Status: Complete

Past Lives

37

“Seriously Brooks. This blindfold? So unnecessary.”

I heard my boyfriend laugh. “You can blame Jamie for that.”

I huffed and folded my arms as I sat back in my seat. “But it’s my birthday damnit. I deserve to know what’s going on.”

“What are you? Six? I thought we were over the temper tantrums.”

“If you could see my eyes at the moment Mister Orpik, I would be giving you the death stare.”

“Oh, I am so scared.” I elbowed him. “Ow. Okay first off, I am driving, I really don’t want us to die on your birthday. Second, so not called for.”

“Oh it was so called for.” I said as I felt the car stop. “Can I take this blasted thing off yet?”

“No. Hold on.” He said as he got out of the car. A few seconds later, I heard my car door open and felt him take my hand.

“Okay, step out of the car. I am going to lead you somewhere, I promise not into a wall.”
“I wouldn’t put it past you.” I mumbled.

A few minutes later, he brought me to a stop. “Stand here for a minute. And for god’s sake, keep that blindfold on.”

“Asshole.” I said I felt him let go of my hand.

I stood there for a few minutes before I felt someone’s hand on my shoulders. I immediately tensed up.

“It’s okay Ads, it’s just me.” I heard someone say.

“Yeah the me description? Doesn’t help.”

The person laughed. “It’s Eaton. I am here to lead you on your passage.”

“Oh god. Brooks and Jamie are gonna murder me aren’t they? I knew they were always in love with each other.”

I heard him chuckle as he led me a few more feet and into some building.

“Mark, if this is the end for me. Make sure you tell my parents I love them.”

“Oh would you shut up.” I heard Brooks say as he took the blindfold off for me to see the whole team and several of my friends standing there yelling “Surprise!”

I brought my hands up to cover my mouth. “Oh my god.” I turned to Brooks. “You did this?”

He pointed to Jamie. “Hey, it was all her idea. I just was a good boyfriend and went along with it.”

I ran to Jamie and gave her a huge hug. “And this is why you are the bestest friend in the whole entire world.”

She shrugged. “Hey now, don’t ruin my tough girl image but thinking I went soft.”

I laughed and looked at everyone in Excuses. “Thank you all for coming. I mean it. It-It means a lot.”

Over the next several hours, we all danced and drank. Then Jamie brought out three tiered birthday cake and led everyone in singing ‘Happy Birthday’.

As I stood over the cake getting ready to make a wish, Brooks pulled me close.

“Make it a good wish.” He whispered in my ear.

I know exactly what to wish for.

I smiled and blew out the candles.

Everyone clapped. “Present time!” Jamie announced.

I rolled my eyes. “Really? You guys didn’t have to do this.”

“Just open the damn gifts!” I heard Jordan yell from the bar.

I rolled my eyes and took the first box I saw. “This is from.. Scuds.”

I opened the box to see… “Boxing gloves Scuds? Really?”

Him and Brooks laughed. “Dude you have a mean right hook.” He said rubbing his jaw.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the next one. I opened it up to see a Penguins bear with his own little hockey bag. I smiled.

“Open the hockey bag.” Jamie said with a smirk on her face.

I gave her the ‘what are you up to’ look as I unzipped the bag. When I saw the contents, I couldn’t stop laughing.

“Condoms Jamie? Really?”

She shrugged and elbowed Brooks. “We don’t need any tiny Orpiks running around anytime soon.”

I spent the next half hour opening gifts, everything ranging from gag gifts to clothes and gift cards that I could actually use.

“Wait you forgot one.” Brooks said as he handed me a box.

“Brooks you didn’t have to-“

“Shut up and open the damn box.”

I opened the box to see brochures to places around Bermuda. I gave Brooks a confused look.

“Well I figured you would want to find some places to visit when we go down there this summer.”

My eyes went wide as I jumped up and hugged the love of my life.

“Oh my god Brooks. This-this is amazing.”

He gave me a kiss. “You can thank me later.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the dwindling party. “I guess it is about time to close down this party.”

As Brooks and Craig worked on getting everyone out, me and Jamie started to clean.

“Well well well. It’s been a long time girls.”

I saw Jamie tense up as I turned around to see who was it that spoke.

“Oh my god. Trevor. What are you doing here?”