Status: Complete

Past Lives

6o

Ads' mom had gotten into Pittsburgh yesterday. We lined it all up to take her to all the fun places: the Strip, Squirrel Hill, Carson Street, Station Square. She was having a blast as we walked down the Strip that first day.

Mama Hunter had always been a spitfire and I loved it. She made comments about the hot men we saw that could have made Captain Serious or Sid blush. The best part was how much she adored the city. We promised to take her on the incline...but only under the stipulation that she had to go at night.

I had to work that night, though, so she went with Ads to the Mon. After the shift I worked until close (groan), I drove home and crashed in my bed. I was exhausted. I had sweet dreams that night of the Stanley Cup coming out at the Igloo and the epic celebration Craig and I would have together.

Buzz

Was I hearing Boys of Winter in my sleep? Oh hell, yeah. It only made the dream that much more epic. The guys were handing off the Cup to one another and Ads and I were kissing our men.

Buzz

The music grew louder. I couldn't believe the noise in the arena. I had never heard the old Igloo so loud. Granted, it didn't hurt the epic nature of the event. We still couldn't stop smiling for the guys. They had earned it.

Buzz

Even louder? My dreams had never been that vivid. I rolled over and felt something hit me from my book shelf.

Buzz

...It was my phone ringing.

I answered the phone without checking the caller. I didn't tolerate being woken up on only four hours of sleep. What was wrong with people? Groaning, I answered, "Someone better be dead or dying, I don't care who you are." The night before had been a rough one. Two fights, throwing out a guy for grabbing my ass. A drunk who had a cab called for him by the bar...I just wanted to sleep.

"Sorry, Jamie..."

"Brooks, I swear to God -"

The time-challenged-bastard cut me off. "Jamie, I needed to know if I can come over for lunch with Carrie. I want to tell her the plan so we can get all the logistics figured out."

I sighed. "You couldn't have asked me this in advance?"

I imagined Brooks shaking his head. "I would have, but I thought I could have you over here. But Ads won't be gone to work until it's too late."

Fighting the urge to punch Brooks, I said, "Ok, ok. Come over around 12:30." I couldn't believe I was doing this. "I'll make chicken and whatever."

"Thanks, Jamie!"

He hung up.

I flopped against my pillow. I really wished he would have given me some warning. Now I had to figure out what I was going to do. I knew Carrie liked chicken. We all liked mushrooms. Peppers were always good...

Climbing out of bed, I grabbed my p.j. pants. I just wanted to go back to bed. Instead what was I doing? Figuring out lunch for my adoptive mom and soon to be brother-in-law.

I'll be back bed. I still love you. Please take me back.

--

Carrie walked into the house with Brooks to the smells of chicken with mushrooms and peppers and a pot of baked rigatoni. I thought it would be acceptable. Apparently it smelled even better than I thought it did -- Carrie tackled me and Brooks looked impressed.

"Oh, Jamie, this is gonna be amazing!" Ads' mom sounded like she was our age and it made me smile. She was an amazing friend.

I hugged her. "Aw, I'm glad you think so!"

Brooks looked at the table spread with food. "Where's your food, ladies?"

I threw a hot pad at him. "Shut up, Brooks, and sit down."

As we all sat eating, I filled Carrie in on my life. I told her about looking for a broadcasting job while I worked at Excuses. I told her about the Trevor incident. She choked on her chicken and threatened to disown her son.

When I finished my story, Carrie smiled. "I'm so glad you all invited me down here," she said with a grin. "I was so upset you all couldn't come to Boston with Ads when she stayed with me during her job interview."

My blood ran cold and I felt all color drain from my face. Brooks looked like he was going to vomit. Carrie looked at us both. "What is it?" She shook her head. "What's wrong?"

Clearly, Carrie was unaware that Brooks was unaware.

He shook his head. "What...what job interview?" Brooks scratched his head. "When was she in Boston?"

Carrie covered her mouth. "You mean she hadn't told you?" I knew from the look on her face that she didn't know what to say. "Oh, Brooks...I'm sorry...I didn't mean for you to find out this way..."

Brooks shook his head again in disbelief. "I...Carrie...why I invited you down here..." He was going to vomit.

Carrie cocked her head. "What do you mean?"

Brooks gave her a small, sad smile. His heart was breaking. "I...Carrie...I'm going to ask your daughter to marry me. I wanted you here for it."

She was on her feet and hugging Brooks within seconds. I smiled. It was happy, but forced. I could only imagine what Brooks was going through. That would be like Craig asking to be traded. It would break my heart. Poor Brooks was ready to spend the rest of his life with my best friend and she was considering leaving the city.

I didn't know what to do. I wanted to support everyone, but I didn't know how.

I needed to figure it out.

Carrie squealed. "Brooks, I wouldn't have my daughter marry anyone else. You two were always meant to be."

I only hoped Ads would see that.

We plotted and planned for the big question for a while before Brooks had to head to the arena for a meeting and I needed to go to work. I just wanted everyone to be happy.

--

I sat in my car at a red light and texted Ads.

I love you. Please don't go to Boston.

Why?

Your boyfriend is going to propose.

As much as I wanted to send that text, I knew I couldn't. Brooks would have killed me. He was putting a lot into the proposal. I deleted the last text and sent, Just...please...

I heard the front door unlock an hour later after I got home and smiled as Craig walked in. He was the only one keeping me sane. I jumped off the couch and threw my arms around him. As I buried my head in his chest, Craig pulled me close. "Are you ok, baby?"

I shook my head, 'no.' Craig kissed the top of my head. "Why, Jamie? What happened?"

Tears welled in my eyes. I had turned into a sap. "Ads might move back to Boston!"

--

Craig had been met with shock. Brooks was met with fury, neglect, sorrow, and helplessness. He needed a way to win her and make sure she stayed with him. "I can't lose her again, Jamie..."

Wasn't that the same thing Ads had gone through with Brooks? I pointed this out and Brooks almost cried. "I ruined her with that..."

I knew he was serious.

It was time to see how serious.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this is so short, but I want a katey chapter and i'm falling asleep. :(