Status: Complete

Past Lives

63

I woke up the next morning in between Jamie and my mama. These two were my support group, and I wouldn’t be anywhere without them.

I sat up trying not to wake them up to see it was only 9 am.

Good. I had time before anyone woke up to get to the airport.

If Brooks really wanted to end this, I was going to take my dream job.

I softly got out of bed and threw together my suitcase. Before I walked out the door, I wrote a small note to Jamie and my mama telling them not to worry about me. Before I could even get to the elevator, I felt someone’s hand on my arm.

“Where are you going?” I heard that someone question.

I turned around to see Max staring into my eyes with concern.

“I am going back to Pittsburgh.” I looked down at the ground. “Brooks doesn’t want me here and I don’t want to be a burden.”

Max shook his head and took my suitcase. “I don’t think so. I am taking you out for breakfast.”
“But-“

“No buts Ads. We need to have a talk.” He said as he took my hand and led me back to his room to drop off my suitcase and then down the back stairs to the streets.

After a few minutes of walking, we came across a hole in the wall restaurant that Max pulled me in and went towards the back booth.

“Maxime, there is nothing to talk about.” I sighed as I sat down.

“Connerie*. Adisyn, I know you and Brooks way too well. Do not act like I don’t see him treating you like shit the past few days. He has even been a dick in the locker room. What is going on?”

I picked at the tablecloth. “Max I wish I knew. One day he was perfectly fine, and then when I returned from work he brushed me completely off. He even told me that I didn’t have to come to Detroit. Usually he is begging me to come, or even packing my suitcase for me. I just don’t know anymore.”

“I swear , if he fucks this up I-“

I looked up at Max. “I don’t need protection Max. I can deal with his doucheness, I have before. It isn’t the first time he has pulled away like this. You would think I would have known better.”

He reached across the table and grabbed my hand. “Ads, you don’t deserve to be treated like shit. I am so sorry.”

“Yeah well. That is why I decided to take the job in Boston.”

He looked at my quizzically. “What job?”

I sighed. “I got offered my dream job up at the Children’s Hospital up in Boston a couple months ago. The person I would be taking over for doesn’t retire until July, so I had until mid June to decide. And since Brooks is being an ass-“

“Don’t go.”

I looked up at him. “Excuse me?”

He sat back. “I said don’t go.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Why Max? What is there in Pittsburgh for me?”

“A lot of things.”

“Such as?”

“Me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Max I-“

He put up a hand. “Just listen to me for once okay? I never really got over you, and I know that we will never be together again; I just want you to know that I will always be your friend, confidante, and partner in crime against all the other evil hockey players we like to call my teammates. If you leave now to go take that job, who will be there to cheer me up when I play bad or play cruel pranks on the boys?”

“Marc?” I said with a smile.

He rolled his eyes. “Forget it. I don’t even know why I tried.”

I shook my head and took his hand. “Max, I know what you mean. And I appreciate it, but what about-“

“What about Brooks? Fuck him. If he wants to continue to be a dick, then it is his problem. You are too good for that Ads. Just consider it. You have time to still consider that job.”

I bit my lip. “Okay fine. But if anyone asks, you know nothing about the job.”

“My lips are sealed.”

---

After we got eating, we walked back to the hotel, reminiscing and laughing about all the pranks we have pulled all season. As soon as we got off the elevator, we ran into Brooks, who looked like he met the ugly side of Jamie’s fist the night before.

“Where were you two?” He said as he crossed his arms.

I rolled my eyes. “Oh so now you care?”

“Ads don’t start with your sh-“

Max stepped in front of me. “Dude. Seriously, all we did was go have some breakfast so I could talk her out of leaving your ass.”

Brooks’ face softened. “Yo-you were gonna leave? Why?”

“Cause you are a conceited bit-“

I placed a hand on Max’s arm to stop him. “Max, it’s okay. I can handle this.”

He nodded and stared at Brooks. “If you need anything, come find me.”

As he walked away, I felt Brooks pull me into his room.

“I can walk on my own ya know.”

“Ads, we need to talk.” He said as he shut the door.

I rolled my eyes. “Why? So you can be a dick somemore? Please, I have other things I can be doi-“

“I’m sorry.”

I stared at him blankly. “You are sorry? For what Brooks? Do you even know what you did?”

“I was a dick. And you didn’t deserve it.” He said as he walked towards me. “Ads, I cannot lose you again cause of my stupidity.”

I sighed and sat on the bed. “Then why did you distant yourself from me? What did I do?”

He stood there for a minute before he answered. “Nothing. I just was an asshole for no reason. Which makes this even worse.”

I knew he was hiding something, but I didn’t want to cause another fight.

“Brooks, I understand it’s the finals and there is a ton of pressure, but please, I am begging you, don’t take it out on me. I wanna be here, by your side, when you guys lift that cup. And if you keep pushing me away, I don’t know if I will be.”

He took my hand and helped me stand up. “Ads, I wouldn’t do anything else to jeopardize this relationship than I already have. And when it is our turn to win that cup, I want you here too.”

I smiled. “You know this year is yo-“

He placed his lips on mine to silence me.

When he eventually pulled away, he smiled and moved my hair out of my face.

“Let’s no jinx it, shall we?”
♠ ♠ ♠
hope yall are enjoying the story. best is yet to come.

*connerie means bullshit in french :D