All in Good Time

Countdown Begins

I watched Baylee pace back and fourth across the cell. Wondering what she was thinking and what her plan was. I wondered about the spell. It was written in witches blood. Meaning a non-witch could read and perform the spell. She was making an army, I was sure of that much at least.

An army of children? Teenagers like Myrna who are all too willing to sacrifice their lives, and possibly souls to set us free. I couldn’t decide if my desire for freedom was so strong that I’d forfeit souls of innocent youth. Only time could tell.

“Baylee,” I said, expecting her attention to turn immediately to me. “Baylee?” I said again when she didn’t answer the first time. I crossed the crowed cell carefully. When I reached Baylee I realized she was muttering something to herself.

“Freedom, break down the walls, need another spell.” was all I could make out from my vantage point. I was close enough to place my hand on her shoulder. It startled her.

“Lana! Goodness! You scared me.” she said, shaking her head as if the shake the thoughts free. “I’m sorry I was thinking.” she said, excusing her strange behavior.

“Is everything alright?” I asked, my hand still firmly on her shoulder.

“Yes, I’m fine.” she smiled and turned from me.

“Baylee, what Is your plan?” I asked, hoping that she’d answer me. Everyone was sleeping by this time. I couldn’t think of a reason she’d keep it a secret. Baylee stopped pacing and looked at me.

“I suppose you should know, since you’re going to be a big part of it.” she said, she lowered her voice an octave. “we are making and army to kill the king.”

“Kill the king? Are you insane?!” I asked, louder than I should have.

“A little, but that’s besides the point.”

“How do you suppose we are going to kill the king while we are locked in this cell?” I questioned. Thinking I had a valid point.

“If you’d shut up and let me finish you’d understand better.” I opened my mouth to speak but shut it instantly. I wanted to know what she was thinking.

“Good, Myrna is going to come back again with the first tour, like I told her. I’m going to give her the spell and she’s going to read it off. All the people in town you are impressionable enough to let the spell into their souls are going to flock towards Myrna. When the second tour comes, we are going to escape and lead the army to the castle and kill the king.” she explained nonchalantly.

“How are we going to escape?” I asked her, weary of that part of the plan.

“You just leave that up to me.” suddenly the clock on the far wall chimed eight A.M. Baylee smiled. “I think it’s time we start counting down how long we have left.”

“Three hours and seven minutes.”