All in Good Time

When Your Alone

The humans seemed to be low on rotting food today. Good for us annoying for them. Four lines of people went by. Stopping momentarily at our cell. One by one they came by pointing and laughing like we were zoo animals. Some even took pictures, as if to make this memory immortal. Scarlett hid behind me trying not to get hit with something. I was doing my best to protect her, sometimes though, my best wasn’t enough. By the time the fifth line of people started coming we were all covered in filth and Baylee was at my side.

“When does it stop?” She asked me. I didn’t have to look at her to answer.

“It doesn’t.” I said grimly.

“For now,” she muttered. I was going to ask her what she meant, but she was already making her way to the front of the cell. She stood there, gripping one of the bars so tightly that her knuckles had started to turn white. A smirk slowly crept across her face as a teenage girl made her way closer to her. She was alone. I noticed instantly in both Baylee’s and girls body language what was going on.

The girl was alone. That could only mean one thing. Whenever someone comes in alone, without a parent or adult it means they are interested, intrigued by our situation. Sometimes, even, they are witches them selves. Danger junkies, is how I always thought of them. Hiding in plain sight, going on a tour through the prison where they might be held in the distant future if all works out well. But, when a girl comes in as young as this one, if she is a witch she is inexperienced and impressionable. The girl veered closer to the cell where Baylee was standing. She stood about five feet three inches tall. Her hair was in long brown curls that stopped at her elbows. Her eyes were green and almond shaped. She was beautiful. And exactly what Baylee was looking for.

I walked to where Baylee stood and nudged her shoulder. She held up her finger signaling for me to wait.

“Hey,” she whispered, “girl.” The girl looked at Baylee and I with a blank expression. I would have thought she might be scared. But then she smiled.

“Yes?” she asked looking from Baylee to me. “What can I do for you?” Baylee chuckled and looked around.

“You want to take a risk girl?” Baylee asked her. “Do you have powers?” the girls face dropped.

“My name is Myrna, and I am a mortal.” she said, the smile had disappeared.

“Perfect, come back tomorrow at the same time. I will have something for you. Go now.” Baylee said, and like a robot Myrna turned and made her way down the rest of the block.

“What are you doing?” I asked, excited by whatever it was that was going on inside Baylee’s mind.

“I need something sharp.” she said. I went over to my bunk. I ripped off my sheet and plunged my hand inside the mattress. I had an old quill pen my grandfather had given me. I used to write all my spells with it. Thinking ahead I grabbed my last piece of parchment and handed both to Baylee.

“Wonderful,” I watched her silently. Wondering what she was doing.

Baylee took the pen and pricked her finger with the sharp end. Blood bubbled from her skin and she smiled.

“Hold this,” she said handing me the pen.

“Baylee,” I started but she was writing on the piece of parchment.

Through the darkness comes a light
To guide us through this horrid night
To free us from this living hell
To break down the walls of this smothering cell
To make an army of compassionate youth
To let them know our final truth.
To finally escape from where were kept
And make as though we never left


Baylee looked at me with wide excited eyes. “we’ve been here long enough.”