Status: Complete

Past Lives

54

I sat down in Fatheads and waited for Ads. I just wanted the truth. I hated fighting with her, but I hated being lied to even more. I picked at a piece of lint on my shirt as I waited. It was taking her forever.

My phone buzzed and I smiled at the text from Craig. I'm making dinner tonight. Italian or Chinese? That man was amazing. Grinning, I responded, "Chinese" as I heard the door open. I looked up to see Ads walking in looking like...I didn't even know.

"Damn, Ads, you look like shit," I said bluntly as she sat down.

She rolled her eyes at me and responded, “I don’t even want to talk about it. By chance, not saying this means anything, have you heard from Brooks today?”

Brooks finally came to his senses? Had he finally realized that I was telling the truth about Ads' lie? I couldn't help it when I felt a small smile sneak across my lips. Finally, I wasn't the liar. Whatever Ads was lying about, Brooks had caught her. “So you and Brooks had a bad fight. What was it about?”

The waitress came for Ads order and she put in for her food and two shots of vodka. “He went by the hospital to surprise me last night on his way home, and I wasn’t there.”

Brooks really had caught her. Whatever was going on was huge, I could just feel it. Sipping my drink, I rolled my eyes. “Oh so now he believes me. Perfect.” After all that crap about how I didn't trust my best friend and I was being an idiot, now he realized I was right. Awesome.

It seemed like Ads downed the shots before the waitress set them down. “Why do you two think you guys always have to be right on everything?”

I glared at her. “I thought you wanted to make peace?” I wasn't in the mood for her bull.

Ads sighed and said, “I do, just… if I tell you the truth, can you keep it a secret? I really, and I mean really, do not want Brooks to find out, it will cause even more problems between us.”

My mind shot to the worst case scenario. “Oh my God, you're cheating on him aren’t you?” After everything with Max and then the past year, Ads was throwing it all away.

“I would never do that to him, you should know that.”

I raised my eyebrow. "Then what is it Ads? What don’t you want Brooks to find out?” This was huge. Whatever was going on was going to be insanely ridiculous.

Ads seemed to fight with herself for a minute. My mind was buzzing; I wanted to know. Whatever she was about to tell me was -

“I was in Boston for a job interview. I got offered the Nursing Director position at the Children’s Hospital.”

My buzzing brain flatlined. This job was Ads' dream. Ever since we were in college, Ads had wanted that job. She had wished and hoped and dreamed that it would be hers. Now it had been offered to her.

Why the hell would she stay in Pittsburgh.

Oh my God, Brooks. Brooks wants to marry her. Brooks doesn't know about this. Brooks is going to be heartbroken.

"Ads, that's awesome!"

"What's with the fake smile, Jamie?"

Shit.

"I...I'm going to be honest, Ads." I couldn't tell her about Brooks' plan, but I could tell her how I felt. "You have to make the best decision for you. But there's a couple things you should consider."

"Yeah?"

I nodded. "What about Brooks? What about your job here?"

Ads had nothing to say. I decided to keep talking, but she cut me off. "He left me for his job..."

"Ads, did you consider that this is how Brooks felt before he left? The conflict, the uncertainty? Did you ever consider that this is the exact argument he had?"

"Well then, I can make the same choice he did."

"Do you really want to lose him again, Ads? You guys are older now, you're more committed. I've never seen any couple more perfect for each other. You really need to talk to him about this."

Ads shook her head. "I don't want to distract him. It's the playoffs."

I crossed my arms. "Are you asking the master of evil plans for help?"

"Yes."

Thinking, I tried to figure out a plan for her. I didn't want to lie to Brooks, so I wasn't getting involved. We couldn't tell Craig, so he was out. This was going to be hard. How could I convince Brooks that his girlfriend was at a conference when she was really looking at leav-

"Ask someone from the hospital."

"What?" Ads asked as she looked up. "What do you mean?"

This was too easy. I needed to stop being the one behind evil plans. "Have one of your friends call Brooks and ask if you have the notes from the conference because you went in her place. She had to stay home with a sick kid."

Ads jumped up and hugged me. "You're a genius."

"I know, I know."

Getting that elephant out of the room, we made up. Nothing like a conspiracy to start the day.

--

I walked into Craig's house that night to the smell of teriyaki, chicken and veggies. Sneaking into the kitchen, I saw my tall boyfriend bending over a skillet. I had to take advantage of that. I would be a bad girlfriend if I didn't.

Slipping up behind him, I wrapped my arms around his waist and slid my hands into his front pockets.

"Jamie...do you want me to burn your dinner?" He turned around to face me and bent down to give me a kiss.

I pouted. "I guess not."

He laughed. "Don't worry, love," he said as he slid his hands into my back pockets. "Don't you worry."

I felt like no matter how good dinner was, it was desert I was looking forward to.

--

Ads and I sat outside the guys' locker room a few nights later after their loss to the Caps. Only Sid and Mark had notched goals and the guys were pretty pissed. It wasn't about who scored, but how everyone played. Everyone was blaming themselves.

I watched as Sid walked through the doors and headed towards the bus. There was something in the way he was walking that made me want to run up and hug him. I could tell he was putting everything on himself. Ads nodded towards the stairs. "Let's just meet them at the hotel." I nodded. It was for the better.

--

I walked down the hall towards Craig's door. I wasn't going to try to seduce him this time; I just wanted to talk to him. Knocking lightly, I waited for a response.

Nothing.

I knocked again, a little heavier.

Nothing.

This time, I knocked normally and waited. The door opened after a few seconds and Craig crossed his arms. "What, Jamie?"

His tone was dripping with a "what are you doing here?" vibe. I was confused. "I just wanted to talk. I know you're upset and-"

"Save it, Jamie."

The perfect little world that had built up was starting to crumble. I was confused. Usually Craig was happy when I tried to cheer him up. He usually came looking for me. This time...

I shook my head. "Craig, what's-"

"I just want to be left alone."

I could understand that, but..."Ok. I just wanted to help. You don't have to bite my head o-"

"Jamie, go away."

I wasn't dealing with this. There was a line between annoyed and douchey. Craig had crossed it. "Listen. I get that you're upset. I'm sorry that I give a damn and wanted to try to help. You don't have to be an asshole about it."

Craig rolled his eyes. "I have one bad night and now I'm an asshole?"

"You're an asshole for taking your bad night out on me!" I could feel tears welling, but I fought them back. I was not going to cry.

Leaning on the door frame, Craig said, "Oh yeah? Well maybe if you weren't so damn cling-"

"I'M CLINGY?" I was so over this. "Who's the one who won't let me move back into my house until the playoffs are over? Who's the one who texted me during intermission all through the Flyers series? Who's the one who-"

"ALRIGHT, I GET IT!"

I shook my head. I couldn't hold off tears much longer. "You know what, Craig? If you're going to be a pissy bitch because you had the second-least amount of ice time tonight, fine. But I'm not going to listen to you complain. I'm going out. Don't bother looking for me."

I stormed downstairs to Ads' and my room. I had no idea what was going on. It wasn't like they had swept the Flyers, but Craig didn't explode on me then. I felt the tears stream down my cheeks as I unlocked the door and stepped inside.

Ads looked at me and rushed over. "What happened?"

I crossed my arms and slid down the door to sit on the floor. "Craig's an asshole." I just let the tears flow.