Status: Complete

Past Lives

2o

I had jumped in Scuds' car after the game to head to Fat Head's. The guys had decided to have a team dinner that night. The way to Carson had been pretty quiet...but Scuds had held my hand the entire time. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. He was my friend. I really enjoyed making out with him. But...I didn't know how I felt about dating him. Maybe I'd just have to see where everything went.

As I climbed out of the car, I spotted Bugsy doing the same. I refused to look at him. He had done nothing but piss me off and hurt me. Why should I offer him the honor of my attention?

I waved as Max and Ads beat us to the door. "Wow, you two made it here faster than I thought you would," Ads said as I shoved her. Scuds blushed. We walked inside and took our seats. The inane chatter distracted me...so did the way Scuds was rubbing my knee under the table. I was going to have to figure things out soon.

I heard the yelling before I saw them.

“Are you fucking kidding me Brooks? Her?”

“Nicole just shut up. You know nothing about her.”

Oh. My. God. I looked up to see Brooks and Nicole walking through the door, yelling at each other.

“Go ahead Brooks. Tell her exactly what you want to.”

I felt Ads stiffen next to me. Scuds squeezed my knee. Everyone else just looked confused. Before Brooks could say anything or incriminate himself, Rob spoke up. "Brooks, Nicole, sit down guys." He smiled. "We already ordered. What do you guys want?"

The two sat down, clearly unhappy. Brooks whipped out his phone and started texting. I wondered if he was texting Rob. My suspicions were confirmed when Rob checked his phone not long after.

It was a pretty tense dinner. Everyone was trying to keep Brooks and Nicole from fighting. I was trying to keep Ads from vomiting. Max was trying to cheer her up. Rob, I could tell, was trying not to rip my pants off.

Ads hadn't said much of anything all night. Finally, she stood up. "I have a headache. I'm going for some air. I'll be back."

Max stood up. "I'll come with you."

Ads shook her head. "I'll be ok, baby." She kissed him. "Don't worry."

She disappeared out the door. I thought about texting her before Brooks stood up. "I left my wallet in my car. I'll be back." He left as well and I looked at Scuds. He nodded once and I sighed. I knew exactly what Brooks was up to. I knew he had gone to talk to Ads. If he upset her anymore...

"Jamie, should I go check on Ads?" Max had jumped into Ads' seat, concern covering his face. I sighed. It wasn't a good idea.

"I'd get let her get some air. It's usually the best way to help an Ads headache."

Max nodded slowly and took a drink. I knew there was something I needed to do. I pulled away from Rob's hold and turned to face Max. "Hey, could I ask you a question?" I started. Max nodded and I took a breath. "That reputation of yours. How are you holding to it?"

He looked confused. "What do you mean?"

"You know," I started. "That one about how you're this huge man-whore. How's that going?" I was being blunt, but I needed to know.

Max shook his head. "Jamie...I haven't seen anyone since I met Ads."

I laughed. "Come on, Max. Really? You expect me to believe that a Canadian Casanova like you hasn't had any flings?"

"Jamie," Max was completely serious. "I swear to you that I haven't seen anyone else. Ads is..." He smiled, clearly remembering something. "Ads is amazing. She's so perfect." Taking a drink, he added, "Any man would be a moron to let her slip away."

And Brooks is obviously an idiot... I nodded, relieved, but...

I was an ass.

It had been my idea for her to lead Max on. It had been my idea for her to use him to make Brooks angry and jealous. I was hurting both of them.

I smiled. I hoped my dread didn't show through. "I'm really glad, Max." I smirked and nodded towards Rob. "Ask Rob what happens when people use my friends."

Rob shivered. "Or sneak up on her..." He rubbed his nose. Max laughed.

"With you," he said with a grin, "I could only imagine."

We continued to talk. About fifteen minutes later (or somewhere around that), Ads came back inside, tears in her eyes. She walked over to Max and he stood up. "Baby, what's wrong?" He kissed her. "Why the tears?"

She shook her head. "Can we just go?"

Max nodded and took her hand. "I'll see you all later."

We all waved goodbye. When Brooks came back inside, Nicole glared at him. "What the hell took you so long?"

Brooks shook his head and mumbled, "Fans wanted autographs."

When Nicole left to go to the bathroom, I glared at Brooks and pulled a pen out of my purse. I scribbled on a napkin and shoved it across the table at him.

"What the hell did you do to her?"