All in Good Time

Details, Details.

Baylee and I have gotten close since she got here. It’s so far been a month. Baylee lost count after her first week. Sometimes keeping track of all the time you’ve spent locked up is harder. Trying to forget you’re even there is much easier. For me, it’s easier to be observant. Focus my attention on something and try and remember every detail about it. For instance:

Iris, she was here before me. She must have been beautiful when she was young. But now wrinkles stretch across her aged face. Laugh lines around her still pink cheeks. Deep blue sullen eyes, always plagued with worry. She doesn’t talk much, but when she does she is very wise. “We are in here for a reason.” She always says. “Everything happens for a reason.” I always thought, if she were out practicing her powers she’d be a respected elder. Possibly a good, insightful, wonderful witch who just wants to help. She doesn’t talk about how she got caught or the reasoning behind her imprisonment but, I can’t help but wonder.

Nakita, she came in with the group I came in with. I would classify her as a seductress. When we were caught she was wearing a little red dress. Dark hair down to her waist. Smoldering green eyes, that told a story of love, lust and want. Now? They told only of loneliness. Like she could not live if she didn’t have the companionship she desired. When we came in, they took her in back. They cut her hair to her shoulders and put her in the gray sweatpants and tee-shirt’s they put us all in. They took away her color and I would assume by looking at her, her soul. She doesn’t move from her corner of the room, her knees always pressed to her chest, starring blankly at the wall. Some of us don’t take this as well as the others.

Scarlett, she’s the youngest of all of us. She’s five and she loves to tell us that whenever she can. Her hair is in long ringlets that hang around her face. She used to have an adorable little pink bow until they took it away. When she came in, all of us were confused and saddened by her presence. She had no problem telling us what, exactly, she was doing there.

“My mommy is a witch,” she said, “Gramma said that she went to live with the good white witch and that when I’m older I’ll be able to see her again. She told me that I had to hide. Because there are evil men that didn’t like my mommy. She said because she was a witch that means I am too.” she explained. “Gramma went to live with the good white witch too. The men came and got me and told me that ‘little orphan witches cannot live all alone.’ So they brought me here.” she smiled up at us, and humbled all of our hearts.

Then there’s Baylee, she’s my age. About twenty-five if you’re counting. She’s a gorgeous girl. Deep waves of golden hair fall just below her collar bone. Her eyes are a hazel color. I’ve been close enough to her to know that freckles have grown all around her cheeks and her lips are shaped like a child’s. She has this innocent look about her. Like a lost child trying to find her way home. But, if you knew anything about her you’d know that isn’t true. Out of all of us I’d say she is the most vindictive, menacing and revenge driven. And somehow, that makes me want to be close to her. Find out her plans and be a part of them.

So many details that I keep in my head. Like now, in a few minutes the tour will come through. We will get laughed at, talked about. People will throw rotting fruits and vegetables threw the bars of our cell. Occasionally there is a child who is intrigued by us and will stop and stare but is quickly hurried on by their parents. But, there’s always that little seed of hope that they are all alone and can be our salvation. Only if we had a plan. We never did.

“Lana?” I turned slowly to the voice. “Is it time for the tour?” Scarlett asked.

“Yes, it is.” I answered as the first line of people came down the block.