Status: Complete

Past Lives

12

Oh lord, help me get through tonight.

Sitting in our seats in Mellon, I was getting more on edge each second. Max got us amazing tickets, and since I was officially dating him, I owed it to him to attend a game.

“Ads, you got to calm down.” Jamie said grabbing my pouncing knee.

“I.. I just can’t. Shit Jamie. I really cannot do this.”

She grabbed my arm as the guys came out for warm-ups. “You aren’t leaving.”

I sighed and sat back as the boys started to warm up. My eyes landed on Brooks.

He really hasn’t changed at all in six years, I thought as I felt my heart in my throat.

I was in a fog when Jamie elbowed me and pointed to Max. “Look there’s your man.”

I gave a weak smile and tried to watch him, but my eyes kept drifting to Brooks.

Thirty minutes later, the game was under way. And holy shit, did I miss this game. Sitting there watching every hit and every shot on goal brought back every emotion about this sport I have ever had.

Jamie was right; Brooks’ playing style was the same, if not improved.

“He looks good doesn’t he?” Jamie said. She didn’t even need to tell me who she was talking about, it was obvious.

When the game ended, with the Penguins winning 4-1, we headed down to the locker room to meet up with Max.

We were standing in the corner, waiting on him when Coach Therrien walked over and told us to wait outside. As we turned around to walk out the door, we heard someone speak up.

“Dude, Max brought two this time?”

I tensed and grabbed Jamie’s arm before we turned around to see the face of who spoke up.

The one person I didn’t want to see had spotted me, and he looked like he was about to puke.

“Adisyn? Is that really you?” He said as he stepped closer.

I gulped. “In the flesh.”

“But.. But Jamie said you weren’t in town.”

I glanced at Jamie. “She was looking out for me. Now if you don’t mind, we were told to go out in the hallway.”

He followed us out. “Why are you here?”

Jamie spoke up. “It’s a free country Brooks. I didn’t know she would need a permission slip to be at a hockey game.”

I kept looking at the ground as he stepped closer to me. “Jamie told me you haven’t watched a game since we ended, so why are you here?”

I looked up. “I-“

“Hello ladies, and Brooks. Damn man you stink.” Max said as he walked up and gave me a kiss.

Brooks looked from me to Max several times. “You… You are here with him?”

“Ads, you know Brooks?” Max looked concerned.

I wrapped my arm in his. “I did a long time ago. Aren’t we going out?”

Max smiled. “This is why you are perfect. Jamie you tagging along with us?”

She looked from us to Brooks, who looked like he was about to punch something. “No, you guys go ahead. I’ll catch a ride with Scuds or something. Mario’s right?”

I gave her a hug and whispered. “Thanks for the idea.”

Ten minutes later, we walked into Mario’s with a few of his teammates.

“So how did a girl like you end up with a guy like Max?” Jordan asked me as Max left to go get our drinks.

I laughed. “Are you saying Max is incapable of having a decent relationship?”

Jordan took a swig of his beer. “Well yeah. I mean, usually he has a different girl on his arm after every game. But since you came into his life, he has shrugged off every girl he has even been in contact with.”

I looked at him stunned. “Seriously?”

Jordan nodded as we watched Max walk back over. “As serious as a heart attack.”

For the next hour or so, Max and I danced and drank as more and more of the team rolled in. After a few minutes, I saw Jamie walk in.

I ran to her and gave her a hug “Hellooooo gorgeous!”

She laughed. “My my, someone has been having fun.”

“Of course.” I giggled and took another drink of my Jack and coke.

All of the sudden, her face fell.

“What a dick.”

I turned around.

Brooks walked in, with a blonde on his arm.

“He was worried about me with Max when he has his own relationship?”

This game should be very fun.