Status: Complete

Past Lives

29

“Home sweet mother fucking home.” Jamie said as we walked in the front door.

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t think I am going to leave my room for, oh, a month or so?”

Jamie plopped down on the couch. “Ads, everything will be okay. Max loves you and, well so does Brooks.” She shrugged. “I think now it is up to you to decide what you want.”

I sighed and walked up the stairs to my room. I laid there for twenty minutes before I heard a knock on the door downstairs.

“Ads you might wanna come down here.” Jamie yelled up the stairs.

I sighed and pushed myself off my bed and walked downstairs to see Colby standing in our foyer.

Jamie laughed. “Oh, you have to hear what he has to say. It is hilarious.”

I crossed my arms. “Well, what is it?”

Colby looked down at the ground. “I am the one that told Sid about the fight.”

“Are you kidding me? So it’s your fault all this shit went down?”

“Well, no. Jamie is the one that decided to play the game on Max.” He looked over to see Jamie staring him down. “Okay fine. Yeah it is. But in my defense, Max deserved to know. He is a good guy that didn’t deserve that.”

I stared at him blankly. “Yeah I know this. But he isn’t the only one hurting.”

He laughed. “Oh trust me I know. Him and Brooks got into it on the bus ride home. Like we are talking if Eaton or Scuds wouldn’t have stepped in, there would have been blood.”

I rubbed my forehead. “Great. This is just perfect. Maybe I should just move back to Boston. That way everyone can go back to being happy without me in the picture.”

“Oh hell no.” Jamie exclaimed. “If they want to be stupid little boys over this bullshit, fine. But you can’t keep running from your problems.”

Colby nodded. “I hate to admit it, but she is right.”

I sighed. “Fine okay. I’ll stay. But Colby, just for future reference, if you find out some news that might hurt the team’s morale, just keep it to yourself.”

He laughed and headed to the door. “Deal. And I apologize again.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. Just get the fuck out.” Jamie said as she walked to the kitchen.

“Hey Colby?”

He turned around. “Yeah?”

“Can you help me out with something?”

--

A few hours later, I knocked on a front door.

The door opened and I saw a tired Brooks.

“Ads?”

“I didn’t mean to wake you up. I can come back.” I said backing off the front step.

He grabbed my arm. “No you are fine. I needed to get up anyways. How did you-“

"Find out where you live? Colby. You can get any piece of information out of him.”

He laughed and allowed me to walk in. I looked around as I walked to sit on the couch.

“You can definitely tell this is a bachelor pad.”

Brooks sat beside me. “Yeah well, don’t really have a woman’s touch to help me out.”

“What about what’s her name?”

“Nicole? Yeah, no.” He laughed. “She was more about spending money and sex.”

“Was?” I said intrigued.

“Yeah, I broke it off with her before the Buffalo trip.” He said looking into my eyes.

“Oh, well that’s horrible.”

He rolled his eyes. “Not really. I have my eye on someone else. But not that I’m complaining, why are you here?”

I sighed I rubbed my hands up and down my thighs. “Okay, here is the deal. I know about the ‘fight’ you and Max had on the way home.”

“Oh yeah well-“

I put a finger on his lips to stop him. “I really don’t want to hear your excuses. But I have an offer for you.”

He raised an eyebrow and sat back. “What kind of offer?”

“One date. And if it goes well, we will see about what happens after that. No funny business.”

His face lit up. “So you are giving me a second chance?”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t jump ahead there dear. I said one date. If what we had before isn’t there anymore, then no.”

He nodded. “Okay deal.”

--

“Jamie! I need help deciding what to wear!” I yelled as I stared at the contents of my closet.

It was a week later and Brooks told me to be ready by 8 pm to go out. Jamie came walking into my room and rolled her eyes.

“Hun. It’s Brooks. I’m pretty sure you can go naked and he will be happy.”

“Yeah but other people won’t be.” I said as I held up a teal sweater dress. “Good?”

She gave me a thumbs up. “I don’t even understand why you are doing this anyway.”

I walked out of my closet dressed running my hands through my hair. “Cause if there isn’t that spark that was there six years ago, I am going to do everything I can to get Max back.”
“And if Max doesn’t want you?”

I slipped on my black heels. “Then I will die an old maiden.”

We both laughed as we heard the doorbell ring.

“I’ll get it.” Jamie said as she walked out of my room.

After finishing my hair and makeup, I walked down the stairs to hear Jamie giving Brooks a lecture.

“… and I swear to god Brooks, you hurt her again, your ass is grass.” Jamie said waving a finger in his face.

I rolled my eyes. “Jamie, would you leave the poor guy alone? I’m pretty sure he still remembers the last time he heard that speech from you when we were in college.”

Brooks looked up and smiled. “You look.. amazing.”

I smiled. “Thanks. You ready to go?”

As we were walking out the door. “I want her back here before midnight mister!”

I rolled my eyes as he opened the car door for me.

“You are trying too hard.” I said getting into the car.

“What? I cannot be a gentleman once in awhile?” Brooks said as he got in and started the car.

I rolled my eyes and got comfortable. “So where are we going?”

“Coal Hill Steakhouse then we are taking a trip on the Incline.”

“My my, you seem to have the whole night planned.” I said as I looked out the window.

“Oh, you have no idea.”

--

About twenty minutes later, we were sitting at a private table.

“Brooks, you really didn’t have to go through all this trouble just for me.”

He took my hand. “I know, but if this could be our last date ever, I wanted it to be special.”

During dinner, he said all the right things and did all the right gestures. To an outsider, you would have thought we never had six years apart.

“What do you mean you have never been on the incline?” Brooks asked as we walked hand in hand.

I shrugged. “I just never found the time to come experience it.”

He smiled. “Well, I am happy your first time will be with me.”

When we got to the top of the hill, I looked out the window.

“Look at this view, Pittsburgh is so gorgeous.”

I felt two arms wrap around me. “That it is. But you still win.”

I turned around to look into Brooks’ eyes. “Tonight has been amazing Brooks. Thank you.”

He smiled. “So does this mean I get my second chance?”

I nodded. “I am just worried about Max.”

He hugged me. “Babe, I think he knew all along that you still loved me. In my opinion, he will be okay.”

“If you say so.”

He pulled back and lifted my chin. “Trust me.” He said as he lowered his lips onto mine.