Status: Complete

Past Lives

42

I woke up to see Craig packing a duffle bag with my clothes. Sitting up, I watched him for a second before saying, "Babe, what are you doing?" I had no idea what was going on.

Craig turned to look at me. "I'm packing a bag for you. You're gonna go stay with Brooks and Ads." He continued throwing jeans, shirts, and his jersey into my bag. I climbed out of bed. "I don't want to put them out," I said quietly. I was ok with staying at my house...as long as Craig was there.

He shook his head. "You're not. I talked to them both while you were sleeping. They want you there." Craig set the bag on the bed and smiled, "I'll let you pack your underwear."

I shook my head and laughed. "You know, Craig," I said with a smirk, "most guys would love an opportunity to raid their girlfriend's underwear drawer." Honestly, I was impressed that he hadn't. I knew any other guy I had been with would have gone there first.

Craig smiled and pulled me close. "Well, I'm not most guys." He kissed me lightly and added, "Finish packing. I want to get you out of here."

I held onto him. "Why can't I just stay with you?" I asked quietly. I felt like a little kid who was being separated from her family. I didn't want to leave him. I felt safe with him.

He rubbed my back. "There'll always be someone home at Brooks and Ads'," he said quietly. "They told me I can stay, too. You're not losing me."

Nodding slowly, I let go of him and went to my top drawer. I pulled out bras, socks and panties, smirking as I saw Craig pretending he wasn't looking. "I know you're looking," I said, laughing.

"No I wasn't," he said slowly, a grin on his face.

I shook my head and threw them into the duffle. Craig wrapped his arms around my waist while I zipped the bag up. He kissed my neck and I felt shivers rock my body. I wanted him so badly. I leaned into him while he kissed my neck again, then pecked my cheek. "We have to go."

I turned and glared at him. "You, Craig Adams, are a tease."

He chuckled. "I couldn't help myself." He took my hand. "I'm sorry, that was mean."

"See if you get any, any time soon."

Laughing, he led me towards the door. "Soon, love."

As we walked downstairs, I saw him peek out the front door. The Mercedes was no where to been found. I was praying to every god from every religion I could think of that he had gone away.

Outside, we climbed into Craig's car and headed towards Ads'. I watched the road ahead, scared that somehow Trevor would crash into Craig to hurt him. Craig seemed tense. I knew he was worried, but it didn't seem like anything was going on. The Mercedes was no where to be found, but it seemed like he was trying not to tell me something.

As we pulled into Ads' and Brooks' driveway, I saw Craig get out and look around before he opened my door for me. "Come on, Jamie, let's get you inside."

Craig knocked and after a second, Brooks opened the door. "Come on in, guys." We stepped in and he closed the door. "Did he follow you?" Brooks asked Craig. Craig shook his head.

"No Mercedes."

Brooks nodded. "Good." He smiled at me and led me upstairs to the guest room. "Here ya go, Jamie." I gave him a weak smile. He hugged me before saying, "We'll get this taken care of." Craig took my bag into the room and I sat on the bed. I just wanted to lie down. Craig sat next to me and rubbed my back.

Brooks leaned on the doorway. "Ads should be back soon."

I nodded and Brooks gave me a forced smile. "This will all work out, Jamie. I promise." He left and went downstairs.

Craig kissed my cheek as I curled into the fetal position. "I'll be back, hun. I have to make a phone call."

Nodding again, I watched as he left the room. I felt silent tears fall down my cheeks. I just wanted this to end.

--

"Come on in."

I looked up as Ads walked in about fifteen minutes later. She laid down next to me and said, "Are you ok?"

I shook my head. I was anything but ok. "He just needs to go away." This never should have happened. He never should have come back. If I had extended that order another three years, I would have been fine. But how could I have known that seven years later this would still be happening?

Ads pushed hair from my face. "I know, hun. We'll figure out a way to end it."

I sniffled, another tear sneaking out. I hated putting them out. This wasn't fair to them. "I feel bad that I'm making you guys watch over me." They shouldn't have to babysit me. I was almost thirty. I should have been able to take care of myself.

“You aren’t making us do anything," Brooks said from the doorway. "We love you and want you to be safe.” I tried to smile. For all those years Brooks and I had butted heads, he really was a good guy and a good friend. I really hoped he and Ads stayed together.

“Jamie, you are safe here. I promise you that,” Ads added. I really wanted to believe her.

The two of them left and I was alone again. When I was scared, alone was a bad thing for me to be. My mind shot to all the worst-case-scenarios. What if he found me? What if he went after Brooks or Craig? What if he targeted Ads? I couldn't let the people I love get hurt for me. I just couldn't.

Craig walked in the room again and laid down behind me, pulling me close. "I will never let him hurt you, Jamie. Never," he whispered in my ear. I fell asleep in his arms, hoping it was true.

--

I woke up a few hours later, not realizing I had fallen asleep. There was a note on the nightstand.

Jamie,

Craig and Brooks are at practice. I'm organizing boxes in the basement.


I stood up and stretched, deciding to go get some water. As I started down the stairs, I heard a loud crash. I didn't know whether to hide or make sure Ads was alright. I figured she had dropped a box, so I ran down the stairs to check on her. As I reached the bottom, though, I was grabbed from behind.

"Miss me?"

Everything went black.