Status: Complete

Past Lives

45

A couple weeks later, everything was sort of back to normal. The guys were focused on trying to make the playoffs and both Jamie and I continued with our normal routine of work and hanging out whenever we could.

Jamie was still staying with Brooks and I, saying ‘she wasn’t ready to stay alone yet’, which meant Craig pretty much lived with us too.

The fight for the playoffs came right down to the wire, when we clinched fourth place, in the last game of the season against the Canadiens. The guys didn’t have much time to celebrate due to the face the playoffs started four days later.

“You know babe, I might like you with a full beard.” I said as I sat on our bathroom counter shaving Brooks’ face.

“Well, you better, cause it’s gonna be that way for awhile after this.”

“So no more shaving?”

He shook his head. “No more shaving.”

“How about sex? Is sex out of the question too?” I asked as I put more shaving cream on his face.

He pulled me closer. “Ads, sex is NEVER out of the question.”

I laughed and just shook my head.

As he was washing the remnants of shaving cream off his face, Jamie walked in.

“Seriously, is there anything you guys don’t do together?”

“Yeah, we don’t take shits together, that would just be too awkward.” Brooks answered.

“That and he would probably kill me with the smells.” I said as I hopped off the counter.

Jamie rolled her eyes. “Anyways, the hospital called Ads. They want you to call them back as soon as you can.”

As I walked into our room, I heard Brooks yell that I wasn’t allowed to work tonight.

“Why not?” I asked as I dialed the number.

“Game one against the Flyers. You cannot miss it.” Brooks stated.

I rolled my eyes as I heard my boss answer the phone.

“Hey Sam, it’s Adisyn. You called?”

“Yes. I know it is short notice, but thanks to cutbacks we have slim to none nursing staff in the Cardiac ward tonight. Now I know you are head of Peds, but I was wondering if you would come in tonight and work in cardiac.”

I bit my lip.”What time?”

“Midnight shift. So you can show up about 11 and work 11 to 11. Sound good?”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll see you then.”

After I hung up I turned around to see Brooks staring at me, I held up my hands.

“Calm down killer, I am working after the game. So I won’t miss you kicking some ass.”

---

A few hours later, the boys left for the rink and Jamie and I got ready.

“You aren’t gonna actually wear scrubs to the game are you?”

I laughed and showed her my bag that I packed. “No, I’m not that nuts. I’ll just change at work.”

We threw on our respectable jerseys and drove to Mellon.

“People are crazy come playoff time.” Jamie said as she looked out the window to see some fans decked out in white body paint.

“True fans there. Remember when we used to paint our faces and make shirts at BC? We were diehard.”

Jamie laughed. “Didn’t help we were dating part of the team.”

As we walked into the building, we were handed rally towels and white shirts to participate in the white out. When we got to our seats, you could feel the intensity of the playoff atmosphere.

A little over four minutes into the game, we could tell this game was mostly one sided. The pressure was placed on Biron as Crosby scored the first goal, but under the controversy of the puck being kicked in Jamie and I jumped up and screamed so loud when the ref announced that the goal stood.

The next tally on the board didn’t come until the next period, when Kennedy scored a minute and a half in by a nice feed from Staalzy. We were dominating this game, and I highly doubted that neither me nor Jamie would have voices by tomorrow.

The third period was just as excited as the first two, as Geno scored on a bad deflection by Biron and Eaton scored on a slap shot from the point. The boys ended up taking game one, 4-1.

Jamie and I stood the entire game, screaming and cheering on our boys. As we walked down to the lounge to meet up with the boys, we joined in on the ‘Let’s Go Pens’ chants taking place throughout the arena.

I stood there talking to Jamie about the next game when Craig and Brooks walked out.

“Babe, shouldn’t you be going to work?” Brooks asked as he gave me a kiss.

I looked at my watch and realized it was 10:30. “Shit yeah. What are you guys gonna do tonight?”

“I think I am gonna borrow Jamie from Adsy tonight.” Brooks said.

Jamie just stared at him. “Now I am scared.”

I laughed and gave Brooks a kiss. “Be nice you two. I guess I will see your lovely faces tomorrow afternoon.”