Status: Complete

Past Lives

51

I tossed my phone on the bed as I finished packing for my trip to Boston.

I shouldn’t have yelled at Jamie like I did, but she just needs to let shit go, I thought.

Maybe I should have told her. I tell her everything.

As I was walking out the door to head to the airport, my phone rang. Without looking at it, I answered.

“Hey babe.” Brooks said.

I smiled as I threw my bag in my passenger seat. “Hey. How was the flight?”

“Good. You getting ready to head to work?”

“Yeah I am.” Shit. I hate lying to him. “Why?”

“Just wondering. Jamie came by earlier and-“

I cut him off. “And she told you that she thinks I’m lying.”

“Well yeah. But I told her you don’t have any reason to lie to me.”

I sighed as I pulled onto 376. “Exactly. I am pulling into the parking lot. I will call you later tonight.”

After we said our goodbyes and hung up, I threw my phone into the seat beside me.

Why is Jamie all the sudden worried about my shit? Glad to know she finally dug her head out of Craig’s ass.

Okay. Maybe that is a little harsh.

When we fight, we go all out. Nothing is held back, and I mean, if something was bothering us in college and we didn’t mention it, it comes out during our fights.

Then again, that’s what you get when you have two hard headed bitches fighting.

After I got checked in and made it to my gate, I checked my phone again to see a text from Jamie.

I know you are lying about something. And I will find out.

What a bitch. She needs to step the fuck off.

Why don’t you insert your head back into Craig’s ass and keep it there?

What the fuck has crawled up your ass Ads?

Absolutely fucking nothing. Just you being all up in my business acting like I am lying about shit. Get the fuck over it.

You are a fucking bitch Ads.

Thanks for the compliment

I turned my phone off and put it in my purse before loading the plane. Fuck her.

---

After I landed, I realized I forgot to book a hotel.

Fuck my life. My only resort was my mother.

I sighed as I dialed the number. I haven’t seen my family in three years. This could be interesting.

“Hello?”

“Hey mama, it’s Adisyn.”

“Hey baby, what’s up?”

“Well I just landed in Boston for a job interv-“

She cut me off. “You are in Boston?! You better be coming to see your mama. I miss you.”

I laughed. “That is actually why I am calling. See, in my rush, I forgot to book a hotel room. And I was wondering if I could stay there for a couple days.”

“Adisyn Grace. You know you don’t have to ask. This will always be your home.”

After hanging up with her, I went to go catch a cab. I loved my mother. After my father died when I was 16, she was a rock. Making sure I still had everything I needed, and still went to the college of my dreams. I owed her so much.

When the cab pulled up in front of my childhood home, I saw the front door open and my mama run out the door. I laughed as I paid the cabbie and stepped out.

When she got to me, she engulfed me in a hug. “Oh it is so good to see my baby girl. It has been too long.”

I hugged her back, taking in her scent. The smell of cotton and homemade cookies. “I know mama. It’s good to actually have time to come home.”

As we walked into the house, I looked around. Nothing seemed to have changed since I was a child. The family portrait taken when I was 12 was still hanging over the mantle. I smiled.

“So tell me, how is Pittsburgh?” She said as she led me to the couch to sit down.

“Good. The job is good, life is good.”

“You and Brooks still together?” She said with a smile.

I laughed. “Yes mama. As strong as ever.”

“Good. I always liked that boy.”

I shook my head. “Of course you did. That is why you offered to rip his balls off when he broke my heart in college right?”

“Well he deserved it. How about Jamie? She still in Pittsburgh?”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah I guess.”

“Uh oh. What happened? Tell me everything.”

I told her everything from me getting the job offer of my life and not telling them to Jamie suspecting I was lying and our fight.

“Ads, I think you should tell them.” She said as she took a sip of her tea.

“What? Why?”

“Cause first off, she is your best friend and he is your boyfriend. Second of all, you and Jamie fighting is never good. She is only worried about you hun.”

“But I-“

“No buts Adisyn Grace. If you don’t tell them, at least apologize to Jamie. ” She said sternly.

“Yes mama.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

“Okay good. Now go get some rest. You need a good night of it for your interview tomorrow.”

“Alright I love you mama. Thank you.” I said as I got up.

“I love you too baby girl. And don’t worry about it. Like I said, this will always be your home.”

---

The next afternoon I walked into the Children’s Hospital nervous as hell. I have done interviews before, but this was for the job I have been dreaming about.

“Adisyn Hunter?”

I turned around to see a man in a lab coat walking up behind me.

“Yes. And you must be Derek Fletcher.” I reached out to shake his hand.

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you. Shall we?” He said as he led the way to his office.

Once we got into his office, he offered me a chair.

“So you have been the head nurse for the Peds ward at UPMC for five years?”

I nodded. “Yes. I also step in on other floors when necessary. We had to cut back on some staff.”

He nodded and looked down at what I presumed was my resume. “And you went to Boston College?”

I smiled. “Yes. That was my dream from when I was a little girl. Both my parent are alumni so it was sort of in my blood.”

He chuckled. “Graduated top of your class?”

“A lot of hard work. I have to confess something, I know this in no way will affect the interview, but ever since I graduated, this job opportunity was my dream.”

“Well looking at your resume and hearing from all the references, I would say you are qualified, if not overly qualified, for this job. And that is why I would be honored to offer it to you.”

My eyes went wide. “Seriously?”

He smiled and nodded. “Seriously. Now you do not have to decide right away. Cassie, who is the nursing director right now, doesn’t retire until July. So the latest we will need to know is the beginning of June.”

I nodded and stood up to shake his hand. “Oh thank you so much. I will be sure to stay in touch.”

As I walked out of the hospital, I went to dial Jamie’s number but stopped myself.

She doesn’t know I even had the job opportunity. I had no one to celebrate with.

I drove back to my mama’s house contemplating if I should just tell Jamie. But I knew if I did, Brooks would find out, and then I would be stuck between choosing my job and Brooks.

I walked into my mama’s house and plopped down on the couch. She came in with a tray of fresh cookies and milk.

“How did the interview go?”

“I have the job.”

“Adisyn that is exciting!” She said as she hugged me.

I laughed. “Thanks, I have until June to decide if I want it or not.”

“Why wouldn’t you?”

“Cause I have a life in Pittsburgh with Brooks. I don’t know if I want to give that up.”

“This is why you need to tell him.” She said as she handed me the phone. “Quit being dumb Adisyn and call him and let him know. He will be happy for you and tell you to take it. I can guarantee it.”

“It’s not that simple mama! I don’t want to lose him again.”

“What makes you say you would lose him?”

“Because he is in Pittsburgh most of the year. We would probably grow apart.”

“Distance makes the heart grow fonder.”

I rolled my eyes. “If you say so.”

My mom turned me to face her. “Listen baby girl. Believe me on this. I know what I am talking about. Me and your father were apart for 4 years once.”

I raised my eyebrow. “Wait when?”

“When I was pregnant with you and the first few years of your life. He was working in San Francisco and I didn’t want to leave Boston.”

“You didn’t doubt your relationship at all?”

She shook her head. “Not one bit. Mind you, it was hard. Only having the phone to talk to each other every night. But it made us realize how much we really loved each other when we saw each other again.”

I smiled and gave her a hug. “Thanks mama.”

“No problem. Now are we gonna watch your boy kick some ass tonight?”

I smiled. “You are secretly in love with Brooks aren’t you?”

She laughed and turned on the NHL network. “Maybe I am.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the slow updates. we are both in school.
we will post when we can :D