Status: Complete

Past Lives

8

After Jamie failed to text me back about meeting up with us, I told Noelle I was heading home.

It doesn’t help that I was distracted by that jersey.

Was there a real possibility of Brooks being in Pittsburgh?

I shook my head and bundled up in my coat as I walked to my car. I was trying to text Jamie as I bumped into something, or someone.

“Oh my god! I am so sorry!”

I looked up to see a gorgeous man smiling down at me. “It’s fine. What is a beautiful girl like yourself doing out by herself?”

I smiled. “I’m actually leaving the bar and heading home. Long day tomorrow at work.”

We stood there talking for a few more minutes before two guys walked over.

“Dude, Max. Are you ready to go? I need another drink.” The blonde one said.

Max rolled his eyes. “Yeah let’s go Jordan. It was nice running into you…”

I gave him my hand. “Adisyn.”

He took my hand and kissed it. “It was a pleasure. See you around?”

We exchanged numbers before he and his friends went into some bar. I walked the rest of the way to my car with a smile on my face.

When I arrived back at the house, I saw Jamie’s car and no lights on. Either she is sleeping or likes the dark.

I knock on her door and walked in.

“So I saw something interesting tonight…”

She rolled over and looked at me. “Oh? What?”

I leaned against her door frame. “An Orpik jersey.”

“Oh my god Ads. I-“

“How long have you known he was in town?”

“I promise you I just found out tonight when I was at the game. Ads, his playing technique is the sam-“

I covered my ears. “I do not care! You knew for a fact that I would have never taken this job here if I knew he was playing here. I would of applied for that job in Chicago or San Francisco, instead I am here in the same city as my ex boyfriend who I have tried long and hard to get over!”

She sat up in her bed. “But you aren’t over him are you?”

I rubbed my temple. “That’s not the point. The point is, I cannot be here.”

“This is exactly why I didn’t plan on you finding out. Ads this is your dream job. Don’t give it up cause of a stupid guy.”

I put my hand up to stop her. “I’m done discussing this. I have an early morning ahead. I’ll see you sometime in the afternoon.”

As I walked into my room and laid on my bed, I started to remember everything about mine and Brooks’ relationship, and what went wrong, and the tears started to fall.

He chose to be a hockey player and to leave me behind.

Pittsburgh was a big city right?

There is no way that I would ever see him.

I hope.