Status: Complete

Past Lives

61

“Brooks are you sure? I am sure I can find her something to do at the hospital. It’s only a six hour shift.” I said as I rushed around our room getting ready for work.

Brooks laughed. “Babe don’t worry. Me and your mother will find something to do. I will take her out to eat or something and give her a tour of the ci-“

“Darling, I already gave her the tour. Shit, maybe I should just call off.”

He grabbed my shoulders. “Ads calm down. I got this. Don’t worry.”

I bit my lip. “Okay fine. But if you-“

He put his hand to my mouth. “If I need anything, call you. I know. You need to relax. Your mother loves me.”

I shook my head as I walked out the door to head downstairs. “That is what I am afraid of.”

“What are you afraid of?” I heard my mama say when I walked into the living room.

“How well you to will get along cause you love him.”

She laughed. “What can I say, if he were 20 some years older, I would be after his nuts.”

“Mama!” I yelled as I heard Brooks laughing behind me.

I turned around and stared at him. “Not funny mister.”

He shrugged. “I am taking it as a compliment love.”

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my purse. “I am sure you do. I will be back around seven. You two behave yourselves.”

As I walked out the door, I heard my mama yell, “I don’t know about that!”

---

I pulled into my driveway around seven that night, looking forward to relaxing with a glass of wine, my boyfriend, and my mama after a long, disastrous day at work. But as I walked up through the front door, Brooks pushed past me.

“Wait. Where are you going?”

Without stopping or turning around, he mumbled he was going out and not to wait up.

What the fuck.

I shook my head and headed into the kitchen where I saw my mama pouring two glasses of wine.

“You always seem to read my mind.” I said as I took a glass and took a sip.

She grinned and shook her head. “It’s a mama’s job to know what her daughter needs before she asks. So how was work?”

I sat on the counter and started to sing my legs. “Long, stressful, everything that could possibly go wrong did. What did you and Brooks do?”

“Went out for lunch and then just walked around Pittsburgh.”

I rolled my eyes. “So much fun. Did he say where he was running off to tonight? I was kinda looking forward to a nice night in with you two.”

She bit her lip as she swirled her wine around. “Something about going out to get some beers with the guys I do believe.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Mama. What are you hiding?”

“Adisyn Grace, why do you think I am hiding something from you?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know mama, I just think you are. Sorry.”

She gave me a hug. “There is nothing to hide, I promise you. Why don’t you just go upstairs and take a bath. You will feel better.”

I gave her a weak smile and I walked up the stairs to start my bath. As I sat there waiting for the tub to fill up, I texted Brooks.

Are you okay? You seemed upset earlier.

I waited a few minutes, and as I went to go get in the tub, my phone pinged.

I’m fine

I bit my lip and climbed into the tub and closed my eyes.

Something isn’t right.

---

A few days later, I stood in my closet, debating on what to take to Detroit for the first two games.

“You don’t have to go to Detroit for the games if you don’t want to.”

I turned around to see Brooks leaning against the door frame.

“What are you talking about Brooks?”

“You can stay here and work if you want. I’m not gonna force you to go.”

I narrowed my eyes as I placed my hands on my hips. “So let me get this straight. You throw a huge fucking fit when I don’t go to Philly for the games cause of work, but now since it is the finals, you are telling me to stay home and work? It makes no sense.”

He shrugged as he grabbed his suit bag and threw it on the bed. “It’s not a big deal.”

I threw my hands up as I walked out of the closet. “Brooks what the hell is wrong? The past few days you have been distant and out with the guys all the time. I have barely seen you.
And now you are telling me you don’t want me in Detroit with you?”

He finished zipping up his suitcase. “It’s not a big deal okay Adisyn. Just drop it. I have to go meet the guys to catch the plane. I will see you in Detroit if you wanna come.”

As he walked out our room and shut the door, I threw the closest thing I could at it. As I saw it hit the door and shatter, I realized what it was.

It was the picture of us from a couple months ago when we had a night in with several other players and their wives and girlfriends, where we were in the middle of some game just smiling at each other, one of my favorite pictures.

I went and picked it up and started to cry.

Maybe it would be better if I just left.

---

A couple days later, we sat in Joe Louis Arena and watched the boys lose 3-1. I stopped Jamie before she headed down to meet up with the guys.

“Hey I am just gonna go back to the hotel. If Brooks wants to talk, he can come find me.”

She looked worried as she nodded her head. “Your mom going with you?”

“No, I will go down with you if that is fine.” She piped in.

I nodded and watched them head down towards the locker room as I headed out to grab a cab to the hotel.

A few hours later, Jamie and my mom came back to the room with a sandwich from the local deli.

I took a bite. “Brooks didn’t come down with you guys?”

They gave each other glum looks and shook their heads.

“He said he wanted to be alone.” Jamie said as she looked at the ground.

What the fuck.

I threw the sandwich down on the bed and marched out of the room. When I got to Brooks’ door, I pounded on it until he answered.

“What do you want?”

I narrowed my eyes. “Are you cheating on me?”

His eyes went wide. “Ads I would never. I would hurt myself if I ever thought about it.”

“Then what the fuck is wrong with you? You are distant and barely want to talk to me. And after every game you usually come down to my room and relax, win or lose.”

“It’s.. it’s nothing Ads. I just wanted to be alone tonight okay? I will call you tomorrow.” He said as he shut the door in my face.

I walked back to my room in a daze. When I entered the room, Jamie ran up to me.
“What’s wrong?”

“I think Brooks is thinking about ending our relationship.”