Hockey was something she loved.

We met up with the guys after the game. Downstairs, I looked around in awe at the guys. I had to give Pittsburgh credit - they had talent and sex on legs. These guys were hot. I wasn't a puckbunny, but I would have loved to do incredible things to these men. Marc-Andre Fleury was talking to the media on the bench. I saw Sidney Crosby walk to the shower and had to wipe up my drool a little.

Their coach, Michel Therrien walked over. "You're with Max?" We nodded and he smiled. "Nice to meet you." He pointed to the door. "You'll have to wait out here, though."

As Therrien led us out, I heard someone say, "Dude, Max brought two this time?" Ads and I turned around and I realized who had said that.

Brooks was staring at Ads like he had seen a ghost.

Success.