Status: Complete

Past Lives

49

“You sure you don’t wanna come to Philly?

I rolled my eyes as I pulled up to the airport. “Jamie, I already heard this whole spiel from Brooks. I have to work.”

Jamie laughed as she got out. “Okay fine. Leave me to make sure no one gets killed.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’ll talk to you later. Have fun.”

As I pulled away from the airport and headed back into Pittsburgh, my phone vibrated telling me I had a text message.

You are gonna help me pull a prank.

I rolled my eyes. Oh Maxime. What do you have planned.

On who and what is it?

Brooks. I’ll call you when we land in Philly.

Oh, this should be good.

---

Later on that day, as I was getting ready for work, the phone rang. When I looked at the caller ID, it was a Massachusetts number. Figuring it was Brooks’ parents, I answered.

“Is this Adisyn Hunter?”

“Yes?” I answered skeptically.

“This is Derek Fletcher from the Children’s Hospital here in Boston. How are you today?”

I sat down on the bed. “I am pretty good today, how about yourself?”

“Very well. I am calling you because we received your resume as a recommendation for the Nursing Director job up at this hospital.”

“Oh, really? That’s wonderful.” I said excitedly.

“It is. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to come attend an interview.”

I bit my lip. “How about next Friday?”

“Next Friday works wonderfully. Say, 3 pm?”

“That works. See you then.”

After I hung up, I did a happy dance around my room. This was the job I was wanting since I graduated, and it was finally within grasp. I stopped abruptly when I saw a picture of me and Brooks.

Fuck. How was I going to tell Brooks and Jamie?

Before I could decide anything, my phone went off. I looked at it to see Max calling.

“So what is this grand plan you and Marc came up with?”

“Well, we don’t really know quite yet. That is why I got you involved.”

I felt a smile creep on my face. “I am so evil, but I have the most perfect one ever.”

“Oh do share love.”

“Tell him I am pregnant, with your child.”

I heard him have a laughing fit. “Oh why did you and Brooks still have to be hot and bothered about each other. We could have been an amazing team.”

“We have to get Jamie in on it. She would kill me if I didn’t.”

“Well, call her and then let me know what is going on.”

After we hung up, I quickly dialed Jamie’s number.

“You miss me already Ads?”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t let your ego get too big. I need your help with something.”

“Okay?”

“Max, Flower, and I are pulling a prank on Brooks, and I need your help.”

“Oh I am liking this. What are you pulling?”

“Telling him I am pregnant with Max’s spawn.”

“He is gonna kill you.”

I laughed. “Nah. He loves me too much. But here is the plan, I am going to three way Max and then you are going to go give your phone to Brooks.”

“Yeah can’t you just call him?”

“Cause it will be like I just told you. Duh.”

Jamie laughed. “Okay fine. Get Max on the line.”

After we got the stories straight, Jamie went to go knock on Brooks’ door.

“I cannot believe I am doing this.” I heard her say before she knocked.

I heard her tell Brooks who was on the phone.

“Hey guys.” I heard Brooks say.

“Dude. You just gotta listen for the next few minutes okay?” Max said in a serious tone.

“Yeah of course.”

“I mean, we have something big to tell you.”

“Just tell me.”

I faked sobbed. “Baby, you are gonna hate me forever. But I am pregnant."

“Ads, baby, don’t cr- WAIT YOU’RE WHAT?”

“I’m pregnant, but it isn’t yours, I am so sorry. It’s Max’s” I continued my faked sob.

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN, ‘I’M PREG-‘“ I heard him throw the phone and a banging on a phone.

I started to laugh as I heard Jamie speak up.

"Max, why the hell did you get Flower in on this?"

"He's the king of pranks."

"Yes, and you're about to die a very painful death as soon as that door breaks down."

I rolled my eyes. “It was only a joke.”

“And such a bitch move.” I heard her state.

I sighed. “I know, I know.”

I heard a crack. “Maybe you should tell him now, before your ex is a dead man.”

I laughed. “Put him back on the phone.”

She called for him and Brooks yelled something back about killing Max before taking the phone back.

“Babe, I cannot even-“

“It’s a joke Brooks. I am not pregnant and sure as hell haven’t been touched by anyone but you in a long time. Calm down.”

“What do you mean a joke?”

“Max called me and asked for my help with a prank him and Marc wanted to pull on you. And they didn’t know what to do. So I came up with this one. Don’t hate me. I love you.” I ended with a smile.

I heard him sigh. “You are so lucky I love you too. Max was about to be dead. Payback will be had, you do know this.”

I laughed. “Oh I know, and I cannot wait. But, good luck tonight. Take out your anger on those Philly Cryers.”

I heard him chuckle. “I’ll make sure of it. I will call you after the game. Have fun at work.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh yes. Tons of fun to be had.”

After we hung up, I realized I forgot to tell either one of them about my job offer.

Maybe I can keep it a secret for a little bit.

Hopefully?